Changing the layout of a Hymer (1 Viewer)

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
We have a 1998/99 B644 LHD with a 4 seater dinette behind the drivers seat. Ideally we would prefer to remove the rearward facing seats behind the driver and have an L shaped lounge with a smaller table. This would mean moving the fresh water tank as well as the obvious modifications. I think the tank could be turned through 90 degrees and still use the same filling point and connections. Does anyone else have experience of doing this or having it done? It has to look professional as if it was meant to be like that and ideally be able to convert back to standard at some time in the future if required. I would prefer to convert to the layout we want but another option may be to keep it for another year or so and keep looking for a suitable upgrade.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I doubt you'll revert. I thought that but by the time I'd finished hacking away there was no going back.

Measure twice, cut once. It's not rocket science.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I would have a word with Peter Hambilton. I don't think he does modifications like this any more but he used to and may be able to give some advice.
Link Removed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
we have the 2001 B644 with the L shape lounge.. but the water tank is between the double floor.

I wouldn't try making it possible to revert back.. the L shape is popular .. done well it will look original

to make a proper job it would probably need re-upholstered, with a curved seat and back in the corner..

I've removed the big fixed table and put folding legs on it.. thread about that somewhere..

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
mustaphapint

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
That's exactly what we're after Jim. We don't have a double floor as yours is slightly newer than ours, other than that yours looks identical from what I can see apart from the lounge. Where is your TV though, is it still in the cupboard above the fridge? The only reason I was thinking of allowing it to revert back would be if we wanted to sell in the future. removing the dinette would make it a 2 sleeper (which is all we want) with possibly an occasional single in the new lounge as we have storage over the cab instead of the usual drop down bed.
we have the 2001 B644 with the L shape lounge.. but the water tank is between the double floor.
I wouldn't try making it possible to revert back.. the L shape is popular .. done well it will look original
to make a proper job it would probably need re-upholstered, with a curved seat and back in the corner..
I've removed the big fixed table and put folding legs on it.. thread about that somewhere..

Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
On hymers is fairly easy to alter the joinery side of things, we tried to get a veh with front & rear lounge but failed, so decided on a french bed layout at the rear which could be converted into a
dinnette or L shape seating.

I have started buy just lowering the bed height, remove of all the furniture boards & reducing by 100mm, this now makes the french bed much easier to get on & off, to use for seating.

we are going to try it like this first, because doing the dinette/l shape conversation will involve
having the van re upholstered.

We had looked a b575 from travelworld, which is the same layout as you have, & i was going to alter the dinette to an L shape on that one.

Karl

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Assuming it's like these, I doubt if it would be too difficult to do the change from a double dinette to an 'l' shaped lounge - so long as you have some DIY skills. It would also be possible to make it so you could still have a double lounge bed too and also 2 rear passenger seats.
9761575_720x0.jpg
hymer dinette.jpg

OP
OP
mustaphapint

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Assuming it's like these, I doubt if it would be too difficult to do the change from a double dinette to an 'l' shaped lounge - so long as you have some DIY skills. It would also be possible to make it so you could still have a double lounge bed too and also 2 rear passenger seats.
View attachment 87541 View attachment 87542
Ours is just like this Minxy. Thanks for posting I was just about to post a photo of ours but there is no need now.

N

Nobody

Deleted User
image.jpeg
We have a 1998/99 B644 LHD with a 4 seater dinette behind the drivers seat. Ideally we would prefer to remove the rearward facing seats behind the driver and have an L shaped lounge with a smaller table. This would mean moving the fresh water tank as well as the obvious modifications. I think the tank could be turned through 90 degrees and still use the same filling point and connections. Does anyone else have experience of doing this or having it done? It has to look professional as if it was meant to be like that and ideally be able to convert back to standard at some time in the future if required. I would prefer to convert to the layout we want but another option may be to keep it for another year or so and keep looking for a suitable upgrade.
we have a B644 2000 reg with the L shaped lounge we also had the U shape lounge at the back of van I've just I've taken the U shaped lounge out & replaced it with a double bed its give me a lot of garage space as well looking at what you want to do is not a very big job a joiner could sort that for you then just have the cushions made to fit here a pic of mine

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back