Free Member
Jul 10, 2009
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
first
I'm changing from c/v to motorhome (yay) for first time and could do with some advice please.

Is there some where I can get a value (online glasses guide type database)?

I've seen advertised a 1992 Talbot 2.5 diesle with Elddis 5 berth, 48k, VGC. Going to see it at the w/e and hoping to purchase if all ok. Could really do with som help though.
Are there any known/notorious problems to look out for? Could this be a good purchase or would I be better with a different (more reliable) make?
What sort of price to expect to pay.

Is a vehicle of this age opening a can of worms, or do they usely turn out quite reliable if well cared for?

I'm a bit nervous to make this purchase on my own for first time so also wondering if there is someone who can carry out an official inspection for me, like the AA do on cars.

Thanks

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Wind_Dancer

It is quite possible for a motorhome of this age and mileage to be fine but depends on how it has been looked after.
Do you have a complete service record.
Has it had a cam belt change
The base you look at as you would a car
With the habitation part can any sign of leaks be seen on roof,around windows or doors, does it smell damp use your nose in bases and cupbords if damp in any of these leave well alone
Put your previous tugging knowledge to use, does every thing work don't take their word for it, test it.
These are some pointers if I have missed any someone else is bound to point it out.
If at all doubtful leave alone.
If you have a damp meter use it.
Try to get a friend to go with you a caravan user would help.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Hi Wind_Dancer
Sorry forgot to say WELCOME to the FUN on re-reading just saw this was your first post:Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Hi welcome to fun.

We had a 1994 Eldiss Voyager 2 many years ago we liked the van but I felt it had one big drawback. It was a 2.5 normally aspirated i.e. non turbo Diesil which ran out of puff very quickly. Overtaking lorries became a challenge at time on a slight incline it became difficult and sometimes impossible to break the bow wave and often we would be pushed back.

We were only 2 up and not fully laden so I dont know what it would be like with more weight

Upvote 0

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
I'm changing from c/v to motorhome (yay) for first time and could do with some advice please.

Is there some where I can get a value (online glasses guide type database)?

I've seen advertised a 1992 Talbot 2.5 diesle with Elddis 5 berth, 48k, VGC. Going to see it at the w/e and hoping to purchase if all ok. Could really do with som help though.
Are there any known/notorious problems to look out for? Could this be a good purchase or would I be better with a different (more reliable) make?
What sort of price to expect to pay.

Is a vehicle of this age opening a can of worms, or do they usely turn out quite reliable if well cared for?

I'm a bit nervous to make this purchase on my own for first time so also wondering if there is someone who can carry out an official inspection for me, like the AA do on cars.

Thanks
I always think the best place to purchase is a dealer that way you have comebacks if theres any probs:thumb: and you usually get a service and road tax with your purchase:Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
wind_dancer

wind_dancer

Free Member
Jul 10, 2009
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
first
Thanks for the informative and helpful replies :Smile:

Dave, I have made a note of your tips, and thank you for the welcome comments too!

Lunarman, it is a Voyager 2 I'm looking at so that was particularly helpful. Will definately check it out on a hill first! Any other tips most welcome.

Thanks Peter & Baz for your feedback

I'd prefer to go to a dealer, but not much choice on the older budget vans, so will look into an inspection.

Someone told me that the older ones are made with more durable materials in the conversion, that the value would be around £7-10k (for a TDi, which this one isn't) and that Elddis is the cheaper option. Does this sound accurate?

Cheers
Chris

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Hi Wind_Dancer

Don't worry about Elddis being the cheaper model, they always have and still are, but it is mainlly in level of equipment fitted as standard. We had an Elddis 270 many years ago and only changed as it got to small for my wife who is disabled.
With the older motorhome it's condition now that matters, as people will have often added the extras missing when new.

Best of luck in your search:thumb::thumb: don't be in to much of a hurry, better to wait awhile and find what you want, than rush in and regret it later.:roflmto::roflmto:

Upvote 0

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Hi Wind dancer and welcome!
I can recommend Mark at Central leisure Services for a pre-purchase inspection. he has done two for us and saved us from one lemon!
Lucille::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Locky

Free Member
May 28, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 months and loving it
Welcome Winddancer,

I have a 1994 2.5 (non turbo) diesel Talbot Express. I have only had it three months and have had no problems so far.It has done 60000 miles and seems to have been serviced regularly. I purchased from a Dealer but i am sure it was an old part ex, i insisted on a cam belt change and full service.

I am sure you are having the same reservations that i did but i could not afford the £25000 - £35000 to get me into a much newer model. As we have had many weekends without any trouble we are now going to go to France in it in August.

We had every intention of keeping it for a year and then upgrading but would pay an absolute fortune to effectively just have a more modern dash. We have now decided to re-upholster at the end of the year and keep the current van.

Also once you purchase you will suddenly start to notice many vans of the same age or older...go for ot and enjoy.

Upvote 0

Locky

Free Member
May 28, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 months and loving it
Fogot to say that i paid £12000 for mine so £7 - 10000 sounds good value to me.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
wind_dancer

wind_dancer

Free Member
Jul 10, 2009
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
first
Frustratingly I have not been able to get on line for days due to IT problems.http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/images/smilies/angry.gif

The good news is, I am now the proud owner of my first motorhome http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/images/smilies/bigGrin.gif http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/images/smilies/clap2.gif I bought the 1992 Talbot Elddis I was enquiring about and it seems to be a wee cracker (quite big actually). I had a 3 hour drive home and it handled well, (but my leg didn't half ache from unusual drivingn position!)

Today I am driving off to Wales for a weekend away so I'll really get to know it. http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/images/smilies/smile.gif I hope I can figure out how to get everything to work ok!

Thanks everyone for the replies and info.

Christine

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back