Oh No! It's raining in Moffat again! (1 Viewer)

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
As promised Frank, or whoevers turn it is, paid us a visit last night.
Managed to get some sleep after convincing the Mrs that the funny looking things without engines that are also on the site were going to move before our 4.5T beasty would. Woke up to a very damp camp site.
Went for a walk in the storm and got to the Annan, by the road in to Moffat, just in time to see it burst its banks. Amazing to see how quickly it flooded the car park next to it and the play park opposite.
To sum up, at the moment all three roads out are blocked either by water or a landslide.
If things do get worse we can't even bloody go home, even if we could get out, as we live in Oban. Landslide (again) at the Rest and Be Thankful, Crianlarich flooded and so is Callander.
Nothing else for it.......Moffat Pub Crawl.
The side road in the first picture is where the Spitfire in the garden is located along with a stunning collection of classic cars, don't know if its flooded or not. Water too deep to take a look. moffat water x 2 002.JPG moffat 3 002.JPG
We went down to see if we could help in any way, but the buildings had sand bags already and they said they had done all that could be done.
And it's started to rain again !!!!!

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Wonder if Ralph and Bev reading this they were going Moffat for Hogmanay.
Love the Moffat site try and go a couple of times a year.
Thanks for the other info was thinking of going to cabin at Loch Awe and usually go Callendar and Crianlarich.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
obanvanman

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
I've just visited Traffic Scotland and it doesn't mention it. It's the Crianlarich Lochearnhead road that is closed.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I must be physic @big bertha !
Yes we are on the same site. Been here since tea time 28/12/
We've been for a good look around Moffat , this morning. To see if we needed to move fast!
Had some lunch out and are now back in the van. Seemingly it's never flooded like that in the last 80 odd years. Or so an old bloke was telling us. The river is right up and into the park. It even knocked the parks dry stone wall down , opposite that road leading to the bungalows with the spitfire in the garden.
But the roads must be back open now , as we've seen 2 caravans and a Motorhome come in and pitch up. Near where we are sited.
It's very windy but it's not raining now.
(We're on no57.) Btw ! The big puddle that was making its way towards Pug is slowly receding .
We're going to give it an hour , whether it starts to rain again or not, we're going to get wet on the inside. :drink: Before deciding where to eat for tea. So we may see you on the pub crawl!

The wind/rain are forecast to die down around 5pm. Then start up again around 2am.
At least it's been a good test for all the window and door seals on Pug.:clap2:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Update.
The council knocked the wall down , to free the water on the road. Not the rivers force. It's never flooded as bad as this in living memory. Fortunately , it's all off the roads and back into the river now.
We've been out for a bit of a pub crawl. We ended up eating in the pub at the top of Moffat, called the Stag. I've had some mussels with pancetta ,cream and Gruyere cheese , fries and crusty bread. It was yummy . Better than any I've had in Brugge !
Ralph had a chicken stuffed with haggis wrapped in bacon with a creamy sauce , mange tout, broccoli and carrots. Thoroughly recommend the food. If you've not been before @obanvanman . Not expensive either.
It's really mild now, no wind, no rain and very still and quiet.
It's supposed to come back in , thick n fast at 3am....... Baton down the hatches !
Everything is still open as normal . There's a few free pitches on the site now as well.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Just text my half brother in Peebles no answer but that's not unusual but as he works just outside Moffat maybe he's stuck there.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Just text my half brother in Peebles no answer but that's not unusual but as he works just outside Moffat maybe he's stuck there.

Looks grim, and much worse than here. I hope you don't risk the cabin quite yet bb.:)

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Looks grim, and much worse than here. I hope you don't risk the cabin quite yet bb.:)

Thanks Bertie for the concern we are going to wait until 2nd week in January now as BT will need access for broadband if they have been able to get on with the outside work.:xThumb:
Was tempted to take up one of the free places in Moffat but OH not keen.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
We were in Peebles, in Pug yesterday , had a nice day out . It was grey and spitty.
We went to grey mears waterfall first , for a nice walk/climb then went on Selkirk before Peebles.
It wasn't like that. Blooming heck. Scary.
On the way home there were signs on the roads saying flood. But no floods. So maybe they were ready for them.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Thanks Bertie for the concern we are going to wait until 2nd week in January now as BT will need access for broadband if they have been able to get on with the outside work.:xThumb:
Was tempted to take up one of the free places in Moffat but OH not keen.

The long range forecast is improving in the next ten days......but they don't seem to get it right do they? Forgot to say I hope the dentistry is ok too....and apols ot the OP for swerving his thread:sick:

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Usedto to use the star hotel in moffatt for 30 years same people still there,was at Moffat ccc in oct nice site brought bach good memories

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Looks peaceful as all the boats locked up for the night but chaos earlier as travellers had taken over a field across from park and the youngsters were causing problems for the boating pond workers. :xsad:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Usedto to use the star hotel in moffatt for 30 years same people still there,was at Moffat ccc in oct nice site brought bach good memories
For some unknown reason, the only picture I can upload is this one !? I think the connection must be really slow. This is last year!
We've taken loads this year but they won't cross over for some reason. The star. The narrowest detached hotel in the world.

image.jpeg

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Dumfries is badly flooded at the moment but it certainly isn't the worse we have seen, we have stayed here since 1982 and the water was 5 ft 3 inside my dads pub on the whitesands which is now the landrover 252 spares shop if you see it on to. The water looks as if it's about 2 or 3 feet high just now but worse to come around 3 am.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Dumfries is badly flooded at the moment but it certainly isn't the worse we have seen, we have stayed here since 1982 and the water was 5 ft 3 inside my dads pub on the whitesands which is now the landrover 252 spares shop if you see it on to. The water looks as if it's about 2 or 3 feet high just now but worse to come around 3 am.

Hope you all stay safe(y)

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
Yes I hope all staying in their vans stay safe.

Just wondered have you noticed anyone staying in the garden centre car park next to CCC site ? We love Moffet but don't want to join the CCC again as we are with CC and dropped CCC as we weren't using many if any U.k sites of late.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Yes I hope all staying in their vans stay safe.

Just wondered have you noticed anyone staying in the garden centre car park next to CCC site ? We love Moffet but don't want to join the CCC again as we are with CC and dropped CCC as we weren't using many if any U.k sites of late.

They now have their own CL or CS site next to their car park.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
What is it like now? Hope everyone is safe.

We were down in Kelso earlier and the river was high but not as bad as we have seen it - however it takes time for the flow to get down to here. Just hoping there will be no more rain for a while.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back