Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Tesla Motors Powerwall

You've invested in solar panels to harvest energy from the sun, but without daisy-chaining an array of car batteries, you've got no way to store it. With the Powerwall, Tesla used its expertise manufacturing lithium-ion batteries for electric vehicles to provide a sleek alternative. The 210-pound wall-mounted battery can store surplus energy from solar panels. But it can also automatically bank electricity from the grid during off-peak times, when rates are lowest. That way you can power your home—or charge your Model S—for pennies even when electricity is in highest demand. The company makes a 7 kWh battery for daily use, and a 10 kWh version that can double as a backup generator. From $3,000

thumb_powerwall.jpg

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
One of my colleagues has one fitted to his house in Oakland, California - brilliant bit of kit..

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Why did they not make the battery to BE the wall panel instead of hanging on the wall ??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Tesla Motors Powerwall

You've invested in solar panels to harvest energy from the sun, but without daisy-chaining an array of car batteries, you've got no way to store it. With the Powerwall, Tesla used its expertise manufacturing lithium-ion batteries for electric vehicles to provide a sleek alternative. The 210-pound wall-mounted battery can store surplus energy from solar panels. But it can also automatically bank electricity from the grid during off-peak times, when rates are lowest. That way you can power your home—or charge your Model S—for pennies even when electricity is in highest demand. The company makes a 7 kWh battery for daily use, and a 10 kWh version that can double as a backup generator. From $3,000

thumb_powerwall.jpg
And the point of the post?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think its a better option for solar panels rather than making the rest of the Utility bill payers fund it through feed in tarif.

Or stick it in the garage of the motorhome, nearly 600ah for $3000 is a bargain.

Martin

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks "Stealaway".. VERY interesting.
I hope someone intelligent will come on and tell me how many watts of solar I would need to make that viable for our van.
We already have 2.2Kw solar on the roof of our cottage so would one of these harvest the surplus and give us it back on demand ?? And would our electric company allow a retrofit of this bit of kit ??
Just couple of simple questions ((for a wizzkid...)) Please. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back