Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Hi all

I`m trying to get to the bottom of a problem my van has got regarding a "stress crack".It`s a brand new van which at this moment in time is at the dealers having some minor work done.Whilst there the guys discovered a stress crack which is apparently quite a common problem:RollEyes: The dealer repaired the said stress crack by drilling a hole either end of the crack (to stop creeping) and then filled it and made good all without my consent.
This is a brand new motorhome which cost many thousands and they are drilling it and filling it after only six weeks of ownership:whatthe:
Woud appreciate any comments.Thanks

steve

ps anyone got a phone number for Burstner?or dont they like to be contacted?:RollEyes:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Hi Steve
I found a contact form on the 'net but no phone number....

Link Removed

Could be worth a try though .

Best of luck!

Linda

OP
OP
TheAleMan
Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Steve
I found a contact form on the 'net but no phone number....

Link Removed

Could be worth a try though .

Best of luck!

Linda

Thanks Linda.I have already e-mailed them but I`ve got a funny feeling I wont get an answer by that method.I need to speak with someone to make them think on the spot if you know what I mean.:Smile:

steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Steve I have seen many a european with the same problem and very many that have been repaired, I asume it's a Euro van and its on the overhead cab section it is indeed very common,
If repaired corectly you will not know its been done, if it reapears then further work to reinforce the affected area will be reqd,possibly inside the vehicle followed by more external repairs, I have seen vans 5 and 6 years on after repair, with no signs of any problem, as it is such a well known problem why it's not been addressed in production is a mystery to me
Geo

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Thanks Linda.I have already e-mailed them but I`ve got a funny feeling I wont get an answer by that method.I need to speak with someone to make them think on the spot if you know what I mean.:Smile:

steve

Here perhaps??

Link Removed

You might have to brush up on your German though :roflmto:

OP
OP
TheAleMan
Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Steve I have seen many a european with the same problem and very many that have been repaired, I asume it's a Euro van and its on the overhead cab section it is indeed very common,
If repaired corectly you will not know its been done, if it reapears then further work to reinforce the affected area will be reqd,possibly inside the vehicle followed by more external repairs, I have seen vans 5 and 6 years on after repair, with no signs of any problem, as it is such a well known problem why it's not been addressed in production is a mystery to me
Geo

Hi Geo,Thats what I wanted to hear,That it is a common problem.:whatthe:
Why though does it seem to appear more on euro rigs?and yes,why dont these things get ironed out in production?
Just one other thing..Is there likely to be more cracking?or do you know of vans that have ended up with more cracks after the original.

Many thanks
Steve

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Steve
Sorry to hear about your problems mate. I am not sure that this problem is solely confined just to European C Class vans, however I personally have never seen it on an American C Class (but I am no expert).
I think the reason for the crack is that the overhead protrusion flexes and eventually the fiberglass cracks at the point of stress, this is inevitably due to the structure beneath the skin being to weak to support the weight of the luton and allowing ti to move about with road vibration and shocks. As to why it hasn't been addressed at production stage is simple to answer. Firstly the cost involved with strengthening the structure and secondly there would be a weight penalty. As everyone is producing vans to be extremely competitive on price and need to achieve the claims about MPG these factors (in my opinion) lead to the same techniques being used and the problem not being resolved.
Although this may be a common fault, possibly the failure rate falls within reasonable tolerances for production / warranty figures, and whilst this does not help the people who have this problem, when you consider the number of vans produced and compare that figure to the vans with this failure it may well not be cost efficient for the manufacturers to address the issue, but rather just pay the warranty costs for a small percentage of the production figure that fails.
This is probably not what you wanted to hear, I am sorry if that is the case, but I suspect it is close to the truth and as said previously, I don't think that it is an ongoing problem once repaired :Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Steve,
what normally happens is the first cracks get noticed by the owner and a cosmetic repair is carried out, and if done well that is often the end of it
If and when cracking re appears after initial repair the customer complains that the repair has failed and a more in depth solution is found, ie sometimes involving further strengthening or re laminating of the interior upper bed area, the problem is caused during the laying up of the fiberglass at production, and the amount of reinforcing added at this stage. bearing in mind that weight is always an important factor and cost also, materials used are always kept to a minimum, sometimes they crack others they don't,bear in mind the laying up process is manual not computer controlled and a bad hair day for the guy doing it, could result in a thinner coating, as stated I have seen Swift vans repaired well and last well into 5 years plus with no further problems, also vans that crack a week after repair
keep your eye on it during any warranty period,
It is good the Service Center/Dealer have reported it to you, rather that let water in and you discover it:thumb:
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Looks like were siging from the same hym sheet Keith, 2 mins apart:ROFLMAO:
Geo

OP
OP
TheAleMan
Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Steve
Sorry to hear about your problems mate. I am not sure that this problem is solely confined just to European C Class vans, however I personally have never seen it on an American C Class (but I am no expert).
I think the reason for the crack is that the overhead protrusion flexes and eventually the fiberglass cracks at the point of stress, this is inevitably due to the structure beneath the skin being to weak to support the weight of the luton and allowing ti to move about with road vibration and shocks. As to why it hasn't been addressed at production stage is simple to answer. Firstly the cost involved with strengthening the structure and secondly there would be a weight penalty. As everyone is producing vans to be extremely competitive on price and need to achieve the claims about MPG these factors (in my opinion) lead to the same techniques being used and the problem not being resolved.
Although this may be a common fault, possibly the failure rate falls within reasonable tolerances for production / warranty figures, and whilst this does not help the people who have this problem, when you consider the number of vans produced and compare that figure to the vans with this failure it may well not be cost efficient for the manufacturers to address the issue, but rather just pay the warranty costs for a small percentage of the production figure that fails.
This is probably not what you wanted to hear, I am sorry if that is the case, but I suspect it is close to the truth and as said previously, I don't think that it is an ongoing problem once repaired :Smile:

Ah tolerances,thats how they get round it.:RollEyes:

Thanks for the explanation though kands and Geo:thumb:

steve

E

Enodreven

Deleted User
Hi,

If this is happening after just 6 weeks, I would be asking for my money back, I'm sorry but if you start to let them repair it, then I think you run the risk of reducing your ability to reject the vehicle, I would certainly go and see a solicitor immediatly and take there advice .

Just for an example think about this before you just accept what is going on

Example
If you/I were trying to purchase a secondhand motorhome and found that it had had some repairs to the fibreglass due a "stress crack". would you buy it I certainly wouldn't touch it unless the price was substantially lower than one that hadn't had any problems, and i think that goes for the majority of people

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but some one's got to say it

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back