Differences between the Fiat engines 2000-2007 (1 Viewer)

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Hi All,

Can anyone explain the difference between the fiat engines between 2000-2007. I was under the impression that they just became JDT and 2.8?

I have noticed some people talking about timing belts and other differances over the life of this engine.

Is there anything about any of them i should give a wide berth to?

Patrick

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Hi All,

Can anyone explain the difference between the fiat engines between 2000-2007. I was under the impression that they just became JDT and 2.8?

I have noticed some people talking about timing belts and other differances over the life of this engine.

Patrick

The way I've heard some people talk on here you'd think Fiats should be avoided in their entirety.::bigsmile:
We have a 2006 2.8 JTD and (so far, touch wood, say a little prayer) have had no trouble with it, except the horn packed up and there was a recall on the speedo (wrong one fitted to some vehicles).
Admittedly I'd rather have a Merc or even a Renault Master, but I'm reasonable happy with our Fiat. (Now just watch it fail it's MOT next month :Doh:)

John

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
all the fiats have a timing BELT patrick.
chains are old hat now on most engines but were much better in my opinion.
same chain for 150'000miles with maybe a new tensioner pad from time to time.

differences are the belt change periods.

different engines and different years have different change times....both on mileage and time span.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The way I've heard some people talk on here you'd think Fiats should be avoided in their entirety.::bigsmile:
We have a 2006 2.8 JTD and (so far, touch wood, say a little prayer) have had no trouble with it, except the horn packed up and there was a recall on the speedo (wrong one fitted to some vehicles).
Admittedly I'd rather have a Merc or even a Renault Master, but I'm reasonable happy with our Fiat. (Now just watch it fail it's MOT next month :Doh:)

John
Both fiat and Renault share the same Soffin engine unit :thumb:Cracking engines if serviced regularly :thumb:
terry

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Both fiat and Renault share the same Soffin engine unit :thumb:Cracking engines if serviced regularly :thumb:
terry

Oh. Didn't know that. Knew about Fiat Peugeot Citroen, but thought Renault was different. Learn something new every day. (Does that mean if I live long enough I'll get to know everything?:ROFLMAO:)

John

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Oh. Didn't know that. Knew about Fiat Peugeot Citroen, but thought Renault was different. Learn something new every day. (Does that mean if I live long enough I'll get to know everything?:ROFLMAO:)

John

Hi John both Puegot and Citroen share engines, Fiat use there own variation of this in there vans. Soffin which is also used in the French Renault is owned by Fiat,which also own Iveco that Ford re badge as Ford Iveco to sell here :ROFLMAO: On new vans ALL 4 manufacturers have got together to share the same engines :ROFLMAO: It seems they all have fingers in each others pies and now every thing is as clear as mud. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Well thanks' for all that guys, BUT I am still none the wiser about when fiat made the change from standard 2.8TDI to the JTD.

I have heard it was late 2002............???????????????????

Patrick

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi All,

Patrick
Hi Patrick
Just typed the above quote into Google Scouse translater and it came back as, when did Fiat introduce the Jdt engine:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: if no one beats me to it I will check when ive done my Mots and get back to you
Geo

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
AutoData says from 2000,prior engines were 2.8, 2.8 Maxi and 2.8 Turbo:thumb:
you may have to get Eddie to translate that back into Scouse:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
AutoData says from 2000,prior engines were 2.8, 2.8 Maxi and 2.8 Turbo:thumb:
you may have to get Eddie to translate that back into Scouse:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

Thanks; G,

I asked Eddie he just shruged his shoulders and said, I live in runcorn how would I know!

So it seemes the JTD came out in 2000. if Im going to change my van i want to get one with the JTD engine.

hows the Esscape hunt going/

patrick

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
YEARS 2001 TO 2002 MAY STILL HAVE THE 2.8D,2.8 MAXI OR THE 2.8 TURBO FITTED
2003- ON SHOULD GUARANTEE A JTD ALL 2 LTR 2.3 AND 2.8s ARE JTD,s
No plans yet re Escape
Geo

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
FWIW woth my 2005 (but probaly a 2003/4 engine) is badged as an Iveco on all engine covers...which I think all the Fiats etc were from intro of JTD....but I could be wrong....

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

It appears from the link below that the idTD was a normal (non-electric) Turbo Diesel engine so it can't be modified by the use of a Smart box/Re-Chipping/Re-Mapping etc.

The JTD is also a Turbo Diesel but it is electronically controled so can be modified by the use of a smart box/re chipping/ remapping etc.

2.8 JTD or 2.8 IDTD - The FIAT Forum

Hope that helps

Braunston

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back