Access for disabled in France (1 Viewer)

daps

Free Member
May 24, 2009
Cambridgeshire. UK
Funster No
Exp
A few Months
Thinking of doing a trip to France (Normandy) not sure about specifics yet, but its for the first time just to see how we get on over there. My Wife is disabled and we usually take her little electric shopping buggy in the M/H so she has her independence..
Does anybody no if they cater with drop down kerbs etc like they do over here. If not, would I be better taking the wheelchair instead.
Thanks

Last edited:

twooks

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
can't comment on access - but you do get reduction on peage autoroutes if you show them your badge. I also really like the signs they put on the disabled parking bays , roughly 'if you want my place you can have the disability that goes with it'
was talking to someone in the Netherlands a while ago - Delftsehout site I think, he said that Netherlands was far and away the best place - most sympathetic to needs etc- which was why they kept going back

good luck and enjoy your trip

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi Daps!

When do you intend to travel to France? If i have a few days ahead (think it's 14th july on tuesday so everything is closed (on monday too) so difficult to find out) i'll ask to the biggest supermarkets and to the town hall/council. There are, for sure, drop down kerbs. Most big supermarkets as Leclerc or Carrefour have wide access for disabled. But i can make sure so you have proper answers to make proper decision. Would that be ok for you?

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

LittleKath00

Free Member
Sep 21, 2007
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
Since 2004
dropped curbs.

I too use a scooter and so far the places we have visited do not have dropped curbs every where. You do find them but not opposite each other, plus they are not as flat as ours, be prepared for lots of bumps. Dont expect them to be clear either. Cars are usually parked near them.
Alot of the pavements are very narrow and will not take a scooter or wheelchair.
I can only speak from our experiences. I have to say that we do not go to the big towns and cities, so most of the places that we visit are the little old historic places.
Dont let this put you off though. We have been going for a number of years and have had no problems. Just to say that depending where you go you may feel like the odd one out as local children are always fasinated by the scooter as they normally do not see them. Have fun in your travels and remember to hold your badge up at the tolls and state handicap,. This worked wonders for us this year as we were reduced to class one.

LittleKath00:thumb:

OP
OP
D

daps

Free Member
May 24, 2009
Cambridgeshire. UK
Funster No
Exp
A few Months
Hi Daps!

When do you intend to travel to France? If i have a few days ahead (think it's 14th july on tuesday so everything is closed (on monday too) so difficult to find out) i'll ask to the biggest supermarkets and to the town hall/council. There are, for sure, drop down kerbs. Most big supermarkets as Leclerc or Carrefour have wide access for disabled. But i can make sure so you have proper answers to make proper decision. Would that be ok for you?

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

Thanks Frankie... We were going to go the first two weeks in October. We found out last night that we have relations going April next year in their caravan and are happy for us to follow them being newcomers to driving on the opposite side. So that looks like the new date so I can do a bit more homework in the meantime. Many Thanks for the offer.
One of the snags I can see with having to carry the buggy in the M/H itself. On UK sites we have a dog tent in which we keep the buggy in outside when not in use. The M/H being small this would have been awkward to leave indoors at night. Was thinking to stay in one or two Aires, but the more I think about it the more it looks like the wheelchair is the choice.
Thanks also to LK and twooks. Both noted and stored for further use.
Regards

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back