Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
Has anyone utilised the 'cat5' socket on the new iboost router to connect in a 'mycloud' storage system to enable viewing of contents away from the motorhome whilst hooked up to an Internet signal.

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
No, sorry, but I'm following this thread because I'm interested in connecting the iBoost router to the *kybox via an RJ45 cable.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Well, I use the cat5 port to connect to my storage drive cat5 port ( 4tb of movies,TV etc etc ). I have sometimes allowed access to my iBoost so the MH next to me can watch movies or TV shows. Works fast enough for 3 or 4 connections streaming shows. I also use the post for direct connection to laptop as it's faster than wifi.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Has anyone utilised the 'cat5' socket on the new iboost router to connect in a 'mycloud' storage system to enable viewing of contents away from the motorhome whilst hooked up to an Internet signal.

I'm not sure what you mean but interested..
My micro router has 4 connections..
The power feed ,a plug for the antenna , and an outlet for hard wiring advice to it and a micro usb which it says is for future use whatever that might mean..
Is the cat 5 socket you refer to the one marked ETH1..
Andy.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Can't see why it wouldn't work, I haven't tried it though. I have got a WD NAS drive connected to our router in the van, but we only use the local WiFi to access it. Just be aware that it will use quite a lot of bandwidth because you have up and downstream traffic.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Will someone PLEASE explain what a Cat 5 port is !!!
Is this post in code ?? Is it a secret organisation ??
Am I still Pi**ed ??
Is it time for a red wine yet ???
Help !!
Mitch.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I use both the ethernet ports on my iBoost. They are bog standard so no reason why it shouldn't work. Providing the end points support each other the iBoost shouldn't make any difference.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
He means by cat 5 and ethernet port rj45.

It's for plugging a network cable into.... be it cat 5 ..cat 6 ..
Or to put it very simply, it is network cable, it is the wire one would use to connect your computer to the router if you aren't using WiFi :D

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I'm a bit confused. :confused: :unsure:

By 'mycloud', I assume you mean a locally attached 'Network Attached Storage' (NAS) device pre-loaded with films & the like.

When you say 'away from the motorhome', how far away & what are you using? The main function of an iboost is to broadcast a local wifi signal carrying data received by it over the internet or data from another device (including a locally connected NAS box) connected to the iboost.

Are you wanting to connect from your device, over the internet, to the iboost (i.e. not directly to the iboost hotspot) to access data held on the NAS? Are you wanting to be further away than the iboost local wifi signal?

If so, it should be possible, at a theoretical level. You would need to subscribe to a Dynamic DNS service so that you could find the router when it's IP address changed, as it would every time you re-connected to the internet. Depending on the services built into your 'mycloud' device, you might also need to setup port forwarding on the iboost. I think you might struggle to get good enough speeds to watch streaming video though. You would be limited by the available upload speed of the wifi link your iboost was connected to.

The only real way to be sure is to send an email to @Addie at sales@motorhomewifi.com, describing what you want to do & explaining exactly what equipment you want to connect.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Can any of you knowledgeable folk tell me how I can get Tyne Tees or Granada. They disappeared off my Radio Rentals telly yonks ago.
( PS, the RR shop where I went to pay every week closed and so far nobody's come to take the telly away - Shhh!)

OP
OP
Brightspark

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
Thank you for the reply 'The Caller' - as far as i am aware, please feel free to correct me, mycloud is a personal storage system with no subscription permanently connected to a router allowing the owner to gain access to data away from the home. A friend of mine has a 'my cloud' connected to his home router and accesses his photos/music from anywhere there is a wifi signal.

What I'm asking is has anyone set this up utilising the RJ45/cat socket on the iboost. If the iboost is on and receiving a signal from an outside source ie; a campsite transmitter can I retrieve data from anywhere. I have spoken with Adam @motorhome wifi and he states that in theory it should work. Has anyone achieved this?

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Ok - you did mean what I thought you meant then. :)

Adam has confirmed what I thought - the fact that the router is an iboost makes no difference - whether it will or won't work will depend on the upload throughput you can get from the iboost to the campsite router & from the campsite router through whatever internet connection they have.

I'm using 'campsite' as a generic term for whatever wifi connection you happen to be using, be it FON, Tesco's car park or whatever.

I have just put in a similar setup to your friend at home - yet to try it out from away. My upload speed should be ok for photos, probably fine for music, but unlikely to be fast enough to stream video. I would have to download the video locally, then watch it. But that wasn't what I got it for.

I think you would have to do the same thing - wait for whatever you wanted to view to download to your device, then view it or listen to it.

I don't know of anyone that has actually tried it though. I know it means duplication, but it would be easier to connect to a 'mycloud' at home than to one in the motorhome once you are out of range to the iboost's own wifi signal.

OP
OP
Brightspark

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
It sounds as though it will work. As you I don't want to watch films away from the unit, I would download these at source and watch later. I/we are campsite wardens & wish to store all data in one place & when we visit elderly parents on days off we can show pictures from the past. Plus listen to our music anywhere we maybe. Thanks for your help, The Caller.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I don't know of anyone that has actually tried it though. I know it means duplication, but it would be easier to connect to a 'mycloud' at home than to one in the motorhome once you are out of range to the iboost's own wifi signal.
I have to say, my initial thought was that a simpler solution would be to have the MyCloud at a static location and access that from the MH or indeed wherever you happen to be! I believe the MyCloud service runs it's own DDNS, so you wouldn't have to have a 3rd party provider.
This is very close to the setup I use, I have a server bank at a static location that I can access remotely from anywhere in the world. The NAS in the van has data that I will need access to immediately, along with quite a lot of films that involve Barbie, but that's just to keep my daughter quiet! :D

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
I/we are campsite wardens & wish to store all data in one place & when we visit elderly parents on days off we can show pictures from the past. Plus listen to our music anywhere we maybe.
Ah - that explains it better - during the season the m/h is home. Now I understand why you want to access a server in the m/h rather than one at home.

When you said 'mycloud', I thought you were using it as a generic term for network attached storage, but I now realise you are talking about the Western Digital trade name My Cloud, which is the brand name for their consumer NAS boxes.

I believe the MyCloud service runs it's own DDNS, so you wouldn't have to have a 3rd party provider.
Indeed. WD route connections via MyCloud.com, which will do the same job.

That system should work fine in conjunction with the iboost, although we keep coming back to the question of the campsite upload speed. As resident wardens, not only will you be close to the signal mast, but you will know how the campsite router is connected to the internet, so you should have a reasonable estimate as to the system's capabilities.

If FUN ever have a rally on your site, don't expect to stream music on the evening when all the funsters upload their photos! :)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Interesting thought. IF I connect my portable hard drive to the USB port on my router. In theory I should be able to access that data from my "Device". in the same way as I see my Web security cam`s, via my ddns service?.

Pete

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Not necessarily. A NAS box has it's own operating system & so has its own 'intelligence' when you connect to it via the router. Some routers also contain similar software, so you can connect to a hard drive to it & read it both from a local computer & from one connected from outside the local network.

So you need to look in your router's manual to see what you can do with its USB port.

You are correct that your DDNS service will get you back to your router. It will be up to your router as to what happens next. It will need to do more than just route your connection to the USB port.

What is the make & model?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back