Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Does anyone use this?
If so, are you glad you have it, or do you rarely/never check it when you're away?
And can you recommend any particular brand?
We're planning on being away in van a lot in 2016, and we don't have anyone who can pop in regularly.
Any advice welcome. Thanks.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Text to neighbour "There's a parcel at the back door can you save it for us".

So they can work.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have had ip cameras for a long time and rely on them. Currently using y-cam wireless cameras. Records sound and motion in areas you designate,day and night. Sends you an email instantly with a picture and allows free unlimited storage of clips for 7 days. We have used other cameras but these are great and cost effective with no need to mess around with port forwarding etc.
Here's a YouTube clip f typical footage (not ours)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we have it and occasionally look when away, have seen potential intruders while at home, warned off with a shout from window

when away, did us some good last year when I noticed after a week away I had forgotten to lock my car (door mirrors not folded in), got daughter to pop round

negative on same trip, noticed I had gone through huge amounts of data and couldn't see why, gradually turned off everything, last thing left on screen was the home cameras I had looked at the previous day and forgot to close, looks they take 2Gb an hour!!!! Be warned if not on wifi when away or unlimited data

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
we have a camera system that records and holds upto 2 weeks rolling and has the ability to txt you if there is any movement;
switched that off rather quickly ....a txt everytime a bleeding cat walked on the drive at 3am was a real pain.:xdoh:

also an intruder alarm which rings up to 3 numbers ( in turn until one responds to the recorded message ) .

so the cameras are on constant record with a rolling 2 week over write and the house alarm rings you if someone enters the house without deactivating the alarm within the time limit ( or tampers with it )

happy with the system as if anything happens you get a call, you can check in and view and you have a recording that can be interigated.

peace of mind:xThumb:

OP
OP
Candapack

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
One thing that occurred to me, if you had a cctv system that stopped working while you were away, are you just going to worry that some scrote has de-activated it?

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
One thing that occurred to me, if you had a cctv system that stopped working while you were away, are you just going to worry that some scrote has de-activated it?
I have run an ip camera system for about 5 years. The best thing is to run a mutiple ip camera system (so you can see if cameras are being deactivated) from a dedicated pc using a ip management software programme like camuniversal or blue iris. These programmes often offer more accurate triggering systems than in-camera ones and a multitude of recording and monitoring options. Also you can use a programme like team viewer to remotely log onto your pc from your laptop or phone and deal with any issues like a camera needing a remote re boot. I also use a pc based remote ip resolving system called no-ip which ensures the cameras are always visible from the internet if Virgin Media change my routers ip address.

I have been using a new Foscam outdoor camera system recently which have much better in camera facilities for a simple set up for remote monitoring without a PC but will still keep that pc system operating in case I need to do remote management.

The cameras I have recently bought are the Foscam FI9803P these dont work with camuniversal but do with blue iris.

Last edited:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I used to use an on depth ip system with port forwarding and monitoring software ... I decided to be honest that it was just too complicated for what we needed. With what we have all we have to worry about is the security of the power cables (we do not use poe anymore)
Cameras placed in good locations to avoid being tampered with and provide a good overview. I get an email if any camera goes offline.
We need mobile access to them.. and a TV channel too so we can see the drive.

You can pick up complete sets at costco and maplins etc.. most of the time when I've seen output from these systems they're not too good tbh. (I'm sure some are)
Just make sure that the image you're going to get is good.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We put a Swann system (from Maplins) in a couple of years ago. It's a four camera system which was on offer at the time. I occasionally look at it using an Android app on my phone when we are away but not often. We have good neighbours who keep an eye on things.

Jan 16, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008
I have considered a multi camera ip system but what happens if your telephone line is damaged, ie some scrote pulls down the oh wire from the telegraph pole to your house. System disabled!

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
You can't cater for every eventuality. But in that case I would receive an email that the cameras were offline.
Telephone lines pulled down isn't that common tbh.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
We put a Swann system (from Maplins) in a couple of years ago. It's a four camera system which was on offer at the time. I occasionally look at it using an Android app on my phone when we are away but not often. We have good neighbours who keep an eye on things.

Same as Graham. It all depends how much you want to pay for the quality of image from your camera, and the features you want from your management software. Technical knowledge for some is also an issue, Swann and similar guide you through the setup that most with little technical knowledge can follow.
I have specified and installed some very high spec systems, but balancing cost, prevention (they will go for next door before me), and getting a reasonable basic image, then I decided a high cost system for home was unnecessary. The Swann gives me internet access via an app.
Mine is less to protect home than to let me see the MH when we are away without it, it's much more important to get that reassurance.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Good quality image Grumps147.

Now if you saw the same image from some of the higher end cameras you would see instantly the difference. Mine look ok, and the would assist with a basic ID, but if it came to detailed analysis they would fail miserably which is what sdc77 is referring to. I know that, and accept that you get what you pay for in this field.
I would never recommend these systems for small business use, but you see many low end alarm installers doing just that.

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Now if you saw the same image from some of the higher end cameras you would see instantly the difference. Mine look ok, and the would assist with a basic ID, but if it came to detailed analysis they would fail miserably which is what sdc77 is referring to. I know that, and accept that you get what you pay for in this field.
I would never recommend these systems for small business use, but you see many low end alarm installers doing just that.
Agreed. They are what they are, just like most domestic/vehicle alarm systems, a deterrent to send the thief elsewhere.

Big Lad

Free Member
Mar 9, 2015
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 570E
Exp
I'm using a swann system from maplins. I have 2 ptz cameras from and rear of the house, and a small fixed vandle proof hidden camera over the back gate looking up the access alley way (has infa red).
I can control the cameras from my phone using the app, as well as check on them whenever i like.

I will say this though - virginmedia is the most reliable in my view, as the cable is underground, and the i.p address never changes.
If your using BT, then your more prone to wires being damaged / blown down, but more importantly, unless you have a business tariff / line, the i.p address changes frequently, so if your away and this happens, you cant access your cameras from your phone.

hope this helps.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
but more importantly, unless you have a business tariff / line, the i.p address changes frequently, so if your away and this happens, you cant access your cameras from your phone.
This is not an issue at all .. for eons virtual dns services have been around to cope with such things. In fact some camera manufacturers provide their own for free.

If losing your Internet is something that you thinks going to be an issue then most modern routers allow you to have an alternative connection such as an Internet dongle.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Whilst I do like technological solutions to most things, we live on a cul de sac in a nice area in Surrey. I challenge anyone to get onto the close without being spotted by at least one of our neighbours. Our second line of defence, one of our neighbours has the keys to our house, and it only costs us a New Years eve bash every year when we invite them over :D
There are also motion cameras hidden on the house as a backup :D

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I will say this though - virginmedia is the most reliable in my view, as the cable is underground, and the i.p address never changes.
If your using BT, the, the i.p address changes frequently, if you are away and this happens, you cant access your cameras from your phone.

hope this helps.
This is not correct, Yes you can keep contact with your cameras, you need to use a DNS set up running on a pc, which will redirect the new ip address to a DNS domain set up with no_ip or similar service, with modern ip cameras the camera itself can use a DNS redirect to such a service as no_ip within its own firmware or one provided by the camera manufacturer. As for broadband contact you can buy a data dongle from the phone provider of your choice and plug it into a service PC or your router if it has that option.

Last edited:

Big Lad

Free Member
Mar 9, 2015
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 570E
Exp
I was aware of the dns server alternatives, when i looked at them, i decided they were not for me though. my reservation when using a 3rd party dns service was the security of it. some you pay for and like you said, some come free with manufacturers.
i didnt like the idea of going down that route, so i kept it simple with my connection straight to the dvr via the router.

On a more positive note, my partners house uses the bt setup with the ip address changing a couple of times a week. The beauty of this turned out that the mrs learnt how to search out the new ip address on google and enter it into the app when i wasn't around - who'd have thought it!

keeps the setup secure as well - its frightening to think how many people set these systems up and leave the factory password settings in place...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back