Domestic central heating help please (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have a bit of a problem and need advise.

It concerns an S plan heating system.

The problem is the heating run continuoisly even with the programmer removed from its back plate.
The room stat has no effect at all.

From what i can see the power is first supplied by the grey wire to both ch and hw port valves (single port spring return) then when either valve is opened via the brown wire (room stat or tank stat) it closes a contact in the respective valve and energises the orange wire which in turn powers the boiler and pump.

If im correct that would constantly power the boiler regardless of stat or programmer if the valve was stuck open.

Am i correct ???

I havent had a proper look at the zone valves yet to see if they have a manual lever due to poor access.

S-Plan-Twin-Zone-Wiring-Diagram-300x272.png

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi papa, yes looking at that schematic I would agree.

Ian

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks Ian.

Its the only thing i can come up with.
I changed the programmer tonight thinking it could be a stuck relay but it continued to run even with the programmer in my hand.

The only thing shutting it down is its own internal stat but that simply cycles as the water in the boiler cools slightly below pre set temp so the boiler runs all day and night.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if yours is wired as per that drawing yes if the valve is open or the micro switch is stuck it will continously run
the blue and brown wire actuate the motor in the valve once it has opened a cam operates a microswitch the grey and orange wire are either side of this switch
to check which valve is causing the problem switch off power take the two orange wires out of their connector in the junction box and seperate switch power on but with clock of the back plate the one thats live is the problem depending how old and what make the valves are you maybe able to just change the head but check theres no leaks and the spindle is easy to move with your fingers putting a new head on a partially seized valve will burn it out in no time

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if yours is wired as per that drawing yes if the valve is open or the micro switch is stuck it will continously run
the blue and brown wire actuate the motor in the valve once it has opened a cam operates a microswitch the grey and orange wire are either side of this switch
to check which valve is causing the problem switch off power take the two orange wires out of their connector in the junction box and seperate switch power on but with clock of the back plate the one thats live is the problem depending how old and what make the valves are you maybe able to just change the head but check theres no leaks and the spindle is easy to move with your fingers putting a new head on a partially seized valve will burn it out in no time
Thank you.
That was my thinking as well but nice to be confirmed.

Hopefully the head can be changed as its really hard to access the zone valves thanks to British Gas fitting all the electricals and plumbing THEN fitting the boiler as close as they could.

I have a gap between boiler and wall of maybe 7" with everything sqeezed in except the pump.

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on and off since 1980
If you turn the power off first you can remove the cover and
check. If I remember correctly there is a bolt that holds the.spring return and microswitch in place. It would not be.the first one where the screw has loosened and left the contacts closed.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
check. If I remember correctly there is a bolt that holds the.spring return and microswitch in place. It would not be.the first one where the screw has loosened and left the contacts closed.
profesionally i dont mess about with the internals as its not cost efective but on your own valve its possibly worth a look you can get the motors seperately so if its a motor gone you could change just that but when im working its always a new head or complete valve

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks, worth checking if i can get at the valve head.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
profesionally i dont mess about with the internals as its not cost efective but on your own valve its possibly worth a look you can get the motors seperately so if its a motor gone you could change just that but when im working its always a new head or complete valve
I have fitted S plans (electrical side) before but never actually took any interest as to how they worked.
I simply followed the diagram for whichever plan....S or Y plan and switched on.
If it worked it was right, if it didnt i made a wiring mistake and sorted it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
This is at my MIL's house, before i got involved she got a plumber in who simply turned down the thermo rad valves to reduce the room temperatures :doh:...served its purpose but it didnt cure the boiler running day and night....i dont think he was very good as a plumber. :rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back