A class conversions - chassis track/wheel arches - spacers (1 Viewer)

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
Hi,

Most A Class conversions have bodywork over-reaching the chassis track, resulting in heavy rolling going around corners and wheels 'lost' within wheel arches. I expect this has been considered by the converters (- indeed FIAT has increased the track of more recent MH conversions.)

There are now hub-centric spacers (see the TUV approved Sprinter spacers at http://www.wheelspacers.uk.com which could increase track by 4inches per axle) and enhance the handling and appearance of Sprinter based A Class conversions. These hub-centric spacers maintain the load on the hub rather than "thick washer spacers" which transfer it to the wheel studs.

I've emailed Mercedes about the feasibility of fitting such spacers and have expected responses which might include references to hub loads in excess of design parameters but have had no reply.

Has anyone else made better headway with chassis manufacturers on fitting hub centric spacers?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
These hub-centric spacers maintain the load on the hub rather than "thick washer spacers" which transfer it to the wheel studs.

That sounds nonsense to me.

If you move the wheel out by 4 inches instead of the tyre load going from contact patch in line to the bearings you are creating a considerable torque on the bearings which probably are not designed for this.

BRG...........................SPCBRG
LOD...........................LOD
...................................twist

( Got to use dots to get round forum editor )

And your tyre may hit the skirt.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I agree with Brian above.

Moving the load outwards by 2" per wheel can only place excessive loads on the bearings which are now off centre to the wheel rim.
May be ok on a far lighter car but not a 3500kg motorhome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
As the guys above have said its really not a good idea. The front/rear centre line of each wheel should coincide with the centreline of the wheel bearings, this way the inner and outer races of the bearing carry equal load. Spacing the wheels outboard of this moves the load centre and will cause more load to be carried by the outer race, almost certainly leading to premature bearing failure. Its also unlikely to have any real positive effect on handling as the biggest problem is body roll which is a product of cornering forces, roll centres and spring rates. The body rolls on the springs relative to the axle, a wider axle doesn't alter the body roll characteristics.

D.

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
Mercedes have various options available on their chassis, one in particular may be of interest.

Our build sheet for the 614D shows that it was fitted with 'Soft Suspension', heavy duty anti-roll bar etc.

It was sold for conversion to a bus, so whether it was intended for comfort of just that the bus probably wouldn't reach its design weight I don't know, but it certainly makes a difference to the way the vehicle handles.

It also had underseal from new.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We used to have a Sprinter based A Class Rapido and the body roll was horrendous. We fixed it by fitting air suspension (air bags) to the rear. Not too expensive. Lots of threads on here about it including an excellent DIY guide with photos. Was it @Techno100 who posted it?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
So that looks like a NO then, the narrow track on the Merc and IVECO lightweight 5t chassis is one thing that puts me off these options.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back