Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
:xgrin:Hello everyone,
Has any of you out there any experience of the above as they look like an easier solution than air ride suspension as it just replaces the shock absorbers on the rear axle.
Any advice much appreciated thanks in advance.:xThumb:

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
I understand them to be "Self Levelling Shock Absorber".
I tried to get info on these but Alko would not talk to me, have to go via their retailers who told me " only available on new build". I didnt believe the answer as how would you get a spare? Hopefully someone else has a better response.

OP
OP
Speve
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I understand them to be "Self Levelling Shock Absorber".
I tried to get info on these but Alko would not talk to me, have to go via their retailers who told me " only available on new build". I didnt believe the answer as how would you get a spare? Hopefully someone else has a better response.
Yes I found it difficult to get any info but notice Towtal were offering to do it for £899 which sounds a little expensive as compared to air assist which would not be that much more.However I would think they must be available at a better price.
Al-Ko GENUINE Suspension upgrade
March 3rd, 2011
This is now available in the UK.
We are going to be fitting for £899 inc.

Visit = http://tinyurl.com/48y9ad7

News | Press
AL-KO LEVEL CONTROLLER (ALC) provides greater degree of safety for utility vehicles
Optimal riding level, more comfortable suspension and driving stability for utility vehicles

Hanover/Kötz, September 2010

Changing or constant heavy loads often cause utility vehicles to sink on the rear axle. This significantly reduces ground clearance – especially for vehicles with a lower wheelbase and longer overhangs. This can be especially problematic when driving over bumps or up inclines. Moreover, the center of gravity is altered, which fundamentally changes vehicle performance. This can negatively impact driving comfort. The AL-KO LEVEL CONTROLLER (ALC) counteracts all of these negative side effects. In place of conventional shock absorbers, the fully automatic system maintains optimal vehicle level over the rear axle on both sides of the vehicle – no external power supply required. When in motion, the ALC also assumes a portion of the load, which would normally be carried solely by the torsion bar spring. Alongside improved suspension damping, this results in a noticeable increase in driving comfort – regardless of road surface.

The functionality of the maintenance-free ALC is as simple as it is effective, and works similar to a pump. Once a vehicle starts to move, movement is created between the wheel and the vehicle body. A piston rod pushes oil from an oil reservoir against a gas cushion in the high-pressure storage tank, and the system uses this movement to keep the vehicle body at a predetermined, optimal level. Regardless of load, the ALC maintains ideal vehicle height and thus guarantees a safe and comfortable ride. Depending on utility vehicle type, the ALC functions within a predetermined weight range of about 700 kilograms (1,543 pounds). Below this load limit, it serves as a simple shock absorber.

The AL-KO LEVEL CONTROLLER is generally assembled in combination with a maintenance-free AL-KO AMC axle. Compared to conventional torsion bar suspensions, the ALC only weighs a meager 25 kg (55 lbs). This still provides our customers with a stabile ride and significantly optimized suspension comfort.

The ALC was developed in conjunction with ZF Sachs and was adapted to meet special requirements that utility vehicles pose.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Speve
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Thanks @Pete H already in touch with them and awaiting details of cost and where to obtain them here is the reply I received from them.

Good morning Sir,

Can you please provide me with your CRIS number, Model, Year of manufacturer and I will contact our german counter parts to see if I can get the ball rolling for you.

Kind regards

Chris Gordon

Sales & Production Administration

AL-KO KOBER Limited
South Warwickshire Business Park
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed

Tel: Broken Link Removed

E: chris.gordon@al-ko.co.uk
W: www.al-ko.co.uk

OP
OP
Speve
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@Pete H of course I will hope it will be soon but they tell me Alko is closed for Christmas,as soon as I hear anything I will let you know.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Update. E-Mailed them Earlier to-day, Got an E-Mail back from them Circa 4pm (ish). Asking for details of the Chassis etc.? Guy says He will come back to me when he has an answer relative to my Specification.

Pete

OP
OP
Speve
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@peter H It looks like you need to go to Germany to have it installed here's the Email replys from Alko UK. You need to read from bottom first as attached wrong way up.

Good morning Sir,
After a few enquiries it looks like the ALC unit should be built onto the chassis during production on the lines, there is no real facility at Al-Ko Southam to build and implement the device onto an already built chassis.
I am afraid on this occasion we are unable to assist you further.
Sorry for being the barer of bad news.
Kind regards

Chris Gordon

Sales & Production Administrator.

Warranty and Service.

AL-KO KOBER Limited

South Warwickshire Business Park
Broken Link Removed
Tel: Broken Link Removed
E: chris.gordon@al-ko.co.uk
W: www.al-ko.co.

Subject: Re: Ref ALC Kit and Installation

Hello Chris,

Thanks for the reply I really need to know an estimate of the cost of this and is Alko UK to do this as I would be happy to have it done in UK particularly although I would be prepared to travel to Germany if the cost is not prohibitive.

Kindest regards

Alan

On 11 Jan 2016, at 08:34, Gordon Chris <chris.gordon@al-ko.co.uk> wrote:

Good morning Sir,

Please see below for the reply from Germany,

Hello Chris,
we are able to deliver a ALC Kit.
But in Germany we only build in this system at Kötz or Ettenbeuren.
So the customer have two options:

The customer came to Southam and we send the parts to you. But are you able to build in this system? (for after sale we don´t change the axle, only the swing arms)

The second option are, that the customer came to our customer center at Kötz and we build the ALC in his car. (no mind about the distance, we have customer, how came from Norway to make such a modification)
Can you please let me know how you would like to proceed.
Kind regards
Chris Gordon
Sales & Production Administration

AL-KO KOBER Limited

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back