Jump Starter + a bit more, anyone tried one?? (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Thought this might be of interest, can jump start up to a 3.5 Ltr diesel engine or a 5 Ltr petrol, plus it will charge laptops, mobiles, tablets etc.

There are some cheaper versions too.
Amazon product ASIN B014QXOIZY

Would be interested in the thoughts of anyone who has one, good or bad.

Thanks

Steve

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think if your engine started easily then it could get you going. The battery is 18Ah in capacity which simplistically means it could produce 600 amps for 1.8 minutes. In reality things are not so simple but it should still crank for a minute or so, which should be enough.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I think if your engine started easily then it could get you going. The battery is 18Ah in capacity which simplistically means it could produce 600 amps for 1.8 minutes. In reality things are not so simple but it should still crank for a minute or so, which should be enough.
It certainly should! If a modern engine needs more than 5 seconds in the depths of Winter it needs looking at. (For information: the Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) rating of a starter battery is the current at which the battery voltage must remain above 8.4v for 60s. There is no simple relationship between CCA and Ah.)

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Having worked in a m/h dealership the jump start pack was used frequently. I can't remember the make but I know it wasn't cheap but even that struggled at times. Some vans could be a right pig to get started after their batteries were flat after being on the forecourt a few weeks. Fords seemed to be better than Fiats and Pugs at starting, maybe the immobilisersame drain more juice.

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
Couple of observations:

600A would melt those cables.

The battery capacity is 18000mAH, not 18AH, there's a big difference in how the ratings work for battery types. I'd not give much for the life of the pack.

A standard alkaline D cell is 15000mAH capacity, a Nicad industrial version is 4AH, a consumer D cell Nicad is 2AH.

Peter

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I use one very similar. I bought it originally as a spare power pack for charging phones, torches, cameras and intercoms whilst on the bikes, but it has been used for jump starting a BMW twin, which it did several times without a problem. It's supposed to be able to start up to a 3 litre diesel engine and we do carry it in the MH as a back up, but hope we never have to rely on it.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Couple of observations:

600A would melt those cables.

The battery capacity is 18000mAH, not 18AH, there's a big difference in how the ratings work for battery types. I'd not give much for the life of the pack.

A standard alkaline D cell is 15000mAH capacity, a Nicad industrial version is 4AH, a consumer D cell Nicad is 2AH.

Peter
18,000mAh is exactly 18Ah but the rating is of course of little use in predicting how long it would last cranking a starter motor. I've read Energizer rate their batteries at a discharge of just 25mA. Hence my use of the term "simplistically". :)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Non of these battery pack boosters work by directly supplying the starter motor. What they do is provide a high enough voltage to begin to re-charge the starter battery at a high current. An 18Ah LiPO battery will be capable of supplying 10A continuously and at least 3x that for a very short period. That, and the brief but rapid boost of the starter battery, will provide enough to start the vehicle.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I watched a English guy start a RV ( A Class Petrol ) with a

LEPOWER® Wrench J1 Ultra-safe Car Jump Starter/ Portable Power Bank

LEPOWER_Wrench_J1_Ultra_safe_Car_Jump_Starter_Portable_Power_0_res.jpg

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
In my experience a battery that is just below starting capability and an engine in good form that will fire first attempt one of these battery packs should get you out of the poo. If the battery is flat ie below 10 volts then forget it you will need a good high power battery booster pack capable of delivering 600 amps continuously. We carry such a item and that can be used as either back up - a charging pack for computers and phones or a source of power for TVs etc.. Horses for courses - do you want to spend £50 or £250

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
OK, so not meant for a big 'ol diesel lump, but Jaws Motorcycles has been flogging these puppies for a couple of years now..
They work well for bikes..

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back