Spilt (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2014
Devizes, Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
For ten years
Have spilt wet stuff into wife's laptop - can anyone help as to how it can be dried out? It was liquid from a dehumidifier, not just water so don't know if anything can be done. Help please!

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Have spilt wet stuff into wife's laptop - can anyone help as to how it can be dried out? It was liquid from a dehumidifier, not just water so don't know if anything can be done. Help please!
you is gonna die son,start:pray::pray:

Deleted User
I'm sure you'll get some advice soon, but initially disconnect the battery and under no circumstances try to switch it on.

Somewhere warm and dry (airing cupboard) for a few days may well cure your problem, people have suggested a few days in a bag with dried rice (i would try this after a few days in the airing cupboard.

Providing you haven't tried to start it up, there is a chance that the electrics aren't fried.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hope you havent turned it on. :eek:

Open the lid and slip it, over a towel, over a radiator for a couple of days.
You'll only know if its totally dry when you turn it on.

You can open it up (take the back off) and get a hairdrier in for an hour of two and cross your fingers when you turn it on

OP
OP
Tricky Dicky
Nov 3, 2014
Devizes, Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
For ten years
Unfortunately, wife turned it on before we realised what had happened! Thanks for all the comments, am trying the things suggested but fear it may end in the purchase of a new laptop. Any recommendations for that?

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Oops may aswell bite the bullet and join the throngs at sales and get a new one! Hope all useful stuff was backed up:(

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Oops may aswell bite the bullet and join the throngs at sales and get a new one! Hope all useful stuff was backed up:(
As long as the liquid didn't get on the hard drive board you can take the hard drive out and get the data off it.

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Get a plastc bag, half fill with rice, and seal the laptop in. Leave it in the bag for at least 3 days, this should get all moisture out of the machine.

I'm not say it will be ok but this is a tried and tested way of removing moisture from electronic devices.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
RIP laptop....I speak from experience and a very expensive glass of prosecco on a MacBook Air keyboard!!!!

You must have been unlucky. There's been all sorts spilt over my MacBooks over the years with no obvious ill effects.

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
Isn't the 'liquid' from a dehumidifier just water? What else can it be?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It's not the moisture that does the damage it's all the contaminants in it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back