Memorable smells (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It's funny how some smells associated with motorhoming stick with you long after the event , some pleasant, others not so.

Some nice ones

* Bacon frying in the morning, mmm just love it, even when it's the neighbours
* BBQ ..
* Sea air.. as you cross the channel and when you lie on the beach.
* Fish market.. questionable. :roflmto:
* Fresh coffee brewing
* New mown grass

Some bad

* Diesel fumes, can't forget the smell of sulphur, especially on a hot still morning when I fire up George after a few days rest and it lingers all over the site .. :Blush:

* Dump points.. and black waste ..uggh .. never get used to it.

* Dog poo on flip flops, or worse, bare feet :Angry:

so what ones do you remember ?

Last edited:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Filling up with petrol prior to having the LPG conversion:winky: used to make me weep:Doh:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The smell you love to hate.. The Spanish Sewer

It only stinks that way cos the weather is so good n hot::bigsmile: A small price to pay:Cool:

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
That very special stink of slipped clutch and flayed tyres as you finally get to the top of a precipitous detour on a Northern Moroccan road that the nice policeman assured us was a brand new 4-lane sealed tourist road.

Good or bad?? bit of both that time.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
That very special stink of slipped clutch and flayed tyres as you finally get to the top of a precipitous detour on a Northern Moroccan road that the nice policeman assured us was a brand new 4-lane sealed tourist road.

Good or bad?? bit of both that time.

mmmm.. Morocco, lots there.. came/donkey dung stuck inside the wheel arch and public toilets .. :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
It's not something I smelt, rather what someone would smell.....

When the kids were young, we hired a small Audi at Garmisch in Germany, to go and visit the Neuschwanstein castle. We stopped on the way to buy lunch. Number one son pulled the ashtray out of the door panel, and stuffed a bratwurst, frites, curry sauce, and the contents of a milkshake into the orifice.

It was cold, and pouring with rain that day, so we didn't smell anything. I hate to think what it smelled like two days later when it was sunny and 30 degrees:ROFLMAO:

Did I tell the hire company?? Of course.............................................................. NOT!!

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Couple of years ago now.
Small private campsite somewhere Cambletown.
A beautifull sunny day, me and missus Zaskar walking down a sandy path from the campsite to the beach and we go through a tunnel of gorse in full bloom.
The smell, or should that be aroma, was absolutely wonderfull, just like the smell of coconut in a Bounty Bar.
Wonderful, never forget it.::bigsmile:

May 22, 2008
Funster No
A smell [nay delicious aroma ] I can't resist is CORNISH PASTIES cooking Iv'e eaten loads of them whilst Mtorhoming and intend to eat many more, one of the things I miss more than any other whilst in Europe, don't say take some frozen ones with you that's sacrillage :thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Now I thought yours would have a Vindaloo Curry:roflmto:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
My most memorable smell was many moons ago, I was working as a plant fitter for a Bonser forklift truck dealer and was given the job of traveling to a meat and glue processing factory and fitting a new clutch.

I had never been to this particular sight before and had a few trepidations. When I arrived at the factory I could smell it before I could see it, it was a hot summers day and as I stepped out of my van next to the forklift truck which had been left in the entrance of the forecourt me the full strength of the smell got me, I gagged, swallowed hard and went looking for some one to ask " was it possible to steam clean the truck before I started work.

I was told as a special concession they had already cleaned the truck in the expectation of my visit.

I found a phone and called my boss to ask " could the truck be transported some where else away from the smell", and was "told to get on with it"

Well I did as I was told, threw up a little when I removed the foot plate and seen the maggots crawling over the gear box and completed the job in record time.

After that I could not eat meat for well over a week and even now if the wife cooks any kind of meet stew I remember that day.

Doug...

Last edited:

alnshaz

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
south yorkshire
Funster No
Exp
:cry:

well there was the time when i ate a vindaloo after a night out and then proceeded to finish it off with a jar of pickled eggs for a bet................

the wife was not impressed...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
weird one here...

most memorable nice smell... the smell of Branden the rats fur, he smelled like butter keks, a german butter biscuit, it's so memorable as he was the rattie we got in brandenburg and only lived 4 months, so when ever we smell butter biscuits we think of him.

worst smell, has to be overheating brake linings, usually from following some twonk down a steep hill who dosent know what engine braking is,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back