food grade hose & mouldy bits (1 Viewer)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We have a food-grade hose which now has a few black patches on the inside.
Any advice please? (eg how to clean, or its perfectly safe, or if we need to get a new one)

Please, no "you don't need food-grade" etc comments, it's what we choose to have. Ta :xsmile::xThumb:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Buy some cleaning stuff from a home brew shop if you have one near you. Bruclean is good. Just make it up as directed on the packet and immerse the hose in a bucket or whatever is big enough to take it. You could also try Milton.

Or buy a new hose - it may be easier!

Reactions: CWH
OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Thank you @DBK , I'll pass that on to Him Indoors :xwink::xThumb:

Reactions: DBK

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Milton tablets/liquid or similar. I foolishly used a hose to fill drinking water at a rally. Not only was I sick but it affected my dogs too ( only lasted a couple of days, nothing drastic just unpleasant) so worth making sure it's bug free.

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
plug one end, make up a solution of water and household thin bleach.. about a cup of bleach to a gallon of water

using a funnel, fill and let soak until clean..

.. flush
Thank you @scotjimland - I was a bit unsure about bleach but note the added "thin" :xThumb:

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Milton tablets/liquid or similar. I foolishly used a hose to fill drinking water at a rally. Not only was I sick but it affected my dogs too ( only lasted a couple of days, nothing drastic just unpleasant) so worth making sure it's bug free.
Ooh! that doesn't sound nice. Him Indoors won't use any of the tank water for ANYthing except washing/ washing up although I do, so as you say... it's well worth keeping it hygienic :xsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
From Milton Fluid product information

INGREDIENTS
Sodium Chloride 16.5% w/v

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS
Sodium Hypochloride 2% w/v

In other words, a salt solution containing common bleach

THIN bleach is Sodium Hypochloride 5% w/v

thick bleach is the same concentration as thin, but has thickeners and perfume added.. not good for hoses or tanks..

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
most sterilisers are weak bleach
From Milton Fluid product information

INGREDIENTS
Sodium Chloride 16.5% w/v

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS
Sodium Hypochloride 2% w/v

In other words, a salt solution containing common bleach

THIN bleach is Sodium Hypochloride 5% w/v

Thanks both for the info, I never had kids so I don't know about such things... :xgrin::xgrin::xgrin:

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
plug one end, make up a solution of water and household thin bleach.. about a cup of bleach to a gallon of water

using a funnel, fill and let soak until clean..

.. flush
If you plug one end the water might not fill the hose, I would pour water into the hose before plugging.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Our hoses are always going black in side in next to no time.
I used to worry about it but long since given up !!
As no one has died yet I shall continue not to worry too much :)

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We have a food-grade hose which now has a few black patches on the inside.
Any advice please? (eg how to clean, or its perfectly safe, or if we need to get a new one)

Please, no "you don't need food-grade" etc comments, it's what we choose to have. Ta :xsmile::xThumb:
You are correct - without the correct food-grade hose you would be unable to grow black patches. Or at least see them growing.:xsmile:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Stick with the "Home Brew option", Do a mix, syphon it through, once running block the end, keep the mix in for at least an hour, drain, flush, and hang the hose, if you can, in a straight line, so that ALL the water drains out, and the inside can dry, It's the water residue that is left in that go's off, goes mouldy.

Merry Xmas anyway, health wealth and happiness for 2015!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Regardless of what type of hose you use, you are essentially carrying around a tank full of stagnant water, eventually the tank needs to be sterilised. After the winterisation, which I haven't done this year due to the mild weather, the first fill of the tank has Milton in it. I leave that for about 24 hours, then dump the tank and refill!
Works for me.

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Regardless of what type of hose you use, you are essentially carrying around a tank full of stagnant water, eventually the tank needs to be sterilised. After the winterisation, which I haven't done this year due to the mild weather, the first fill of the tank has Milton in it. I leave that for about 24 hours, then dump the tank and refill!
Works for me.
Yes our tank gets a regular cleaning with Puriclean - after each long trip - in fact it's just been done ready for our Xmas/ NY jaunt.

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Thanks everybody. Consensus then is that we do need to do something, and I think Him Indoors rather fancies the idea of the home brew stuff (it's a Man Thing apparently :xgrin: ) We have a big tub so that should do the job nicely.
Have a great weekend :xsmile:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I filled a storage box with water with a cup of bleach in it. Connected a submersible 12volt pump to one end of the filler hose, fired the pump up and circulated the water round it for half an our, drained and refilled with clean water and did the same.
We don't drink the water out of the main tank, we use bottles of tap water.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I would just buy another length of hose if worried about it. Nothing lasts forever.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I hear loads of people say they don't use the tank water for drinking.. But it depends on where you are surely...
This country is pretty safe as is France and Spain (IMO) but gallon bottles of water are so cheap that we do have it for a "drink beside the bed" at night.
We have always used "Puritabs" in our tank, but only at a reduced dosage, so we don't get any "taste" in the water, then we can drink it if needs be...
A personal thing I guess..

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Thanks everybody. Consensus then is that we do need to do something, and I think Him Indoors rather fancies the idea of the home brew stuff (it's a Man Thing apparently :xgrin: ) We have a big tub so that should do the job nicely.
Have a great weekend :xsmile:

Good reminder!! Not about hoses or tanks but I remember when we caravaned as kids with Mum and Dad in the 50's we had a large yellow plastic bucket ( with lid!) that we all used as the loo in the van. Many years later Dad was still using the same bucket to brew his beer in...Use to say it gave the beer a particular flavor!! I expect we have still got it if anyone is interested.....!!:xwink:

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Nice :xlaugh:

(PS that's Yorkshire for "made me laugh out loud")

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We only use tank water for hot drinks so water is boiled and bottled for neat.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Bleaching may not get rid of the black marks on the inside of the hose
so a little wad of sponge and an airline will blow the sponge through wiping the inside of the hose
They use a similar method to clean the inside of pipes carrying draft beer in pubs

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC