Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Lancaster tonight, 40 litres of diesel for £4.50. (y) That's the price of a second hand plastic drum and a length of garden hose. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We are currently on two weeks R&R in La Palma, one of the small Canary Islands. Walked past a filling station today and diesel was 79.9 cents/litre (about 60 pence).
Pity we can't fetch any home!!

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Nows the time to fill up all your zippo's......... Hahahaha...(y)

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
be nicer still if it was gallons not litres i can remember more than 4 gallons for a pound

I used to work part time after school and work at a local Esso garage -regular was 4/6 per gallon ,which is in old money 4shillings and 6pence. Super was 4/10 and supreme was 4/11.5 four and elevenandahalfpenney( eleven and a half pence)
I remember a guy in a jag used to come in every Friday and have 4 gallons of supreme(5*)-keep the change son he used to say as he held out a £1 note. A tuppence tip( 2 pennys)-on a petrol station-wow-I earned 2/6 an hour.

the good old days:LOL:

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
(y)I filled up yesterday at 89cents a litre with 4 cents off with a countdown voucher,:)
and with the exchange rate of $2.20 New Zealand dollars to the pound it makes for a very cheap holiday while we are here;)
but we have to head back in April:(

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
I used to work part time after school and work at a local Esso garage -regular was 4/6 per gallon ,which is in old money 4shillings and 6pence. Super was 4/10 and supreme was 4/11.5 four and elevenandahalfpenney( eleven and a half pence)
I remember a guy in a jag used to come in every Friday and have 4 gallons of supreme(5*)-keep the change son he used to say as he held out a £1 note. A tuppence tip( 2 pennys)-on a petrol station-wow-I earned 2/6 an hour.

the good old days:LOL:

Must have been about the same time as I worked (part time) in an Esso station. Our Esso Golden was 4/11 per gallon and I seem to remember the price label on the pumps said "including 3/9 tax" (For the younger people on here : 4/11 = about 24.5 pence; 3/9 = about 19 pence.)

Dave

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We are currently on two weeks R&R in La Palma, one of the small Canary Islands. Walked past a filling station today and diesel was 79.9 cents/litre (about 60 pence).
Pity we can't fetch any home!!

that's because the tax & vat are at a lower rate in the Canaries.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
you could go live in Libya and have no rip off tax... .. your choice..
In what alternative way would you like to pay the same amount of tax then? :)

Seems most of the world gets by paying less fuel tax...?
Or do you seem to forget that when the fuel prices were nearly £1.50 a ltr here you weren't complaing...!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

seems like most of the World has no free health care either ...

Taxation by country and working out who is paying the most is to say the least very complex ..

for example.. in one country they pay less fuel tax but higher income tax .. so to simply take one type of tax, be it fuel, VAT or whatever isn't a fair comparison..

For every penny spent by Government, be it on NHS, Armed forces, OAP pensions, health care, unemployment benefit, etc etc has to be paid for by taxation.. the government has no money of it's own.

Some countries export more and have an abundance of natural resources, so they are richer and citizens pay less tax .. eg.. Saudi Arabia ,

The days of The Empire and exploiting poor countries is over.. we have to pay our way .. one way or the other..

so, the only way to get lower taxes is to earn more or spend less... simple economics.. nothing to do with 'ripping off'

Reactions: GJH
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

Taxation by country and working out who is paying the most is to say the least very complex ..

for example.. in one country they pay less fuel tax but higher income tax .. so to simply take one type of tax, be it fuel, VAT or whatever isn't a fair comparison..

For every penny spent by Government, be it on NHS, Armed forces, OAP pensions, health care, unemployment benefit, etc etc has to be paid for by taxation.. the government has no money of it's own.

Some countries export more and have an abundance of natural resources, so they are richer and citizens pay less tax .. eg.. Saudi Arabia ,

The days of The Empire and exploiting poor countries is over.. we have to pay our way .. one way or the other..

so, the only way to get lower taxes is to earn more or spend less... simple economics.. nothing to do with 'ripping off'

Exactly...! Seems we all like to moan about something....

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yes, and as Jim said they receive far fewer services as well.
Or do you seem to forget that when the fuel prices were nearly £1.50 a ltr here you weren't complaing...!
I complained about the unwarranted price rises imposed by the fuel sellers but not about the tax because it is a case of pay it that way or pay it another way. As I've posted many times over the years, tax can only be raised from those who have the means to pay it. The result is that it will come, in some shape or form, from the vast majority of us - the same people who are using the services provided from it.
Don't forget that fuel duty in the UK has stayed the same for about 5 years so price rises within that period have only resulted from oil companies/wholesalers/retailers putting the prices up.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.

Still awaiting the news that Pakistan, India, Thailand, and Indonesia are sending us flood relief money.........:rofl::rofl:. If we didn't spend so much in stupid overseas aid, we could afford better bombs to use on ISIS. (y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Still awaiting the news that Pakistan, India, Thailand, and Indonesia are sending us flood relief money.........:rofl::rofl:. If we didn't spend so much in stupid overseas aid, we could afford better bombs to use on ISIS. (y)
Wouldn't work. No matter how big a hole you make in Daesh held territory it would be too far away for the flood water to fill.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun