Google Translate on iPhone (1 Viewer)

Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
Just discovered this app for my new iPhone - bloody hell!!!
Got tickets for CMS Stuttgart and all the accompanying info was in German - naturally.
Switch on the iPhone Camera, hold it over the text and it translates it in real time on the screen! Amazing, apparently it works in 90 languages and will pretty much translate anything in the camera view - menu's roadsigns etc. Not exactly perfect but much better than my German.
Will also work for spoken word as well.
Anyone using it in more detail?
Rave over....
Bill

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It's great isn't it.

There's also another free app called Word Lens that does the same thing.

It's worth having them both as occasionally one will pick up something that the other doesn't (y)

OP
OP
BMStewart2004
Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
It's great isn't it.

There's also another free app called Word Lens that does the same thing.

It's worth having them both as occasionally one will pick up something that the other doesn't (y)
Cheers, Apparently the visual part of google translate is word lens but google have messed it up. If word lens is still available and better I may get it too as we are planning a few trips to France/Belgium this year

Deleted User
Love google translate, one thing I use if for is to practice my French.

Say an English phrase, it gives you the French, click the opposite button and say the French phrase - if you are somewhere near, you get your original phrase spoken back to you in English.

Pronounce it wrong and you can see why sometimes the French smile at you when you actually say something bizarre.

Brilliant learning tool, and free (y)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Say an English phrase, it gives you the French, click the opposite button and say the French phrase - if you are somewhere near, you get your original phrase spoken back to you in English.

Surely one just increases the volume slightly and slows down the pronouncment ? No

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Cheers, Apparently the visual part of google translate is word lens but google have messed it up. If word lens is still available and better I may get it too as we are planning a few trips to France/Belgium this year
Afraid not Google bought Word Lens and incorporated if into their translator, it has some good points, but harder & clunkier to use than Word Lens.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I've been using word lens for about a year now and it is impressive, are you recommending we have two separate Apps?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Might download and try it on my rather thick German User Manual fo MoHo...

I've often wondered what's innit!!!..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back