What is "Living the Dream" to you? (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Parked for a day yesterday on a massive site in Spain. I was having a cycle around looking for Funster stickers but mostly being nosey; when I noticed a massive fifth wheel barely wedged into a plot. Almost flush with the road so vehicles pass just inches away from the bedroom window . On the business side of the Fiver there wasn’t much pitch left, but a bit of decking and a pair of wicker chairs completed the set up. Their outlook was over waste ground through a chain link fence just a few feet away. While this would be hell on earth for me, there, almost as big as the bedroom window, was a sticker, proudly proclaiming "Living the Dream"

I didn't speak to these people, nor know anything of their personal circumstances; that plot might well have been heaven compared to where they'd come from and while their dream certainly wasn't mine, they may well be living their dream. Dreams are personal, and thankfully very different :)

What is/would be "living the dream" for you

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I'm living my dream each and every day being close to my family and friends and having enough in my bank account for a few pleasures. I think some of these people missed out during their youth somehow. Another one is "spending the kids inheritance":)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Living the dream for me is being able to do what you want, whenever you want. These two entities do not come together everyday, so not everyday is living the dream, but if it happens more often than not then you are on to a winner.

That pitch with the 5th wheeler on sounds horrible to me, but each to their own. This morning we are tucked up in our van as there is a very cold wind blowing, but have a glourious view over the Sierra Espuna national park. Yesterday we did a 6/7 mile walk through the park, followed by a slap up lunch and a couple of glasses of wine. It was hill, my legs ache this morning and I have a huge blister on my heel, but that is certainly my version of 'Living the Dream'.

Personally I love being free from someone else's agenda, any choices I/we make are ours, even if they turn out to be duff ones.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
We don't live a dream, just live to enjoy life (what's left of it).
Many people tell you they are living the dream as though they are looking for some form of acceptance, very much like plastering it all over the back of there 'dream machine'.
That's not for me, but we are all different and I am no different to many.
We do what we want when we want and and what other people think of what we do we have no control over.
Just to wake each morning and know you have another day is as good as it gets.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Living the Dream? A combination of many things falling right to enable us to do what we want when we want, and not always involving the motorhome. Although retired and reasonably free from financial restraints, other demands on our time, particularly medical appointments although mostly routine, do keep us grounded too regularly when we could be on a cruise with friends or doing one or two far flung trips we still hope to do.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
We don't live a dream, just live to enjoy life (what's left of it).
Many people tell you they are living the dream as though they are looking for some form of acceptance, very much like plastering it all over the back of there 'dream machine'.
That's not for me, but we are all different and I am no different to many.
We do what we want when we want and and what other people think of what we do we have no control over.
Just to wake each morning and know you have another day is as good as it gets.

What he said, to save me typing it all out !!!!
Have friends / business associates who would always talk about wanting to own x or do y by a certain age or time..
Just go with the flow :)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Living the dream for me is being able to do what you want, whenever you want. These two entities do not come together everyday, so not everyday is living the dream, but if it happens more often than not then you are on to a winner.

That pitch with the 5th wheeler on sounds horrible to me, but each to their own. This morning we are tucked up in our van as there is a very cold wind blowing, but have a glourious view over the Sierra Espuna national park. Yesterday we did a 6/7 mile walk through the park, followed by a slap up lunch and a couple of glasses of wine. It was hill, my legs ache this morning and I have a huge blister on my heel, but that is certainly my version of 'Living the Dream'.

Personally I love being free from someone else's agenda, any choices I/we make are ours, even if they turn out to be duff ones.

Absolutely right...

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
there is no dream life

Sorry to disagree Jim, but I honestly think there is...

I used to suffer from really bad depression, I lived a miserable life

Then one day I realised that when you wake up in the morning you have two choices, to be happy or to be miserable.

Guess which one I chose now?

And when things go wrong, as they do from time to time, I always look for the cubic centimeter of opportunity- it's always there, you just need to find it.

Money, power, succees and 'stuff' don't come into it.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Not sure about living the dream because we all need goals that's what gets us out of bed everyday. Wandering around the world in our old van or on my motorbike is fantastic but we couldn't do it forever it would become tedious.

Happiness, health and a contented life is about as good as it gets I reckon and the choice to do what you want each day. Easier said than done. certainly isn't about money or possessions.

Maybe we're close we don't need to work we can travel when and where we want we have time to pursue our hobbies, our kids and grand kids are healthy happy and all doing well that's probably as good as it gets.:):)

Arrgghh will it last though.:eek::eek:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp

I used to suffer from really bad depression, I lived a miserable life

Then one day I realised that when you wake up in the morning you have two choices, to be happy or to be miserable.

Guess which one I chose now?

And when things go wrong, as they do from time to time, I always look for the cubic centimeter of opportunity- it's always there, you just need to find it.

Money, power, succees and 'stuff' don't come into it.

Oh so true.
About 20 years ago I suffered a really bad bout of depression it was a terrible dark time I never ever want to return too.
My kids got me through it especially the youngest who would sit patiently with a football on his lap and the old border collie by his side waiting for me to feel well enough to go outside and play.
Nowadays no matter what happens or how bad things are I always look for the positive and refuse to focus on negative things, it works.
Good luck(n)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

yes.. indeed ... I agree

but not in the context of the OP.. ie .. living 'full time' in a van.. it's just life, and it gets boring ..it's not the 'dream life'

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My avatar shows my sort of perfect pitch - although we didn't actually stop there overnight as we wanted to press on, which in hindsight was a bad decision. But then later on in the trip we stayed at the Camperstop Campello Beach near Alicante where we met funsters @Coolbeanz and @Tosan and ended up staying for much longer than we had planned as we had such a good time. So I suppose good scenery, remote places but good company from time to time makes for our dream.

But I am not sure we could do it full time, perhaps one day we may try but then only for a year or so. Our next trip will be almost three months, each one gets longer. Perhaps four months in 2017!

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Lovely thread Jim. Although I loved my job, I think we are living the dream - retired, no one to answer to, Lovely van parked up ready to go at a moments notice, brilliant friends, all found on your forum, financial security, our health, and - lest I forget - (says she donning hard hat and Kevlar vest) ....
image.jpeg

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I've been living the Dream all of my life, the most fabulous childhood with the best parents anyone could wish for, no money but lots of love and attention.

Married to Jackie for life and two cracking sons who have given me three grandsons. Enjoyed all my working life and have only just retired last July. The dream I missed out on was upgrading to a world class cruising yacht and sailing away circumnavigating the world averaging just 5 or 6 knots.

My best mate begged me to join him in his world cruise but I wasn't ready, then bleeding Cancer raised it's ugly head and postponed it even further.

The best bit is I joined my Pal on many of his various world legs though I saw very little of the Pacific Ocean and now I am not really strong or fit enough to contemplate it alone.

Still dreaming and the yacht brokers are still in contact, this was sent recently but well outside my price range, 13 years old and still up around two million dollars but very capable of world girdling as is any of German Frers designs.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Living the dream is there such a thing there is a thing called being happy and living life as it comes.
I had it all money good life my own home we were living our dream then one of the worst resections since the grate depression.
out on the street in the worst winter in my living memory bailiffs taking every thing you own and throwing it in the street.
But we didn't have any dreams left but still had some hope I sat on my arce in the snow on the 10th of January 2010 .
tears running down my face my dear wife just siting stunned our so called friends and family turning there back on us.
But we still had hop we had a old caravan in stored hadent even looked at it in two years.
I walked six miles to where it was stored thrug snow at times three feat deep
but I had a dream to get us some where warm to stay.
With no money and a very hurt pride we lived in that van for seven month
till we got the house we live in now.
We have had our downs followed by more downs illness depression.
A grand son that needed us no proper prospect of work regular work mental illness and alcohol plagued me.
Needed a total change of carrier looked at the transport industry of I have ben working in it for the last few months.
And we are keeping hope so if having hop is living the dream keep living that dream.
one day it will happen
And with the support and under standing of many on this grate forum any thing is possible.
long may it last and be support to so many
bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back