turky brest up or down (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
ok we are having moor for diner than we thought so we are changing the menu were having slow grown free range turkey
should I cook it Brest down or up
bill

Reactions: DBK

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I cook mine breast up but I steam it the Phil Vickery from this morning way rather than roast to keep it moist. I've done it this way for the last three years and it's the best taste.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Down, all juices run onto the breast keeping it moist. Then up for last 20 mins or so. Sauagemeat stuffing (add chopped chestnuts or whever if you wish) pushed under the skin at neck end also helps keeps it moist. Merry Xmas & enjoy :xThumb:

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Best way is to cook for half the time breast down, then turn over and cook breast up. Seems to cook more evenly that way
We cook ours on sliced onion, then use a hand blender to mix them into the juices, for extra tasty gravy

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Learn something everyday, this link describes a method where you flip the bird over. Broken Link Removed

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Another vote for turning the Turkey over, used this method for years. :xThumb:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Try this, from a man who knows! (Cook the stuffing separately to ensure thorough cooking by allowing threat to penetrate the bird)

THE PERFECT CHRISTMAS ROAST TURKEY

My traditional Christmas Turkey recipe will impress friends and family this year. Try to buy the best organic / free range bird you can get hold of. Visit your trusted butcher well in advance to place your order. The quality of your bird will determine the success of this experience! If however you are unable to use a fresh turkey, ensure that your frozen turkey is thoroughly defrosted.

The total cooking time for this dish is 3hrs, this is split between 1.5hrs cooking in the oven and the remaining 1.5hrs resting! Do not be fooled into thinking that the Turkey only cooks in the oven; by leaving the Turkey to rest, you allow the residual heat to penetrate right to the core. Believe me, it has been tried, tested and tried again.

Cooking time: 3hrs (1.5hrs in the oven, 1.5hrs resting).

Great accompaniment: Cranberry sauce.

Special equipment: Roaster and rack.

Ingredients Required

5kgBronze turkey, free range / organic, wishbone remove, thawed to 16’c (*1)

1Turkey neck, chopped into 3cm pieces

200gTurkey wings, chopped into 3cm pieces

20mlRapeseed oil

40gButter, unsalted, room temperature

2 pinchesSea salt

2 pinchesWhite pepper, freshly ground

200mlWater

1 tspArrowroot, diluted in 15ml cold water

Cooking Method

Planning ahead

Ask the butcher to prepare it for you, to remove and chop up the wings and neck into 2cm pieces and to remove the wish bone (this makes the turkey easier to carve).

Cooking the turkey

Preheat the oven to 220°C.

Place a large roasting tray on the stove over a medium heat. Add the rapeseed oil followed by the wings and chopped neck and roast for 10 minutes, turning them every 2 minutes to ensure an even colour. Meanwhile, in a small bowl with the back of a dessert spoon, soften the butter with the salt and pepper. Using a pastry brush, cover the turkey with half of the soft seasoned butter. In the last 2 minutes of roasting the wings and neck, add the remaining butter to the tray. Place the turkey on top of the roasted bones and place into the preheated oven for 30 mins.

After this initial roasting time, baste the turkey all over, reduce the oven temperature to 150°C, add the water and continue to cook for an hour basting every 20 minutes with the cooking juices to impart maximum flavor and even caramelisation to your Turkey. At the end of the cooking time, test by inserting a skewer or roasting fork into the thickest part of the thigh of the turkey; if the liquid that runs out is transparent and not bloody, the turkey is cooked (*2). You can alternatively use a temperature probe the thigh meat should reach just above 70°C and the breast meat will be around 63°C.

Remove the turkey from the oven, place onto a large tray or carving board to rest for a minimum of 30 minutes and up to 1.5 hours (*3). Reserve in a warm place until needed. This should give you ample time to cook your roast potatoes and other accompanying vegetables as you now have a free oven space

Finishing the roasting juices

Place the baking tray on the hob on a medium heat, bring to the boil and stir the bottom of the tray to dissolve the caramelised roasting juices. Taste and adjust the seasoning if required. Remember to save and add the resting juices from the turkey.

Stir the diluted arrowroot to slightly thicken the jus as it is simmering.

Strain through a fine sieve into a warm sauce boat.

Cooking chart (the resting period was done uncovered)

Probed intervals

Breast Temp

Thigh temp

Straight from the oven

63°C

77°C

After 20mins resting

67°C

80°C

After 40 mins resting

64°C

67°C

After 1 hour resting

60°C

63°C

* As all domestic ovens vary, please ensure you use a probe to check the temperature of your Turkey before serving. This is to make sure that your Turkey is fully cooked through.

- See more at: Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
As iandsm has posted Raymond Blanc's method which is just how I do mine but he emphasises how important the resting time is.
Some years I have cooked the bird and taken it to the house we are eating in and covered it thoroughly with foil and transported in one of those large white polystyrene boxes that fishmongers and butchers use.
Done the same with large rib of beef too and he's spot on.
The moisture creeps back to the whole bird.
The other tip he gives which makes carving a whole lot easier is removing the wishbone before cooking.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Bill, I cook mine breast down, pre heat the oven to 230c, wrap the turkey in foil, cook for about 30 mins, then turn down to 190c for 3 hours ( my bird is about 5k ) about 30 mins from the end turn bird over remove foil to brown the turkey then remove and let rest for an hour then enjoy. Hope your Christmas goes well. :xsurprised:

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We always cook poultry breast down then turn over to brown - duck for us this year. Agree that resting any meat seems to improve the texture. Stuffing with fat like sausage meat really helps make lean meat more moist but our duck stuffing won't need it.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I do ours on rack covered in foil in water bath....breast nice and juicy. Lemon, onion, herbs in water

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
the bird is now plucked ready for the oven breast down I think so looking forward to having this Christmas day and then duck boxing day bill

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
well there is one thing we will have another one of them the best turkey we have ever had just a tad big for just six folks well for actually as we had one wont eat it and a vegetarian
but it was lovely
bill

Alpha

Free Member
Feb 7, 2016
San Fransisco
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Start cooking your turkey upside-down--that is, breast-side down--in a v-shaped rack in your roasting pan. As the turkey cooks, the juices accumulate in the breast meat, essentially basting it from within

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We started cooking our turkey, breast down, at Christmas three years ago. It made a big difference to the succulence of the meat. So much so it's our new method now.....until a better idea comes a long!

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
We started cooking our turkey, breast down, at Christmas three years ago. It made a big difference to the succulence of the meat. So much so it's our new method now.....until a better idea comes a long!
Is it cooked yet? :)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We have a 20lb turkey so is too heavy to flip over!

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Up...

probably...

1545646_682923425064212_1441955592_n[1].jpg

:giggler:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
1545646_682923425064212_1441955592_n-1-jpg.93219

So what shall we talk about now....... I Know, have any of you lady funsters ever suffered from severe sub-burn?:blush:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Talking of Old Birds, hows it hangin' Dawn?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back