Free Member
Oct 21, 2008
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
I currently have the old “blue” Sky viewing card which works in both my home-based Sky+ box and my motorhome digibox. I accept that I can’t access premium channels such as Sports & Movies when away from home.

Does anyone have an opinion/experience on the new “white” viewing card being issued by Sky and the probability of it still working in a motorhome digibox?

Whilst on the subject of Sky, I haven’t upgraded to Sky HD yet. If I did, would I retain the same viewing card with upgraded HD channels and, again, would this same card work in the motorhome?

Brian :Smile:

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
you can have all the channels you pay for when away.

just ring sky when ready to go & pair the card to the box in the van.

i can't remember if you have to have the box up & running when you do it.

haven't got new cards yet.

don't know about hd

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
you can have all the channels you pay for when away.

just ring sky when ready to go & pair the card to the box in the van.

i can't remember if you have to have the box up & running when you do it.

haven't got new cards yet.

don't know about hd

Mine does it automatically when I put into the Sky box in the motorhome, no need to phone Sky. :thumb:

Been all over Europe & never had problems. Ring Sky & they will tell you different but it works with out involving them. I have heard they tell you it's not allowed, but my experience is that most of them don't know their **** from their elbow. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
hi..but do you get your premium chanels?

I get all the channels I pay for, as long as I can receive a signal which is not always possible in Southern Europe, but that's another story.
I don't pay for movies or sports channels at all but I do have all the other programmes .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Frankia

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
All Sky cards will work in a different sky box up to a point. - You will get all FTA channels and any channels you pay for except the premium ones (Movies and Sport).

Changeing to HD will mean a new HD box at home but the card will work just as well in a non HD box but you will not get HD channels from a non HD box.

From what I have been able to find out the new white cards will not change any of the above (not had the new card yet so can't test it out).

If you pay for movies and or sport and put your card in a different box to the one it is registered to you will get a message on the screen telling you the card is not correct if you try to select a premium channel.

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We have now got the new white card and it will work fine in a none paired box, but as you say you wont get movies/sport

Richard...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Benwick Rambler

Benwick Rambler

Free Member
Oct 21, 2008
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Thanks for all your responses so far which seem to confirm my thoughts that the new “white” card should work in the same way as the old “blue” card. Taking my home box with me to access premium channels is just too much trouble and rather defeats the object of having a separate box installed in the motorhome. I have been told that if you ring Sky that they can pair the card with another box, but doubt that they will do this on a regular basis as I alternate between home and the motorhome.

Brian

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Thanks for all your responses so far which seem to confirm my thoughts that the new “white” card should work in the same way as the old “blue” card. Taking my home box with me to access premium channels is just too much trouble and rather defeats the object of having a separate box installed in the motorhome. I have been told that if you ring Sky that they can pair the card with another box, but doubt that they will do this on a regular basis as I alternate between home and the motorhome.

Yes the new white sky cards work just like the old blue house cards - ie in ANY sky box you get the "6 mixes" but for sports and movies you get "this is the wrong card for the set top box".
Even some of the "multicam" receivers (ie nonsky boxes with special software) that read sky cards do not work with the sports or movie channels (yet!) - they are fine for the blue card tho!
Sky do not like pairing the card to another box on a regular basis.
And rememebr the further south you go the reception of certain channels will reduce....thats why we have 1.8 and 2.4m dishes here in Costa Blanca Spain!! Even on those not all channels are available 24/7, even some of the HD movie channels!

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
thought you might be. You gave some helpful info when we all lost TV signal out there last year! Thanks.

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
sky will change the pairing whenever you want them to. why pay for sport & movies and not be able to watch them when you are away? just don't tell them you will be viewing away from your home address. i usually say the second box is in the summerhouse and doesn't get used much.

we have sky+at home & in the MH with seperate subscriptions. at the last increase in subs i cancelled the top package for the MH card & went to the basic one. when i go away during the football season i'll just ring up & add sport to the card & cancel it when i come back.

i regularly ring them to 'refresh' my card/box because if i don't use the box for a while then i can only get the 'free' channels. they never say 'you keep doing this. no we won't do it.'

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, We take our sky+ box abroad with us, it is much easier to just put it into the motorhome, or take it to the static during the summer.

We have two sky+ boxes and the intention was to leave one in the static and just take the card with us everytime, BUT if you are like us and like to record on your sky + you will find that unless the card is paired to the box you will be unable to record programmes.

Ginny

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back