Which weight? (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
The plate in my new Ducato engine bay shows gross weight of 3650kg, but the Burster plate inside the MH says 3500kg. Which one will any authority take. Chassis manufacturer or coach builder?

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
What revenue weight figure does it state in the V5C?

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
The weight on the V5 is the legal max, if that is 3500kg it would be a paper exercise to up plate to 3650kg.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
check the v5 it sounds like it has been up plated already .when you up rate the weight they send you a new plate to put along side the old one.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
The MH is only 3 months old and has the original engine plate as fitted by Fiat. The revenue weight on the VI is 3500kg. Presumably any authority stopping me on the side of the road will have access to DVLA records or will they just look at a vehicle plate?

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on and off since 1980
P
The MH is only 3 months old and has the original engine plate as fitted by Fiat. The revenue weight on the VI is 3500kg. Presumably any authority stopping me on the side of the road will have access to DVLA records or will they just look at a vehicle plate?

Probably downrated by Burstner for licence purposes

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I do not know why MH assemblers downrate to 3500 kg but in your case it is straightforward to have your V5C amended to 3650kg if you need to do that. It puts the vehicle in a different tax class which is cheaper but there will be some implications which might include additional insurance, breakdown recovery costs.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
As others have said, it has been down-rated to 3,500 kg by Burstner in order to appeal to non C1 licence-holders (or the equivalent abroad if it is an import). That will be the recorded revenue weight and will be available on-line to any inspecting authority.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Why do they do this and count you as a COMMERCIAL VEHICLE. it is all down to making them something they are not. I got caught as a LORRY going into the LEZ, and the fine is £1000 if imposed. A normal transit (same vehicle at 3500kgs ) is allowed no problem Because it was Euro3. Why cannot the authorities put them down as private leisure vehicle and that would stop the farce of driving licences needing to be same a a commercial lorry driver, C for new drivers with all the palaver that entails, and the medical problems for the older drivers at 70 all for a few kilos to make them legal with a small amount of private goods and shekels on board. After all the weight difference is only the weight of a couple of OBESE people and there spare clothes.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The plate in my new Ducato engine bay shows gross weight of 3650kg, but the Burster plate inside the MH says 3500kg. Which one will any authority take. Chassis manufacturer or coach builder?
The 'legal' plate is the Burstner one, so 3500kg max. You may be able to get it changed by DVLA to 3650kg if you can get something from Burstner to say it is still okay at that weight - if you've got the Certificate of Conformity check what that says. If Burstner won't play ball then the only way AFAIK is to get an engineer to approve it to be uprated as it is - SVTech is the 'usual' people to do this but I used another chap myself who was about a fifth of the cost!

Many mainland Europe produced MHs are kept at, or reduced to, 3500kg weight due to licencing limitations for buyers in their own country.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Put it on a weighbridge, now! A couple of years ago we had a Burstner in for air assist rear suspension but after a weighbridge visit (prior to fitting the air assist) it became obvious that the vehicle was simply not fit for purpose. Although it was plated and registeerd as 3500KGs GVW it was almost on that empty, even the driver would put it over its maximum weight!

D.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
What revenue weight figure does it state in the V5C?
Almost irrelevant it may seem. My V5C arrived with a revenue figure of 4000Kg on it. No where near I thinks to myself. Bearing in mind this is a brand new MH and all paperwork was sent to DVLA at the same time. Certificate of Conformity says it weighs 3850Kg. So who is right I thinks. Manufacturer plate or DVLA log book...
Today, arrives another V5C with revenue weight 3850Kg. How on earth do they get things so wrong and when did they realise. The Mass in Service weight has gone up as well.. - what ever that is.
Cannot guarantee the V5C is going to be correct. xroll:

Diamondcub

Free Member
May 17, 2013
Basingstoke, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
4 years
Put it on a weighbridge, now! A couple of years ago we had a Burstner in for air assist rear suspension but after a weighbridge visit (prior to fitting the air assist) it became obvious that the vehicle was simply not fit for purpose. Although it was plated and registeerd as 3500KGs GVW it was almost on that empty, even the driver would put it over its maximum weight!

D.
Dave, that is exactly what I found on my Burstner Aviano, over weight prior to loading. What did you do about it?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Dave, that is exactly what I found on my Burstner Aviano, over weight prior to loading. What did you do about it?
@dave newell lvs , I'd be interested as well ?

Why do they do this and count you as a COMMERCIAL VEHICLE. it is all down to making them something they are not. I got caught as a LORRY going into the LEZ, and the fine is £1000 if imposed. A normal transit (same vehicle at 3500kgs ) is allowed no problem Because it was Euro3. Why cannot the authorities put them down as private leisure vehicle and that would stop the farce of driving licences needing to be same a a commercial lorry driver, C for new drivers with all the palaver that entails, and the medical problems for the older drivers at 70 all for a few kilos to make them legal with a small amount of private goods and shekels on board. After all the weight difference is only the weight of a couple of OBESE people and there spare clothes.
I tried not to laugh but you are totally correct . Some of it is nonsensical. I have an acquaintance who has 2 early 90's Land Rovers. One , a swb pick up & the other a swb safari(?) one. They were built on the same day & are 3 numbers apart on the chassis number & with same engine.
One was classed as LEZ compliant form the outset & the other not. :(It is ludicrous.:xsad:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
my son and his friend have two vws that apear identical one is compliant one isnt

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
When I bought our MoHo (53 plate Autocruise Wentworth ) I took it over the weighbridge with half full fuel and fresh water tanks, spare wheel and me. 3250kgs :xeek: So at 3500kgs I had 250kgs to go! It was just never going to happen in this world.
When I got home I looked at the V5 and was very pleasantly surprised to see it had already been uprated to 3850kgs and air suspension fitted.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs

Personally I did absolutely nothing other than advise the owner of the issues. I believe they rejected the vehicle as unfit for purpose (although I may be mistaken) and bought one that was usable at its quoted weight..

D.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cannot guarantee the V5C is goi
How very true.

I used to have a Suzuki SJ410.

Unladen weight.....970kg...mine was even less, drivers seat only and every bit of unneccesary bodywork removed.
Gross weight.......3500kg

No way on gods earth could that little 4 x 4 have a payload of 2530kg....especially with a 1 liter 4 cylinder petrol engine.

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Interesting posting... I've just checked mine the ALKO plate states GVW 4500Kg but the V5 is blank? I am classed a PLG and only pay PLG RFL rates. The Fiat plate states 4250 (in engine compartment) so I'm unsure what my status is.

Diamondcub

Free Member
May 17, 2013
Basingstoke, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
4 years
The 'legal' plate is the Burstner one, so 3500kg max. You may be able to get it changed by DVLA to 3650kg if you can get something from Burstner to say it is still okay at that weight - if you've got the Certificate of Conformity check what that says. If Burstner won't play ball then the only way AFAIK is to get an engineer to approve it to be uprated as it is - SVTech is the 'usual' people to do this but I used another chap myself who was about a fifth of the cost!

Many mainland Europe produced MHs are kept at, or reduced to, 3500kg weight due to licencing limitations for buyers in their own country.
Hi MinnxyGirl
Thanks for your input, very informative.
Do you remember who you used please?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Interesting posting... I've just checked mine the ALKO plate states GVW 4500Kg but the V5 is blank? I am classed a PLG and only pay PLG RFL rates. The Fiat plate states 4250 (in engine compartment) so I'm unsure what my status is.
Your van is wrongly registered as 3500kg or less.
At 4500kg you should be paying private heavy goods rate of rfl.. £165 pa.

Technically, You may well be overloaded before you put anything in

Need sorting with DVSA

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi MinnxyGirl
Thanks for your input, very informative.
Do you remember who you used please?

Info below of the chap we used to do our uprating exercise (only cost us £76 but I think it's more now and depends on the amount of work that is involved). Best to ring and talk to him about what you want first. He's a qualified engineer but is an oldish chap so you have to be patient and wait for him to do the necessary (probably no longer than SV-Tech though!), his contact details are:

Mr AHJ Ruffles (calls himself John)
company is: JR Consultancy
tel: 01359 250808 / 01244 544 598
Email: johnatjrcon@aol.com

This is the email I sent him:

Further to my husband's (Chris) conversation with you today below are details of our camper which we wish to uprate from it's current MAM of 3500kg to 4250kg which we believe the vehicle in its current form is capable of being changed to without modification (the converter's COC shows that the weights are unchanged from the original vehicle supplied to them):
  • Reg No: FX15 RRZ (registered 7 May 2015)
  • VIN No: ZFA2500000*******
  • Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X250 Maxi 150 XLWB
  • Model Name: Globecar FamilyScout L (part of the Dethleffs group)
The weights shown on both the Fiat and Dethleffs (converter) VINs are:
  • MTPLM: 3500kg (to uprate to 4250kg)
  • Train: 6500kg (no change required)
  • Front Axle: 2100kg (no change required)
  • Rear Axle: 2400kg (no change required)
I attach the following information in a Word document:
  1. Copy of V5C
  2. Dethleffs (Globecar) Certificate of Conformity
  3. Photos of Fiat and Dethleffs VIN Plates & Photo of camper (showing registration number)
  4. Photos of Base Vehicle ID Logos and Tyre details
Please let me know if you need any more information. I look forward to hearing from you and hope you can help us!

Kind regards

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

From what you've said I assume you have a Maxi heavy chassis with an Alko rear end.

The original Maxi heavy chassis would have been plated at 4250kg by Fiat
Then when it was converted and the Alko chassis added the GVW was uprated by the converter to 4500kg

IMV you therefore have a MH that has a GVW of 4500kg and should be in the PHGV class and pay only £165 a year, the fact that your V5C hasn't got a weight on it is just an 'error' on the DVLA's part so you need to get in touch with them but first I'd sort out the road tax first - get in touch with the DVLA and inform them of your being in the wrong tax class - you might have to complete the 'amendment' section on your existing V5C and send it in with a covering letter and ask for a refund of your over-payment from whenever you can get it backdated to, you'll also need to ask for a new V5C to be issued which shows both your GVW and Revenue weight at 4500kg (2 different entries on the form).

https://www.gov.uk/contact-the-dvla

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Thanks Minxy and Papa, I'll get on to them next time I'm back in the UK.

(From Wet and windy Morbihan)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back