eberspatcher night heater (1 Viewer)

tones

Free Member
Jul 15, 2009
Funster No
hi, all
can anyone tell me if they have had a silencer fitted to a d1l 12v diesel night heater as mine is quite noisy from the exhaust although the oullet is 1mtr in length,

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
Have a webasto and even with the silencer, I think it is noisier than it might be. Usually not a problem as we generally bush-camp and go out of our way to avoid being hemmed in by agoraphobics, but certainly a lot noisier than the Truma gas one we have.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
had a D3l.. which is the 3kw version of what you have, and currently have a D5W, which is the 5kw water heater,

without an exhaust silencer they sound like a jet engine spooling up as they fire up... because it is basicaly a turbine fan and a jet of burning diesel inside the combustion chamber,

once running they give off a dull roar so to speak,

without an intake silencer they whistle,

on my instlation i have 2 exhaust silencers, and have a fairly quiet exhaust, i've used the eberspacher silencers as that;s what the heater is, but apparantly the webasto silencer is a little better, one day i'll get one of them and add it to my 2 existing eberspacher silencers.

i also have the intake silencer, the eberspacher one is a 1 meter flexi tube inside a larger tube, holes in the smaller tube, insulation between the inner and outer tube, does the job,

But i have a webasto intake silencer, this screws into the end of a plain bit of intake tube, and is very very effective, cheaper than the eberspacher intake silencer.

Once you have silenced the exhaust and intake, you'll notice the fuel pump ticking is really annoying, especialy if it's bolted to the chassis rail with the supplied rubber coated P clip,

my pump has the P clip, through the bolt hole is a mini's exhaust bobbin, other side of that is a short length of heater hose bolted on, top of the heater hose is another bobbin bolted to the chassis rail,

i can barely hear the ticking of the pump inside the van, outside it's practicaly inaudiable,

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Have a webasto and even with the silencer, I think it is noisier than it might be. Usually not a problem as we generally bush-camp and go out of our way to avoid being hemmed in by agoraphobics, but certainly a lot noisier than the Truma gas one we have.

these diesel heaters are always going to be noisier than the smae type of gas fired jobbies, just due to the way they work, but they are putting out a bit more heat.

park next to an american RV and listen to their heaters... the water heaters are noisey things, a proper roar when they fire up, the furnace noise some of them make puts an unsilenced eberspacher to shame :)

Forgot to put in my other post,, if your heater is the D1L and not the D1LC version... i.e. the one with external controll boxes, then you must make the intake and exhaust pipes lengths the same, this is pretty critical for the early heaters,

the C versions which have everything in one unit, can have different length intake and exhaust pipes,

also, put the exhaust silencer as close to the heater as you can, most people stick it on the end of the pipe as that's easiest, then moan it dont work, but eberspacher tell you to put it right at the heater end of the pipe with a very short link pipe for it to work properly, and dont forget to shorten the exhaust pipe by the length of the silencer to match the length of the inlet if you have the early heater.

alf

Free Member
Apr 7, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
eberspacher noise

In order to try to quieten my eberspacher I tried adding a further eberspacher silencer in series to the existing one --- this didn’t work it seems that the more critical thing is the length of the exhaust pipe unfortunately due to the position of the eberspacher unit I cannot do this.

Regards

Alf

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
adding a second silencer to my eberspacher helped, didnt make it silent, not sure you could ever do that,

not sure if my way of positioning them helped or not, i basicaly bolted the 2 silencers to each other with spacers, so they basicaly doubled back on them selves, exhaust from heater goes into one, linp pipe does a 180 degree turn from exit of first to entrance of 2nd silencer, then the exit of the 2nd does a 90 degree turn to the edge of the van.

i have my exhaust pointing slightly downwards, so the grass abosrbs some of the noise too, but on tarmac it can amplify it a bit, cant win really tho.

alf

Free Member
Apr 7, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
eberspacher noise

adding a second silencer to my eberspacher helped, didnt make it silent, not sure you could ever do that,

not sure if my way of positioning them helped or not, i basicaly bolted the 2 silencers to each other with spacers, so they basicaly doubled back on them selves, exhaust from heater goes into one, linp pipe does a 180 degree turn from exit of first to entrance of 2nd silencer, then the exit of the 2nd does a 90 degree turn to the edge of the van.

i have my exhaust pointing slightly downwards, so the grass abosrbs some of the noise too, but on tarmac it can amplify it a bit, cant win really tho.

This is the identical way in fact the only way I could fit mine with restricted space under van in the position the heater was fitted by Auto-Sleepers
it cut the noise slightly but we are reluctant to use on a sites early in the morning.

Alf

May 22, 2008
Funster No
I parked next to a van on a Rally,that had one of those fitted and we moved away from it because of the constant noise it made, glad I don't have one on my van ,efficient they may be ,quiet they 'aint. :Blush::Blush:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
I remember being parked next to a Scania in Italy and his night heater was so loud that someone silenced it with a spud in the exhaust!:Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back