Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
The latest story doing the rounds, here in Spain, is that the law is taking a dim view of drivers wearing incorrect footwear.

It would seem that driving in shoes without adequate heel support is an offence, and punishable by a 150 euro, on the spot fine.

The story goes, that the Trafico are targeting women drivers and fining them if they are wearing Flip Flops or String Backs and the like.

Could be, that the Guardia Civil have gone over budget again and are looking to meet their shortfall, by hitting easy targets, or that they do consider, that driving in footwear that can slide off the foot, is dangerous.

Either way, it might be a good idea to have a pair of light weight canvas shoes with heel support, that can't slip off your feet, as spare driving shoes.

Of course as responsible drivers we Motorhomers never drive in our Flip Flops, :Blush: but I just thought I would bring it to your attention.

Pete:Cool:

Tinyk

Free Member
Mar 9, 2009
Funster No
Thanks for the warning Pete, wondering how I would stand then cause normally on long runs I tend to remove shoes and drive in just socks, much comfier and nothing to slip off my feet in the first place, umm maybe they will object to that toooooo.

Have to dig out the slippers then, have to be comfy when driving LOL

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
No sliding off with me, I'm always driving bare foot in Spain :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Of course as responsible drivers we Motorhomers never drive in our Flip Flops, :Blush: but I just thought I would bring it to your attention.

:Cool: No never, well not very often. I usually wear cheapo Croc copies. :ROFLMAO:

light%20bl.jpg

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Are they also insisting you carry a spare pair in case you break them ( re other post about glasses ) :Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
:I usually wear cheapo Croc copies. :ROFLMAO:

John.. You have just fallen 5 points in my estimation .. copies or not :Doh:

I wear flip flops most of the but never driving, liable to slip off and get trapped under a pedal, bare feet, trainers or sandals... and defo not crocs .. :roflmto:

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Interesting, I wonder if they have any statistics to back up the idea that driving in flipflops is dangerous?
In the summer I wiould say that 99% of the time I'm either driving with flipflops on or Crocs (the real ones ::bigsmile:)
Come to that I wear Crocs in autumn, winter and spring as well.

I find that the most difficult thing to drive in is my walking boots.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Thanks for the warning Pete, wondering how I would stand then cause normally on long runs I tend to remove shoes and drive in just socks, much comfier and nothing to slip off my feet in the first place, umm maybe they will object to that toooooo.

Have to dig out the slippers then, have to be comfy when driving LOL

Bare feet - that's the way to go. Nothing to slip off your foot, nothing to slip between your foot and the pedal. Only trouble is the pedal is a tad too high and makes my ankle ache over a long period.

John

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Interesting, I wonder if they have any statistics to back up the idea that driving in flipflops is dangerous?
In the summer I wiould say that 99% of the time I'm either driving with flipflops on or Crocs (the real ones ::bigsmile:)
Come to that I wear Crocs in autumn, winter and spring as well.

I find that the most difficult thing to drive in is my walking boots.

and since when have the spanish police needed any statistics to enforce the 'made up on the spot' spanish law:winky:::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
and since when have the spanish police needed any statistics to enforce the 'made up on the spot' spanish law:winky:::bigsmile:

I know it does seem that way at times, but there probably is a law in most countries regarding suitable footwear when driving.
The Spanish Police and in particular the Guardia Civil do appear to be a law unto themselves at times, but is that not one of the many things that makes Spain so different ? Keeps one on one's toes.:ROFLMAO:
I love the Country, the people and their eccentricities.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I know it does seem that way at times, but there probably is a law in most countries regarding suitable footwear when driving.
The Spanish Police and in particular the Guardia Civil do appear to be a law unto themselves at times, but is that not one of the many things that makes Spain so different ? Keeps one on one's toes.:ROFLMAO:
I love the Country, the people and their eccentricities.

:thumb:
i dont think this would be a specific law though (but it could be in spain!)....."not being in full and proper control of a motor vehicle" would cover it though.
just the same as driving with your arm hanging out of the window or eating/drinking while driving.

crazylazy

Free Member
Apr 24, 2009
South East
Funster No
MH
Low-Profile
Exp
4 weeks.. twice out in it
I seem to re-call years ago (although I could be wrong) it was an offence to drive in the u.k. with bare feet.....not to be too technical and boring surely in the event on an emergency stop pressure from wearing shoes is far greater than bare feet...........I understand the spanish police coming up with anything to boost their income I thought it was classed as TIPS! Years ago I was fined on the spot for speeding in Mallorca and the motorcycle policeman was really annoyed when I insisted on a receipt for my payment.....needless to say drove a bit slower after that.

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
I seem to re-call years ago (although I could be wrong) it was an offence to drive in the u.k. with bare feet.....

There's no law against it. I've had two customers pass their L tests driving in bare feet, I'm sure if it was illegal they wouldn't have passed them.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
few years back had a renault 12:roflmto:
driving in a hospital car park about 5- 10 mph in sandals:Doh:
i went for the foot brake pedal
but caught it between big toe and sole
managed to collide with a mini full of ladies 8/half mnths pregnant:swear: