Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
As a total Dumbo about traveling in Europe can I please ask for some feedback as,to whether this card is the best or just use my normal visa debit card ? Also I understand that Caxton fx offer the French road toll Libor free ,is it a perpetual unit allowing continued use or has it a limited life. ?? Thanks in advance. Roy

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
As a total Dumbo about traveling in Europe can I please ask for some feedback as,to whether this card is the best or just use my normal visa debit card ? Also I understand that Caxton fx offer the French road toll Libor free ,is it a perpetual unit allowing continued use or has it a limited life. ?? Thanks in advance. Roy
We were also Caxton virgins but I've just loaded mine up with a thousand euros as the rate is good, I didn't bother with the toll tag as there are terms and conditions I didn't like but each to their own.
As will become apparent with the answers you will get on this thread there are quite a few other options.:xsmile:

OP
OP
Khizzie

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Thanks for that,good to know,as I haven't heard any really bad I will get on and arrange mine now ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Caxton ideal for withdrawing cash from ATM - no charges. Caxton good for standard purchases, shops, restaurants - no charges.
Only issue with a Caxton is use in un-manned fuel stops. For this I have a Halifax credit card - no charges and exchange is the rate of the day, with no rip off.

Just keep an eye on your balance with the Caxton, although you can do auto top-up.

Cheers,

Keith :cool:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We have been using Caxton cards for 3-4 years now with no problems.
Top up when the rate is good, draw out cash when we need it, no charge for using ATM's.
Brisey & Pamelaaaar.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Caxton ideal for withdrawing cash from ATM - no charges. Caxton good for standard purchases, shops, restaurants - no charges.
Only issue with a Caxton is use in un-manned fuel stops. For this I have a Halifax credit card - no charges and exchange is the rate of the day, with no rip off.

As above here, debit card charges me £1.75 per use and currency exchange charge so stays in wallet.
Credit card on DD for full amount so pays balance due as we are away for 2 months.
One drawback is Caxton have now stopped balance check and top-up by SMS texts.
Now do online or their new app

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Everything is so much easier with the REVOLUT card and APP with multiple currencies and the spot interbank rate ensuring it is always a better rate than regular cards like Caxton

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
Everything is so much easier with the REVOLUT card and APP with multiple currencies and the spot interbank rate ensuring it is always a better rate than regular cards like Caxton
The only thing I'm not keen on is that it is only charge free for a year and altho one might benefit slightly better exchange rates for a year, one might be disadvantaged in a years time to revert to Caxton, Travelex as having not used them might have to apply for new card/account. Their future charges are unknown and we know no charges for Caxton/Travelex.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It is unlikely to change after a year. It has already been in business over a year.
That statement is just so they have the right to change it.

Within the app I can sell my 1,800 euros back for Sterling AND make a profit as I bought at 1:43 last month. This would take seconds to do and much faster than advance notice of introduction of any charges. AND if I choose transfer the Sterling back to my bank

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
Thanks for clear explanation - I will look into loading app. Will be useful to me to be carrying one card for euros and dollars and not 2 Travelex cards that I have at moment.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Thanks for clear explanation - I will look into loading app. Will be useful to me to be carrying one card for euros and dollars and not 2 Travelex cards that I have at moment.
At the moment you can carry Sterling Euros & Dollars and make cash withdrawals in UK. Caxton is way behind the times now.

Reactions: JJ

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
I suppose the only potential downside of currency cards is the lack of protection should they go bust. Possibly a small risk to gain an extra 2.5% or so on the rate?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I suppose the only potential downside of currency cards is the lack of protection should they go bust. Possibly a small risk to gain an extra 2.5% or so on the rate?
image.png

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We got the Caxton card due to the good advice of funsters on a previous thread. I don't know if it went over my head at the time but didn't realise each time you get fuel it takes the money from your account plus a kind of safety net fee which we still to get our head around around 70-80 euros a time I think it was. Think it takes up to 3 weeks before this money goes back into your account. We stopped using it for fuel after we realised our accounts were empty although the transactions were "Pending" so we had in effect no money left to spend. More frequent users can explain better.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
We got the Caxton card due to the good advice of funsters on a previous thread. I don't know if it went over my head at the time but didn't realise each time you get fuel it takes the money from your account plus a kind of safety net fee which we still to get our head around around 70-80 euros a time I think it was. Think it takes up to 3 weeks before this money goes back into your account. We stopped using it for fuel after we realised our accounts were empty although the transactions were "Pending" so we had in effect no money left to spend. More frequent users can explain better.
Caxton website does say not to use it for fuel.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Actually it no longer says that? but it did when it was Visa.
All they say now is not to use at automated fuel stations as it won't work.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Use mine to withdraw cash and pay for small purchases. Pay for fuel and bigger shop bills with credit card.
Just taken from Caxton site below:

I’ve loaded my Caxton FX card with Euros. Can I load another currency onto my card?
Yes you can. You can have any of the currencies listed above on your card at any one time. Simply choose the currency you want to load from the drop down within your account.

Can I load Sterling onto my card and use it on my travels?
Yes you can. You can load your card with Sterling and we will convert into the local currency at the time of the transaction.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I never realised that but it's not as slick as seeing all your currencies in your wallet at a glance nor as good a rate
image.png

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We've used Caxton for four years plus a Saga credit card that has no charges if you pay it off each month. Works fine for us. We always used the Saga card for fuel. We topped up regularly online when we were away and the cash was available within a few minutes.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Btw I also log in with just my fingerprint unlike Caxton where I have to type my email and password every time

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I, like most others here, use my Caxton predominantly in Europe where I've never been charged for making an ATM withdrawal but be aware that when drawing other currencies in non-European countries some banks charge for cash withdrawals - others don't.
Just saying.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As a total Dumbo about traveling in Europe can I please ask for some feedback as,to whether this card is the best or just use my normal visa debit card ?

We have had it refused occasionally. I think French tolls being one of them.

Never rely on a single CC.

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
You can load Caxton MasterCard with multiple currencies, including sterling and swap balances between each if your need for one of them ceases. I have never had a charge applied to an ATM withdrawal. Some Banks warn you during a transaction that they will impose their own charge and that is the point at which to cancel the operation and find another machine. A warning, though. Some ATM's now offer to work 'in your own currency' and apply an exchange rate. Since you're already loaded with the local currency, the answer should always be 'no' but it can be confusing at the 'point of sale'! We mostly use our Caxton for ATM cash and make purchases with our Nationwide Select CC which does not apply a transaction fee. I got fed up with Tesco Clubcard CC charging me something like 2.75% and applying a poor exchange rate every time. Also, our Nationwide Flexplus debit card allows fee free ATM withdrawals and seems to apply reasonable exchange rates. We don't use it for purchases though because there is a transaction fee. Preloading the Caxton scores when you are confident that a good rate is on offer and deterioration is imminent. How I wish I had a crystal ball pre Brexit! :):swear2:

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
We use Caxton with very mixed views . Last year in Spain a garage charged us twice for the same transaction . Caxton eventually responded 7 months later. I contacted them 27 times and it got to the point I thought they'd gone bankrupt. Nobody ever returned my calls . Totally disgusting customer service throughout . Just using up my money left on the card now .

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
We use FairFX , very similar to Caxton. Has worked well for us for years, good rates most of the time, and can also be used to do direct transfers at good rates for free too which is good for big bills. Here in Portugal some suppliers will let you use their computer to pay the bill, no card fee for both of you. FairFX never charge us anything, but here in Portugal the Multibanco system which is far better than our cash machines in many respects does charge for cash withdrawals, presumably to fund the many other services they provide like bill paying, direct debit management, mobile top up etc that they do.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Loaded £5000 on our Caxton last November, still working our way through it, never failed to work anywhere.

Loaded £1000 on Revolut around the same time, had €300 nicked by Banco Popular 1st time we used, and Revolut have been as much use as a chocolate teapot in trying to get it back.

Promises of being passed to this team or that team never materialised, I was told originally that they would request a refund for me and would ask for more info if and when they needed it, might take several weeks etc.

When I contacted them after quite a few weeks of hearing nothing I was told it was my responsibility to furnish any info to help with the claim on my first contact.

Gave up any hope of seeing that €300 a while back, still getting crap help from Revolut.

They won't see another penny of my money, once bitten twice shy.

Caxton for me any day

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've abandoned Caxton as the exchange rates aren't very good any more.

We just use Revolt now.

The one time I had an issue with Revolut, when an ATM had a wobbly, the in app support responded within a couple of minutes, identified the issue within the hour, told me what would happen and when the funds would be credited back. They were wrong, the credit happened a day before they said it would.

I can't fault their service at all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back