Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
what exactly is a status ariel :Eeek:

An aerial ( why can no-one spell aerial in here ! ) made by Status.

The round one is not much good but the newer one you have to point at the transmitter should be provided you know where the transmitter is. Hint - look at buildings nearby.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
An aerial ( why can no-one spell aerial in here ! )

He started it Miss:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The round one is not much good but the newer one you have to point at the transmitter should be provided you know where the transmitter is.

Agreed, we had the 530 locker mount (shorter pole) in the old 'un and I was suitably impressed. Got a wierd alien bat wing thing now:Eeek:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The top one is a status 315 omni directional waste of roof space

But with one problem, ever time I say that, next time I turn on ours produces a perfect result. We've had perfect pictures across Europe and also perfect failures across Europe with analogue and digital.

I wonder if it is polarisation ? Obviously being flat it's basically horizontally polarised whereas transmitters are horizontal or vertical.

Either way it's very hit and miss.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

Winston_C_4ever

Deleted User
ok

i am slightly confused, is the round aeril bad :whatthe::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Frankia

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Yup. thed round one is an omni directional antenna. Which means it receives signals from all the way round. now you would think that would be good as you don't know where the signal is coming from. Unfortunately the omni can't tell which signal you want so it passes them all along and amplifies them. This means you get ghosting and interference caused by other stations or transmitters on a nearby frequency and also the signal you want being bounced off your roof and any other solid object nearby.

try using the dreaded sputnic in an open field with a good signal - you will get a telly picture but add an RV on the next pitch and it will look bad then as you add another one on the other side it will look decidedly c**p!.

In view of the impending switch off of analogue it is best to have a good directional antenna which you can point at the transmitter together with a good signal finder to get the best signal.

At present, in areas where there are still both digi and analogue, some of the digi signals are weak. You may get strong BBC channels and not see some of the others depending which multiplexer they are on. When the anlogue ones are turned off all mux's will be amplified but you will still need a good antenna, especially in remote areas.

There has been a lot of b*****ks talked about the better picture you get from digi but it aint necessarily so. If you have a really good signal from the transmitter then the picture on analogue is actually better than a digi one. (The analogue uses a much wider bandwidth) As the signal gets weaker the digi one is better for a while as you only have too states with digi - working or nowt at all (tech term). As the signal gets weaker still the digi goes off all together whereas the analogue will still be producing a watchable picture for quite a while.

If in doubt - get a dish and watch your progs from satellite:Smile:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
i am slightly confused, is the round aeril bad :whatthe::thumb:

Yes in a word. But it will work in good signal areas.

Bigger question is, why do we need them. Can stay at home and watch telly. But it's not only the Brits, all over EU we see vans arrive and before the kettle has boiled they have an erection.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Frankia

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Antenna - zoology. one of the jointed, movable, sensory appendages occurring in pairs on the heads of insects and most other arthropods.

An erect one maybe:Smile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back