Female Red Breasted Flycatcher? (1 Viewer)

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We Think! Not the best shots but the little bugger would not pose!

Attachments

• Bird 2.jpg
    Bird 2.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 133
  • Bird 1.jpg
    Bird 1.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 133

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Just found this as I was generally browsing Munchie, the shift is really quiet. :)I've been birding for a long time but would never call myself an expert, birds are too diverse and it's too easy to get an id wrong, something that is confirmed every time I'm out with the binos. Those are cracking shots imo and after seeing the left hand pic I would have agreed with R B Flycatcher. The second shot shows a better side view and that shows some white barring on the wing which makes me unsure as it suggests juvenile Spotted Flycatcher. I wish I knew more and could confirm your call. There are other more knowledgeable birders on here and hopefully this bump will get them to take a look.
(y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The bird feeders we bought from Aldi said they were god for several birds including flycatchers. Never seen a flycatcher in our garden yet, wuz we done?

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Baby Robin that has not got it`s "Red" breast yet.. :xThumb:

Can I say "Breast" on an open forum????????????? :xeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Baby Robin that has not got it`s "Red" breast yet.. :xThumb:

Can I say "Breast" on an open forum????????????? :xeek:

Better to say tit on a bird watching thread:xgrin:

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
munchies there are philistines everywhere , ive been protecting a nest that a couple of pied wagtails use , its in a piece of equipment called an Air Handling Unit , one guy was going to destroy the nest and looked at me like I was a alien when I threatened him with severe consequences , he is a Londoner and cant help it I suppose , I hope that the wagtails will use the nest again next year , last year they had a successful hatch of at least one chick

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Where did you see it, UK or ?.
How does it move, like a Robin/ Sparrow, or ? you can see it's an insect eating bird. Any other info?

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
munchies there are philistines everywhere , ive been protecting a nest that a couple of pied wagtails use , its in a piece of equipment called an Air Handling Unit , one guy was going to destroy the nest and looked at me like I was a alien when I threatened him with severe consequences , he is a Londoner and cant help it I suppose , I hope that the wagtails will use the nest again next year , last year they had a successful hatch of at least one chick
Is the nest site white Laird? We had a pair nesting under the top cover on our work propane tank for three years, last year they found a better place in the stables but still white.....:)

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Is the nest site white Laird? We had a pair nesting under the top cover on our work propane tank for three years, last year they found a better place in the stables but still white.....:)
to get a look at it Bertie , I have to pull some casings apart so I don't know , I have however seen a pied wagtail close to the nesting site on several occasions:)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
to get a look at it Bertie , I have to pull some casings apart so I don't know , I have however seen a pied wagtail close to the nesting site on several occasions:)
Thanks, but it seems Pied Wags are attracted to anything white to nest on however unlikely....my boss wouldn't allow the gas tank to be filled till the chicks had flown...that year they had two broods!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
IMO I would say in all probability a juvenile spotted as the red breasted sticks to W Asia and is a rare summer visitor further West of course it depends where spotted?
Unless someone knows different.:xsmile:

Last edited:

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I recognise it as a Flycatcher as they were regular summer visitor to my garden in England until the Sparrowhawk population increased and the just ate them all when they arrived. Their hunting technique makes them such easy targets.

But tell me, Why is that a Red Breasted Flycatcher. Mine looked very similar and I always thought they were Spotted Flycatchers. (I am nothing of a bird expert you of course, just what I have picked up over the years)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I recognise it as a Flycatcher as they were regular summer visitor to my garden in England until the Sparrowhawk population increased and the just ate them all when they arrived. Their hunting technique makes them such easy targets.

But tell me, Why is that a Red Breasted Flycatcher. Mine looked very similar and I always thought they were Spotted Flycatchers. (I am nothing of a bird expert you of course, just what I have picked up over the years)
Spotted flycatchers have a streaked breast and head if you google fly catcher birds you will see they come in all shapes sizes and colours.

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Spotted flycatchers have a streaked breast and head if you google fly catcher birds you will see they come in all shapes sizes and colours.
Thanks - interesting :)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
In one of your pictures, it appears that the bird may have white wing-bars; it's not that easy to be certain from the angle of the shot. If so, my money would be on a female (or juvenile) Pied Flycatcher.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
The Spotted Flycatcher is about the size of a House Sparrow.

The male and females are alike: slim with grey-brown upperparts, whitish underparts with dark streaks on the crown, breast and throat. The bill and legs are both black.

Juveniles are similar to the adults but have pale spots on the upperparts.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back