Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Evening all
Watched top gear last night 26/12/15
(Don't ya just know this'll be resurrected)

Well it was a compilation of the jc type top gear
With May and Hammond

It had me a little confused not the presenters
Or the programme

Just the BBC well they sacked clarkson
For fighting , end off

Yet they have made a compilation
Of what the consider to be there best bits
Plus another prog or 2 to follow

It seems they are treating them as
On the naughty step
Hopping buy a programme of off amazon

Just can't get me head round it
Don't really mind
I enjoy watching the three of them

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The Beeb realised it was a very popular program and a fantastic money spinner and intend keeping what stock they already have so they can roll it out EVERY christmas for years to come and make as much money as they can.

I wonder if they have to pay royalties to the boys.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I think they are realising that Chris Evans may not be the global superstar that the trio are so are making as much as they can

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
great program, those guys really pushed the envelope, pit Jeremy lost his rag, apology and suspension should have sufficed.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
At a guess i reckon they wanted rid of JC and this was the perfect opportunity....unfortunate for them it backfire when the others didnt renew their contracts either.
sounds about right @pappajohn it would never have been the same with Chris Evans and he also was out in the cold for a while I seem to remember?

Deleted User
The old format was tired and repetitive, I can't wait for the new show.

The announced lineup has everything, a love/hate character in Evans, a decent motoring journo in Chris Harris and a brilliant driver (and I have to say top Totty) in Sabine Schmitz.

When you look back at the latter shows under the old crew they were pretty dull and predictable (the Peugeot driver article being a classic yawn fest)

The "Specials" we're decent viewing, but even these were starting to run out of ideas, inventing controversy to make up for the lack of content.

I'll probably watch both shows, but will be turning Clarkson off as soon as they "accidentally" roll a car down a hill whilst they have a heated discussion about some trivial nonsense.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
:cooler::blush:

The announced lineup has everything, a love/hate character in Evans, a decent motoring journo in Chris Harris and a brilliant driver (and I have to say top Totty) in Sabine Schmitz.

When you look back at the latter shows under the old crew they were pretty dull and predictable (the Peugeot driver article being a classic yawn fest)

The "Specials" we're decent viewing, but even these were starting to run out of ideas, inventing controversy to make up for the lack of content.

I'll probably watch both shows, but will be turning Clarkson off as soon as they "accidentally" roll a car down a hill whilst they have a heated discussion about some trivial nonsense.
How can one person be so totally wrong on so many levels?

:cooler:

Deleted User
:cooler::blush:
How can one person be so totally wrong on so many levels?

Please explain why you think that

Old show repetitive y/n?
Evans love/hate y/n?
Harris decent journo y/n?
Schmitz brilliant driver and top totty y/n?
Predictable old articles y/n?
Specials getting worse, early ones really good, Vietnam particularly good (cow on roof twice, car rolling down hill numerous times) y/n?

These three getting the push could just about be what the show needed - fresh blood, with obvious talent.

Clarkson and crew were good, but so were Status Quo (in their day)

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
All I will say, is that if they try to copy the original, they will fail!

If they end up with something like 5th Gear, they will fail!

Whatever else they do, it will have to be completely original!

Evans? I can take him or leave him!

Harris? As a journalist! Not fit to lick Clarkson's boots!

Schmitz? Driver? Yes! Totty? Not to my taste?

I fancy that it will never get anywhere near the popularity of aTop Gear with the terrible 3!

Last edited:
Reactions: f6c

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I'm in the I love JC camp. Just gutted he's gone and to ppv. I won't be subscribing I'm afraid.

Deleted User
All I will say, is that if they try to copy the original, they will fail!

If they end up with something like 5th Gear, they will fail!

Whatever else they do, it will have to be completely original!

Oh I agree, the original was well past it, as is 5th gear.

Schmitz? Driver? Yes! Totty? Not to my taste?

We'll have to agree to disagree here

LeadImage-Sabine_Schmitz.jpg

The terrible 3

Slightly disagree, they aren't terrible, just a bit "tired" :xgrin:

Fair play to them for convincing Amazon to invest such a large amount though, time will tell if their gamble pays off.

I'm going to give the new show time to develop into a decent show and am looking forward to see what they produce.

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
The BBC have made a big mistake. Evans only known in the UK, Harris only known by few and only in the UK and Schmitz (?) Only in Germany and a few in UK. They are going to lose millions. No wonder they are already ditching programmes and sporting events eg F1.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Oh I agree, the original was well past it, as is 5th gear.

We'll have to agree to disagree here

LeadImage-Sabine_Schmitz.jpg

Slightly disagree, they aren't terrible, just a bit "tired" :xgrin:

Fair play to them for convincing Amazon to invest such a large amount though, time will tell if their gamble pays off.

I'm going to give the new show time to develop into a decent show and am looking forward to see what they produce.
Words in my mouth!!

I neither said nor implied that the original was tired or past it!

I merely pointed out that if they try to copy it, without Clarkson, Hammond and May, they will fail.

Nope still not "totty"!

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Old show repetitive n?
Evans love/hate n?
Harris decent journo y? But not a great one.
Schmitz brilliant driver and top totty y but as with most Germans doesn't get British humour
Predictable old articles n?
Specials getting worse, early ones really good, Vietnam particularly good (cow on roof twice, car rolling down hill numerous times) n

These three getting the push could just about be what the show needed - fresh blood, with obvious talent. n

For such a poor show I'm sure you're suprised at the money it made.. the queue to get on it and the fact they were snapped up by Amazon.

Deleted User
For such a poor show I'm sure you're suprised at the money it made.. the queue to get on it and the fact they were snapped up by Amazon.

Not at all surprised at the money it made, but that is no indication of quality (Mr Blobby made millions) the early stuff was great, they just flogged a dead horse and ran out of ideas imo

There wasn't a queue to sign them (at the price Amazon paid) in fact other online providers publicly stated that they were of the opinion that the three ego's overpriced themselves.

As I said earlier time will tell whether Amazon have made a good commercial decision. Unlike the BBC, the producers will have some serious questions to answer if the show doesn't prove to be a commercial success.

I'll watch both, and hope Evans brings a fresh approach to the car show, and Clarkson drops the........

In the world.......
Rolling plastic pigs...
Cows on roofs.....
Captain slow getting lost.....
Cars rolling away.....
Crashing into the back of each other......
Oversize presents........
Hammond's poor mans Stan Laurel act....

I'm looking forward to 2 car shows and hope they're both a decent watch. :)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I think you're underestimating amazon's business sense and ability in their blossoming video/movie/prime market.
Never said there was a queue to sign them. Just that amazon did . and quickly as they seem to have noticed that the three of them and wilman offer something that huge amounts of people all over the world think is great.
Its a shame you don't think that top gear was a good popular show but you're going to be in a minority ..just on viewing figures and revenue.
And on that bombshell. .

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

I agree completely, I think they used virtually the same script for each show and just changed the odd word for each episode. The last of their specials I saw was the first part of their Argentinian one and it was so staged it was laughable - getting lost and pushing cow skulls about. I couldn't be bothered to watch the second part.

Of course it was hugely successful but a lot of people like predictability and found the programme as comfortable as an old pair of trousers.

It was a bit of history, blokish television - but time to move on now.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

Old show repetitive y/n?
Evans love/hate y/n?
Harris decent journo y/n?
Schmitz brilliant driver and top totty y/n?
Predictable old articles y/n?
Specials getting worse, early ones really good, Vietnam particularly good (cow on roof twice, car rolling down hill numerous times) y/n?

These three getting the push could just about be what the show needed - fresh blood, with obvious talent.

Clarkson and crew were good, but so were Status Quo (in their day)

I have to agree.. TG was past its sell by date. There are only so many times the same old dull jokes can be heard before we fall asleep.
It was not a motoring programme anymore but that was fine. It was always worth watching but why ? Was it because there was bugger all else on ? Perhaps it was just an easy thing to watch ?

Repetitive junk in the end....

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
I agree completely, I think they used virtually the same script for each show and just changed the odd word for each episode.

This format seems to work well for Alexander Armstrong on 'Pointless'.
Stef.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I guess I am one of the very few on this thread who thinks Mr Clarkson and his cronies were a bunch of egotistical big kids who enjoyed years of driving the best cars in the world, engaging in stupid pranks which told nobody anything worth learning about said cars and trousered megabucks in the process. Jeremy Clarkson is a bad advert for Yorkshire in my view and I am hoping for much better from the new show. And for my New Years Resolution I promise to be more forthright in expressing my opinions in future and not hide my light under a bushell......or maybe a Bushmills.:)

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
There seems to be a few on here, who really should have been watching 5th Gear!

If you like a motoring show that is the one for you!

Top Gear used to be like that and had the same viewing figures, it was just about dead in the water!

Clarkson and the gang took over and turned it into the BBC's most saleable programme!

Over 350 million viewers worldwide, making it the most watched TV programme in the World!

Let's all watch Evans kill it off once and for all!

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Evening all
Watched top gear last night 26/12/15
(Don't ya just know this'll be resurrected)

Well it was a compilation of the jc type top gear
With May and Hammond

It had me a little confused not the presenters
Or the programme

Just the BBC well they sacked clarkson
For fighting , end off

Yet they have made a compilation
Of what the consider to be there best bits
Plus another prog or 2 to follow

It seems they are treating them as
On the naughty step
Hopping buy a programme of off amazon

Just can't get me head round it
Don't really mind
I enjoy watching the three of them

Nope, try as I might, I can't make it rhyme? It's not even Haiku!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There seems to be a few on here, who really should have been watching 5th Gear!

If you like a motoring show that is the one for you!

Top Gear used to be like that and had the same viewing figures, it was just about dead in the water!

Clarkson and the gang took over and turned it into the BBC's most saleable programme!

Over 350 million viewers worldwide, making it the most watched TV programme in the World!

Let's all watch Evans kill it off once and for all!

It hasn't been a motoring show for years. Just an entertainment show which passed its sell by date.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
It hasn't been a motoring show for years. Just an entertainment show which passed its sell by date.
Apart from the bit about sell by date, I think that is what I posted.

Just to repeat, 5th Gear is a motoring show, Top Gear isn't (or rather wasn't) if you prefer motoring shows then Top Gear has not been for you, for years.
It's like everything else if you don't like it don't watch it! To keep watching and then complain because it's not to your liking is rather a futile way to spend your time.
I can't stand Mrs. Brown's Boys, so I don't watch it, it really is as simple as that.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back