Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
Hi just a couple of questions

First one is regarding my toilet its a thetford aqua magic, I still need to purchase a holding tank for it but not sure what size I should go for, the space thats under toilet I could squeeze 350L tank. basically there are 2 adults and looking for 7 days of use without having to empty the tank but on the other hand I dont want to be having a massive tank if I dont need it.

the second question is regarding the shower/grey tank whats the minimum drop height between the shower base and the tank to get the water to flow away

Thank you

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
The answer to your second Q will depend upon the distance from shower trap to grey waste tank....

On my MoHo.. The distance is about 2.5m and i'd guess the top of the tank is about 100mm lower than tray waste... ( double floor)

However, I can fill the tray with water quite easily.. Espec if the 2 plug holes get fluff n hair in it as it drains... Also if "not quite level (side to side)..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My RV had 40 (us) gallon black and grey tanks and we, two of us, never manage to fill either over a 4 day period

40 us gallons = 151 ltrs

Problem you may have regarding size is can it fit around the chassis area directly below the toilet, it needs a straight drop into the rank, not via tubes/pipes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Regarding the grey tank.
As you are self building avoid the normal convoluted waste pipe, instead use 32mm or 40mm sink waste then drop isn't a problem as long as there is some drop.
Convoluted pipe causes a vortex effect which slows the flow dramatically.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
A 3 gallon cassette lasts 2 people 3 days aprox so 10 /12 gallon tank should do you a week easy
terry

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
My RV had 40 (us) gallon black and grey tanks and we, two of us, never manage to fill either over a 4 day period

40 us gallons = 151 ltrs

Problem you may have regarding size is can it fit around the chassis area directly below the toilet, it needs a straight drop into the rank, not via tubes/pipes.
When I installed the toilet the location was based upon the chassis layout underneath so its a straight drop and can fit a rectangular tank up to 350l

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
Regarding the grey tank.
As you are self building avoid the normal convoluted waste pipe, instead use 32mm or 40mm sink waste then drop isn't a problem as long as there is some drop.
Convoluted pipe causes a vortex effect which slows the flow dramatically.
Didn't think of that, using normal household pipe with glue joints would be spot on and cheaper, suppose I could always install traps as well

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Didn't think of that, using normal household pipe with glue joints would be spot on and cheaper, suppose I could always install traps as well
I would suggest pushfit joints as the vibration could crack the glue resulting in grey waste going on the grass/gravel......severely frowned upon on this forum. :xdoh:

To ensure they dont come apart they could be wired across the joint with a hose clip on each pipe or simply taped but the chances of seperation are pretty slim.

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
I would suggest pushfit joints as the vibration could crack the glue resulting in grey waste going on the grass/gravel......severely frowned upon on this forum. :xdoh:

To ensure they dont come apart they could be wired across the joint with a hose clip on each pipe or simply taped but the chances of seperation are pretty slim.

those glue joints are pretty damn tough used them in the house and once they are together there not coming apart the glue is basically abs plastic grains and acetone and it melts/welds the pipe and joint together. will do some tests with both types

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Agreed, i never saw one come apart and never succeded in seperated one but i was thinking access if one should.....but theres no prolonged vibration in a house system.
Dont want to be dropping tanks to fix a minor leak.

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
Agreed, i never saw one come apart and never succeded in seperated one but i was thinking access if one should.....but theres no prolonged vibration in a house system.
Dont want to be dropping tanks to fix a minor leak.
I know what you mean with the push joints there is a bit of built in flexability

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Reading some of the answers I can only conclude we must be weird ! two standard cassettes would last us 4 to 5 days absolute max ..
@Jaws must be a super pooper.:xrofl::xrofl::xrofl:

Depends which loo you have, the C200 swivel bowl has a 17Lt waste tank I think older versions it was only 15 or 16Lt. C400bench loos have either 19 or 20 Lt (with or without wheels).
We use a plant spray bottle for flushing saves a lot of water going into the tank and saves wasting fresh water supply. Last van had a C200 would do 2 days normal use or 3 days using a spray bottle, current van has a C400 so 4 days easy to achive.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yesss.. we have the C200 and a good average is two days..
It aint me cos being a bloke I can wild wee !! Must be her and her bloody water tablets LOL !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back