Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have driven to Spain in cars and motorhomes many , many times and always find it a bit of a drag.

Last Summer we took the car and travelled toll roads all the way via Dijon, so you miss Paris and then hit the French coast.

I thought it was great and much quicker and easier than the usual Rouen drag fest.

It seems to be about 100 miles less too.

What's your route?

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I have returned home that route but when going to Spain in winter we always go along the French West coast route as there is less chance of snow.

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
I have driven to Spain in cars and motorhomes many , many times and always find it a bit of a drag.

Last Summer we took the car and travelled toll roads all the way via Dijon, so you miss Paris and then hit the French coast.

I thought it was great and much quicker and easier than the usual Rouen drag fest.

It seems to be about 100 miles less too.

What's your route?
Sod the toll roads. Daylight robbery charging us as commercial coach/44 tonne operators. I'd rather spend it on wine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We usually travel via Portsmouth overnight and try to get to Bordeux and the warmer weather ASAP.

Usually takes a long day driving at around 350miles but I think it is worth the effort to get to the sunshine. (y):)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Ferry ? Not much more expensive and you drive off into Spain.
Tea Bag

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I manage Dover to Benidorm in 2-1/2 days, the last time in November we had to come home early as Pat's dad was taken ill. I drove from Saints in France to Stoke on Trent with a break for the Calais- Dover ferry 753 miles in one day, sadly Pat's dad passed away 17th Dec.

John.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I always use the N10 route. It's mapped out in the about France.com and can be found in the Resources section. there is also a download for Spanish routes.
Safe Travels

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Hi.
Ferry ? Not much more expensive and you drive off into Spain.
Tea Bag
Love to know how you arrive at this calculation. I've just completed Calais to Beni dorm and it cost me €248 and that includes a complete fill up upon arrival. The cheapest Ferry cost I know of to Spain is around €400 then there is the fuel to pay for to get all the way across Spain to Beni. It's a no brainier when it comes to cost.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
It looked a lot more expensive when I was looking at routes last month.

Depends what you call expensive , there is a crossing on the 26th Jan to Santander for a Motorhome up to 8 meters in length plus 2 adults for £359 including a 2 berth cabin which is a reasonable price IMO
Probably even cheaper if booked through one of the clubs or if you have a discount code from a BF owners cub member

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
The Ferry for me is the last choice,i did say it was a bit more expensive. Tolls one way to the Spanish border ,Calais,Rouen,Bord'x,Bayonne £120 + fuel,wear and tear on vehicle. The driving,thats the bit i love,but others will not,an extra day-'s travel,and you did say,"Route to Spain". Santander to Guarda Portugal 270 odd miles at approx 25 mpg. Then about 130 miles home
Calais, Bayonne 656 miles at 25 mpg 26+ gallons fuel.... sorry,i have run out of fingers to count all this up on,and i am not taking my shoes off to divide/add up the costs at this time in the morning,LOL
So,which way ? "Whatever rocks your........Boat?"
Tea Bag (Ex juggernaut jockey)

Jun 22, 2012
Ebbw Vale Gwent
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048df A class
Exp
seven
You are looking at it the wrong way round; as soon as we set off I’m in holiday mode with every day that passes something new.

Go slower see more, enjoy yourself which ever route you take, take hart from being able to just pack up and move on to the stop if there is something or someone you don’t care for, enjoy life you’re a long time dead.

Deleted User
You are looking at it the wrong way round; as soon as we set off I’m in holiday mode with every day that passes something new.

Go slower see more, enjoy yourself which ever route you take, take hart from being able to just pack up and move on to the stop if there is something or someone you don’t care for, enjoy life you’re a long time dead.

I'm in your camp now I'm retired, but when I was working and had limited holidays, getting to the sun (or snow) quickly was important to maximise holiday time.

The beauty of the motorways is that you can cover hundreds of miles in a day, with minimum stress on the driver and vehicle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back