multimo sat dish & humax Hd reciver (1 Viewer)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
last weekend I saw a mulitomo sat dish Link Removed

mounted up on a pole fixed to a rear ladder,

anbody used thesse dishs?

and also the humax hd reciver?

Link Removed

are they easy to set up, ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
last weekend I saw a mulitomo sat dish Link Removed
mounted up on a pole fixed to a rear ladder,
anbody used thesse dishs?
and also the humax hd reciver?
Link Removed
are they easy to set up, ?

Are these two significantly better than the £69 portable sat system on sale in Aldi or Maplins ? That Multimo is over £100 more than a perfectly good normal dish+LNB.

Do you need HD in a van where the screen is small so not needing particularly high definition.

All manual systems are easy to set up once you get the knack.

ocsid

Free Member
Dec 20, 2008
Funster No
A big advantage of the Humax unit over the Maplins and Aldi portable systems is that as its Freesat it has an excellent 7 dat EPG [Electronic Program Guide].
The Comag unit in the portable if like the one I had only has a "now and next" and you laboriously need to page each channel rather than get a whole screen of various channel data.
I have both now and the Humax is very much better for us because we can see what is on and plan our viewing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
A Multimo was recommended to us over 2 years ago by someone who had used not only in the UK but also Europe.

We thought because it was only £150.00'ish, it probably wouldn't be much cop, so kept looking around for an alternative. Not wanting to pay £1,000 + we still hadn't decided which way to go. When we moved out of the house into our fifth wheel, we took our mobile satalite dish we used with our Sky system. This we used for a while with the sky receiver.

At Peterborough Show this year, we decided to get the Multimo and use it with our Sky receiver. Wish we'd got it two years ago now. We are very happy with and we get an excellent signal strength and quality. We sit the dish on the roof, the base is filled with sand, a tip we got from the guy who originally recommended it. Seems to work fine, in all the wind we have had. We've also marked the roof where the dish sits, so if the squirrells play with it, we can just put it back on it's spot

We also bought the system from Aldi this year and tried that as we want a system for the truck camper. Tried it on the fifth wheel, sitting on the roof. Very happy with that as well, so now we are sorted.

Not sure how long Sky will allow the use of the receiver, as we are still using our old card, we don't pay any Sky subscription, so just getting the free channels. Sky advertise that the cards are changing, so not sure for how long we can use the old card.

Nigel and Pamala

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not sure how long Sky will allow the use of the receiver
Nigel and Pamala

There is trickery here. We cancelled Sky when they lost MotoGP on Eurosport, we still got the free channels except Dave. I saw the advert for the white card and paid them £25 for it and we still don't get Dave even though it's on freeview and freesat. As far as I can see the white card does not get us one extra useful channel.

You/we own the Sky box, I doubt they can turn it off.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
. We are very happy with and we get an excellent signal strength and quality. We sit the dish on the roof, the base is filled with sand, a tip we got from the guy who originally recommended it. Nigel and Pamala

thats interestring, you just sit it on your roof? do you get any scuff marks when rotating it? does it move out of alinement at all?

I was thinking of clamping it to a post on the ladder, but it seems thats not needed?

regards

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
thats interestring, you just sit it on your roof? do you get any scuff marks when rotating it? does it move out of alinement at all?

I was thinking of clamping it to a post on the ladder, but it seems thats not needed?

regards

HI

why buy a £150 dish?

If you want to clamp on the ladder a cheap domestic dish works great .. :thumb:

Jim

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Are these two significantly better than the £69 portable sat system on sale in Aldi or Maplins ? That Multimo is over £100 more than a perfectly good normal dish+LNB.

Do you need HD in a van where the screen is small so not needing particularly high definition.

All manual systems are easy to set up once you get the knack.

I though the mulitmo would be easier to set up it looks like it should be as its one peice built straight ot of the box , and its supposed to at least be = a 55cm dish in porformance,

as for the humax that could double up in the house

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
It doesn't scratch the roof as it's got rubber feet, but you can also get a piece of kit from Roadpro that attaches to it and then suckers onto the roof/or side panel, you can also get a magnetic base.

Can you pick up signals in Europe with a household one?? We like it's size and we get a much better signal with this one than our household one - don't know why, not much into that side of things, just that we have tried both. We find it very easy to set up.

Nigel and Pamala

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Can you pick up signals in Europe with a household one?? We like it's size and we get a much better signal with this one than our household one - don't know why, not much into that side of things, just that we have tried both. We find it very easy to set up.

Nigel and Pamala

Hi Nigel

I've used a standard 55cm domestic dish all over Europe .. and in Morocco .. and it worked better than my current Maxview.
You won't get ASRA 2 North beam much further south than Barcelona with it .. for that you need at least a 1.5 - 2.0 mt dish, the ones you see the ex pats with in S Spain..
I've also seen others in souther France picking up ASTRA 2N with bog standard 45cm Sky mesh dishes..
The Multimo's big adavantage is that it's compact .. but as I said, if you clamp on a ladder as I used to do it's not worth the extra.. and it's less likely to get nicked.

Horses for courses

Jim

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I though the mulitmo would be easier to set up it looks like it should be as its one peice built straight ot of the box , and its supposed to at least be = a 55cm dish in porformance,

as for the humax that could double up in the house

There is some "sales speak" here, "equiv to a 55cm dish", but what 55cm dish and what LNB**. It seems to me what they have is a 40cm dish and a very good LNB which performs as well as an average 55cm dish and LNB. There is absolutely no substitute for size when it comes to grabbing radio waves, they didn't build Jodrell Bank for fun. You will surely be more than pleased in the UK.

The same conditions are in an old pair of non coated 50mm binoculars performing about the same as a modern coated optic 40mm pair.

Humax in the house - where it's meant to be due to it's size. Are you going to run it off an inverter in the MH ?

** You probably know but the LNB is the vital Low Noise Block receiver that you see sat in front of satellite dishes on an arm - you can various grades of these.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
There is some "sales speak" here, "equiv to a 55cm dish", but what 55cm dish and what LNB**. It seems to me what they have is a 40cm dish and a very good LNB which performs as well as an average 55cm dish and LNB. There is absolutely no substitute for size when it comes to grabbing radio waves, they didn't build Jodrell Bank for fun. You will surely be more than pleased in the UK.

I was thinking about France as well as uk

The same conditions are in an old pair of non coated 50mm binoculars performing about the same as a modern coated optic 40mm pair.

Humax in the house - where it's meant to be due to it's size. Are you going to run it off an inverter in the MH ?

err never thought of that, I'm sure they 12volts ones, do they , if not http://www.grundig.co.uk/productdetails.aspx?pid=GUFSAT01HD&language=en-GB this is a 12volt input , would just need a power regulator to stop accidents same as the tv

** You probably know but the LNB is the vital Low Noise Block receiver that you see sat in front of satellite dishes on an arm - you can various grades of these.

no, dont know anything about satalite, I swore I would not pay for sky, so have sort of missed out, Im now getting into it becase of freesatt

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
no, dont know anything about satalite, I swore I would not pay for sky, so have sort of missed out, Im now getting into it becase of freesatt

For about £60 you can buy a complete domestic set up from Maplin ... including dish, freeview box, 10mt coax and mounting brackets..

Mount as you suggested on your rear ladder, I used a standard aerial pole with two U clamps , this got the dish above the roof line.. For travelling simply slide it back down and clamp tight ..

Jim

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Hi there,

I have 2 Humax Freesat receivers which I normally use in the house, however when out travelling we take one and an HD TV with us along with our dish.

The way I have set it up is:-

A. Tune the Humax receiver in at home. Setting up is quite easy, especially if you already have a sky dish pre positioned. remember that you have to put in your Post Code for your home address. Once the Humax receiver has located a signal it tunes in and stores your channels.

B. Go travelling and take the pre tuned Humax receiver with you. Set up your dish to 28.2 degrees (just E of South) and at about 28 degrees above the horizon. When the Humax detects a signal it will lock on and you can use it.

We have used ours all over the Uk and on the continent, It picks up the channel from your BBC local station so you can stay up to date with the local news from home if you wish.

Sometimes, if the dish position is really 'spot on' you can get HD even in Europe.

Hope you find this information useful.

Try. www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk. They have pages and pages of advice.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi we dont have that system we have a old sky box and dish seems to work well, we do have the Humax hd box in the home and this is excellent and just works of the original sky dish which we had up before we dumped sky. Peter:thumb::thumb:

jenkothewanderer

Free Member
Dec 20, 2008
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Multimo Dish

Hi had a Multimo dish now for at least 5 years, it is very reliable and can get good reception all over UK. Works fine in most of Europe within the Astra footprint but you need a much larger dish in Spain, Portugal etc.
I use mine with a domestic Sky box with a free view card and find it easy to tune in using the Sky box signal test meter.
I prefer to use a tripod to mount the dish as it gives better stability, is easier to setup with the ability to manouvre around the van and miss any trees in line of site of the satelite.
Hope this helps.
Jenko

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back