1 mph over the limit and you are nicked (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We have a speed limiter on our car, we have noticed when it's set to 30mph, those signs that flash your speed at you generally read 27 mph....so which one is wrong? Also is 30 mph the same reading on every car. You would think so these days with computers, but who knows for sure. o_O

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Just hope the speed cameras and radar guns are accurate enough to make it fair.

The average speed check cameras are probably much fairer and safer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have a speed limiter on our car, we have noticed when it's set to 30mph, those signs that flash your speed at you generally read 27 mph....so which one is wrong? Also is 30 mph the same reading on every car. You would think so these days with computers, but who knows for sure. o_O

The speedo on the car must not show a slower speed than you are actually going - but may (most?) show you are going faster than you actually are - so the flashy signs are probably more correct.

And ours is the same. The speedo shows 30 and the sign says 27.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Just hope the speed cameras and radar guns are accurate enough to make it fair.

The average speed check cameras are probably much fairer and safer.
Nope they aren't, home office approval tolerance allowed would let 1 mph be permissible tolerance, which is actually why the 10% + 2 mph rule exists.

This comes up so often, and it is simply headline grabbing. The reasons are as follows:
1) There aren't sufficiently accurate speed detection devices around to catch speeders using zero tolerance.
2) Any reasonably clued up solicitor would defeat a speeding charge at 1 mph over the limit.
3) To class someone doing 71 mph in the same class as someone doing 100 mph on the motorway is farcical.

It will never happen, so I wouldn't get to het up about it, the last time we saw it, it was because a particular force wanted more money I believe!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Every thing get tried out in Scotland first pole tax lower drinking limits now this
bill

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I notice the comparison between speedo and Garmin nav which always shows 2 mph faster than speedo and beeps if I exceed the limit , a handy warning although all limits not correct.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
mph....so which one is wrong? Also is 30 mph the same reading on every car. You would think so these days with computers, but who knows for sure. o_O

To do that you would need to take into account tread depth, possible with sensors and electronics, but at what cost and would you be prepared to pay for it.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hmm. My speedometer always reads around 3mph slower than my Snooper satnav and I have noticed that when I am in a 50 mph zone on the Mway and following the speedo, lorries often pass. So I'd tend to agree with what others have said about it being obligatory for the speedo to overstate your speed. As for treating 71mph the same as 100mph, I believe the latter automatically gets you banned and no wonder nowadays.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
With errors in speedos, errors in speed cameras and errors in radar guns, even the most inept defence attorney would get a prosecution thrown out of court.
If they do introduce it, the 6 month pilot would soon show how unworkable it is.
Of course, the best way to avoid getting ticketed, is to drive within the speed limit anyway, a task which is completely beyond some drivers.

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Just completed aa driveteck course again speeding limits are set by cchief constable area to erea 10 percent plus 9mph (42in a30)) Notts Wales is 2 percent plus 1mph speedometer is set at 3mph so if you stay with in speedo reading you will always be under the speed limits

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I read a slightly different twist on this, they were going to issue speed awareness course tickets to the 1-10% over, raking in massive revenue, courses costing more than fines and hugely higher than the cost of putting on the course

Not sure where we would stand on disputing the call to the course

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
And from the motorcycle perspective, most modern bike speedometers show 5 MPH faster then your actual speed. This is done to remove any slight glitches from electrical speedo's. This came from a BMW mechanic.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The EU limits for the speedometer accuracy on a new vehicle are :
Plus10%+10kph (6.2mph), Minus 0% for the life of the vehicle.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
And from the motorcycle perspective, most modern bike speedometers show 5 MPH faster then your actual speed. This is done to remove any slight glitches from electrical speedo's. This came from a BMW mechanic.
I thought motorcycles were exempt from speed limits ( and lane discipline).

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I notice the comparison between speedo and Garmin nav which always shows 2 mph faster than speedo and beeps if I exceed the limit , a handy warning although all limits not correct.

The "Sat Nav" is useful for assessing the accuracy of a Speedometer IN A STRAIGHT LINE. On a curve the "vector" effect will corrupt the accuracy. On the last 5 vehicles we have seen errors of -3 to -5 MPH, which increases as speed increases.

Pedantry!!:- I once set the dash cam up to be able to see the Speedo and the sat nav, which was interesting. What was more interesting the car had a Fuel consumption feature. and on playback we noticed that the fuel consumption at 60mph was better than at 50mph. Running a check it appears that (on that particular vehicle) the Auto gearbox changes down from 6th to 5th when the speed drops below 53mph. hence the engine was running at higher rev`s and more consumption in 5th that 6th. So a local 50mph restriction was costing me more money!!

Pete

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
You mean I only did 158mph on my Blackbird

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The thing about being booked for speeding is that the reading they use is never the true speed of the vehicle, If it was then there would be a lot of dead policemen. The place from which it is measured is ALWAYS to the side or from above.except on a bend. This must by maths give a non accurate figure. The further to the side the higher the misreading. The only true point is directly in front of the vehicle at the same height.
Visualise a triangle of vectors , path of vehicle as A.
Right angle from the path is B
and the hypotenuse is C.
The hypotenuse C is always greater than the the path of the vehicle A and depends on the distance from the centre of the path of that vehicle path A to the point at which it was taken which is distance B
Simple maths gives the difference, If B is significant ie three lanes of a dual carriageway and the reading taken at a short distance the greater the error. It could make a LOT OF DIFFERENCE to a court case if the magistrates are not too stupid to understand the theory and the speed quoted by the Police not a deal over the limit.
I saw a case of a motorcyclist sent to prison for dangerous driving for doing 100mph in the wet with his young son on the back. The policeman took the reading from a layby at about 70degrees from the road and the reading was filmed at the time for the evidence to the Court. The driver pleaded guilty following advice from an idiot Barrister to reduce his sentence. using the film he was shown over-taking a lorry(56mph) and took ten seconds to do so. Where was the 100mph then . Maybe the lorry???
People tend to roll over when faced by this kind of evidence without. The magistrates accepting it as true without question.
Should this ever happen to you over a small speed difference, then ask the correction table figures and the case will collapse, as there will not be one and the evidence not acceptable to the court. Bear it in mind in the future. Might be useful to you if they play silly figures. then play the silly figures back.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
The reason road fatalities are going up ?? Just look at the number of foreigners driving on UK roads who got their licences out of a cornflake packet or by deception or bribery and you will find the answer.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
How much do you have to concentrate on your speedo instead of looking forward to avoid going 1mph over the limit?
Heading down the M6 between Manchester and Birmingham on the 3rd January, in very heavy rain.

Travelling in the middle lane at about 60mph the car in front suddenly braked very hard, for no apparent reason. Luckily, I had left sufficient gap between us to avoid a collision.

I then spotted the Police van parked on the bridge across the Motorway.

Such is our paranoia nowadays that the mere sight of a Police car/van or speed camera leads to emergency braking before we have time to check our speedometer. I have even found myself braking even though I was travelling on Cruise Control, set 2mph below the limit.

I wonder how many accidents are caused by such circumstances. A cost/benefit analysis may be revealing.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
How much do you have to concentrate on your speedo instead of looking forward to avoid going 1mph over the limit?
I have my sat nav on the windscreen so I can glance at it regularly and see my speed. My sat nav shows 3o when my speedo shows 31, so if I go by my speedo, I should never go over the limit.
Luckily, my car speedo is in large numerals as well as the standard dial, so it's very easy to see it without taking my eyes off the road for long, plus, my sat nav gives me an audible warning when I exceed the limit for the road I am on.
knowing my luck lately, I'll probably get a ticket next week!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back