Free Member
Nov 16, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 89
i have just bought a 1978 bmw r80. to tinker with, it a runner but not road legal mot wise, the front disc's are warped, and the offside exhaust needs replacing, battery is knackered. last on the road in 2008. but engine is good, paintwork needs to be redone starting to get a list of parts/prices. it would have been cheaper to buy a legal runner but the fun is doing it up.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I've had a BMW for the last 2 years! I like the feature whereby you touch the indicator stalk up or down without locking it in place and it gives three flashes to show you are overtaking or returning to the near side lane. If I want to turn left or right I can lock the indicator stalk into position until it self cancels.

I reckon there are far more non-BMW drivers failing to indicate and perhaps the eyesight of those claiming to see BMW drivers fail to indicate is deficient!

Give the BMW driver beating a rest as you probably need your eyesight testing or perhaps it's a bit of car jealousy!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I've had a BMW for the last 2 years! I like the feature whereby you touch the indicator stalk up or down without locking it in place and it gives three flashes to show you are overtaking or returning to the near side lane. If I want to turn left or right I can lock the indicator stalk into position until it self cancels.

I reckon there are far more non-BMW drivers failing to indicate and perhaps the eyesight of those claiming to see BMW drivers fail to indicate is deficient!

Give the BMW driver beating a rest as you probably need your eyesight testing or perhaps it's a bit of car jealousy!
Whoops. Touched a nerve there I think

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Car or bike, whatever! They are class motors!

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
i have just bought a 1978 bmw r80. to tinker with, it a runner but not road legal mot wise, the front disc's are warped, and the offside exhaust needs replacing, battery is knackered. last on the road in 2008. but engine is good, paintwork needs to be redone starting to get a list of parts/prices. it would have been cheaper to buy a legal runner but the fun is doing it up.
I'm just rebuilding one of those with some friends. My jobs were rebuilding the engine and re-wiring.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Think it may be a bike !
Yes your quite right it is a bike, a classic in fact. If I remember it brought BMW out of the past and very much into the future and now they have a great range of bikes. :xThumb:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.

As someone who up to this year used to drive up to 100.000 miles a year I can assure you that IMO BMW drivers along with Audi drivers are amongst the worst on our roads, inconsiderate, disrespectful bullies.
Car jealousy ? They are brilliant cars but a large proportion of them are driven by as I said inconsiderate disrespectful bullies who think because they are driving expensive cars own our roads.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

My little Kia Rio 3 also does the three flash thingy, useful.

Car jealousy? Sad.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
So does my wife's ten grant Citroen C4. You don't need a BMW for that.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Can I suggest a football match on Christmas Day? :xsmile: It may not decide the war but it will start it off with the right tone.

And as the German comedian Henning Wehn once said: "the German auto industry is just the continuation of WW2 by other means."

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012

My BMW twin was a lot later than yours. But I have a few bits that may fit your R80. If I can find them I will PM you the part numbers and if good for you. You are welcome to them. Just service items - oil filters, belts and associated stuff.

The question is can I find them :)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i remember my uncle buying an ex police bmw bike around 1980. certainly looked and sounded like fun but he sold it after it fell on him when he tripped as he was pushing it across the garden. i called in for a coffee and heard him shouting for help, he had been there some time. never seen him that angry since, but the family thought it hilarious. to my knowledge that was his last proper motorcycle

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Check the indicators work as BMW cars don't.
I've had 2 BMWs and can confirm that, even though they were both about 10 years old when I bought them, the indicators on both cars worked perfectly.
Well, they would wouldn't they, the previous owners had little use for them.......

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I've had loads of BMW's over the years, toured all over Europe on them, many times, never had a breakdown, ever, not even a puncture.
The oldest was a 1960 R60/2 with 7 gallon Hoeske tank, I also had a R80/7, two R100RS, at different times, an R65, a K100RS then finished with four consequtive K75's, one after another, and these were without doubt my favourite BMW's, the last one I kept for 10 years, my longest ever, I also had other bikes as well, but none came close to the BM's for touring two up.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
As someone who up to this year used to drive up to 100.000 miles a year I can assure you that IMO BMW drivers along with Audi drivers are amongst the worst on our roads, inconsiderate, disrespectful bullies.
Car jealousy ? They are brilliant cars but a large proportion of them are driven by as I said inconsiderate disrespectful bullies who think because they are driving expensive cars own our roads.
And yet Mercedes-Benz drivers are the most considerate and respectful people you are ever likely to meet!
Personally I think BMW and Audi drivers are really Mercedes-Benz wannabes.

:cooler:

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Why not make a trike out of it?? I bought an old Yamaha xs750 1982 ,and have had great pleasure making it ito a trike.will be on the road in spring with my hells angel leather waistcoat and German army helmet ..

OP
OP
K

kalamitty

Free Member
Nov 16, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 89
thanks for the replys, at the moment i have it in dry storage as my garage is leaking and cold, i'm looking for a speedo, as the glass is cracked ( could be perpex). thanks for the tip about sherlocks will check them out and thanks mikeD i am looking at filters etc.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
And yet Mercedes-Benz drivers are the most considerate and respectful people you are ever likely to meet!
Personally I think BMW and Audi drivers are really Mercedes-Benz wannabes.

:cooler:
Even tongue in cheek your quite right in my experience, I really do think there are BMW and Audi bullies out there.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
thanks for the replys, at the moment i have it in dry storage as my garage is leaking and cold, i'm looking for a speedo, as the glass is cracked ( could be perpex). thanks for the tip about sherlocks will check them out and thanks mikeD i am looking at filters etc.

If you can prise of the chrome cover/surround, your local glass shop will cut you a round glass replacement.
I did it with a pair of Suzuki GT 250 clock's that were perpex - they looked better than new.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
We have the original clocks from ours to sell if they are OK. It will be a couple of weeks before I can check them though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back