LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Although we have a guaranteed trade in for Buffy we have advertised her privately on Gumtree. THe thinking is that we could get a bit more for her than the trade in or even sell her for the trade in value and put cash into premium bonds for a couple of months - you never know!

Just been "stood up" today by a no show. Then had a phone call from a dealer (recently given bad press) who says they will make a offer on her unseen. Yeah, right.

We are using a disposable SIM card for the ad :)

The lady who came to look last week was keen but when we talked to her we realised it was not the vehicle for her and managed to get her to see what would suit her better. No way could I let someone buy something from me knowing it wasn't right and wouldn't work for them.

I am starting to think the hassle of selling privately isn't worth it.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
stick with it..you will obviously get some who are still undecided/browsing. If they are traveling to see it maybe more serious. Ebay classified the best medium, fixed price and wide audience

what sim and how much please:) as advertising my van in new year

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
stick with it..you will obviously get some who are still undecided/browsing. If they are traveling to see it maybe more serious. Ebay classified the best medium, fixed price and wide audience

Most people have to come a long way to view because of where we live!

How much do ebay charge? I'm concerned that I end up paying fees for no result as has happened in the past.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We paid ÂŁ35 for a fixed price ad on EBay when we sold our Bessie
I'd leave advertising now until after Christmas
Good luck with the sale !

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Good luck with the sale, we might be in same position early next year. We will either trade in our let our storage place broker for us.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We paid ÂŁ35 for a fixed price ad on EBay when we sold our Bessie
I'd leave advertising now until after Christmas
Good luck with the sale !
It must be a sliding scale then based on value...my ÂŁ30K advert was around ÂŁ15 I think

And presumably why dealers advertise new vans for ÂŁ1000 to get round cost...

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
It must be a sliding scale then based on value...my ÂŁ30K advert was around ÂŁ15 I think

And presumably why dealers advertise new vans for ÂŁ1000 to get round cost...
Just checked
It's ÂŁ15 fixed fee for a classified ad
Or ÂŁ10 listing fee plus 1% if you sell using a buy now listing
I think the 1% is limited to ÂŁ25

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I got a better offer from the dealer for my Elddis than people were prepared to offer privately in the summer! I also got paid more for my car recently (no trade in) by a webuyanycar competitor than was being asked by sellers for a private sale. So I guess its supply and demand, I really wouldn't bother with a private sale unless the difference was thousands, just not worth the risk and hassle for a few quid.

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I really wouldn't bother with a private sale unless the difference was thousands, just not worth the risk and hassle for a few quid.

That's what I am starting to think as well. It also means if we don't sell her we could sneak in an early spring trip if we want to.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Advertise it here or on say Ebay.. If buyers play the silly offer game simply ignore them. Seriously dont even send a reply . State this in your ad that offers will simply be ignored. Ask more than the trade in price to make it worth your while and ask the supplying dealer for a discount based on no part ex.

Worth a try with little to loose. (y)

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
Already is :)

Broken Link Removed

The dealer who rang came back with an offer several thousands less than the guaranteed trade-in.

The guaranteed trade-in does of course include the over-allowance made by the dealer instead of discount which could well be more than he would retail it for if he wasn't trading it.

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
The guaranteed trade-in does of course include the over-allowance made by the dealer instead of discount which could well be more than he would retail it for if he wasn't trading it.

But we are happy with the final outcome - and it was made clear that there would be no movement on price even without trade in as we already have a lot (and I mean a lot) of extras / accessories.

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
But we are happy with the final outcome - and it was made clear that there would be no movement on price even without trade in as we already have a lot (and I mean a lot) of extras / accessories.
I guess the extras/accessories are your discount in effect then.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

How do you know there is an over allowance ? An over allowance is only made if there is sufficient profit in what they are selling. At the end of the day it's the figure they offer not how it's formed or dressed up to be.

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
How do you know there is an over allowance ? An over allowance is only made if there is sufficient profit in what they are selling. At the end of the day it's the figure they offer not how it's formed or dressed up to be.
I will change that to read any over-allowance. The whole thing comes down to cost to change. I would very much doubt they are not making any profit. I know how it works after 25 years in the trade.

Last edited:

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I will change that to read any over-allowance. The whole thing comes down to cost to change. I would very much doubt they are not making any profit. I know how it works after 25 years in the trade.

Of course it comes down to price to change. The so called over allowance is usually thrown in at the end of negotiations. This is used as a persuader as you know. But many experienced buyers are or can be insulted by this when they think why did the sales bloke just not give the figures or that part of the figure in the first place.

No disagreeing with you by any means it's just the way some choose to work..

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
Of course it comes down to price to change. The so called over allowance is usually thrown in at the end of negotiations. This is used as a persuader as you know. But many experienced buyers are or can be insulted by this when they think why did the sales bloke just not give the figures or that part of the figure in the first place.

No disagreeing with you by any means it's just the way some choose to work..
It's just the nature of sales I suppose, very few deals are done without negotiation. If the seller gave the final price first the buyer would still expect it to be improved.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back