spare tyre in france (2 Viewers)

Nov 4, 2014
blackpool
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
If you have 1 damaged tyre in france. Would you have to have the other side of van done. A pal said this is the law in france.:xdoh:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Really? Same size, same construction even same make and tread pattern but fitted as a pair? Never heard that before.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
It is difficult to buy single tyres in France, because tyre outlets should only sell/fit tyres which match the other tyre on the same axle in all aspects. It is not an issue with the French equivalent of an MOT, but the gendarmes may have an issue with different tyres in an accident etc.

I buy single tyres on the internet from Germany if I need to.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Marvic
Nov 4, 2014
blackpool
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I have nt made my self clear have l . My pal was towed to a garage. In france. To repair his trailer tyre. They said they can only supple 2 tyres. He objected. French English speaking chap said this the law.??. I myself thought this could be wrong. ?lm finding things out before l go end of may 2016. Thanks anticipation

Deleted User
Sounds like take the p*** out of the English to me! I have bought single tyres in France in the past without a problem, was a few years ago though.

Lookaround

Free Member
Sep 23, 2015
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2004
I had a blow-out just over the border in Switzerland (from France) a couple of years ago and the dealer insisted I buy 2 tyres so maybe it's the same in France - a bit of a racket I think.

Last edited:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
It is law to have identical tyres on the same axle.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
It is law to have identical tyres on the same axle.

On my Company car when a tyre needs replacing Kwik Fit phones the Leasing Co who tell Kwik Fit which tyre to fit (probably the cheapest decent make). I have argued the case in the past that if the other tyre on the same axle is getting low, but still legal, I want two the same put on that axle. No Chance !!!

So if I go to France in my Company car with two different tyres on the same axle am I breaking the law ? If so, that gives me good ammo when I next need a tyre changed.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I have nt made my self clear have l . My pal was towed to a garage. In france. To repair his trailer tyre. They said they can only supple 2 tyres. He objected. French English speaking chap said this the law.??. I myself thought this could be wrong. ?lm finding things out before l go end of may 2016. Thanks anticipation
:xsurprised::xsurprised:......Yeah Right!! Law hey... "show me which one" would have been my answer! Never heard of such a law. I would think it is much more something like "hey look ...a foreigner... let's sell a bit more!!"

I could have bought a single tyre for Max when I had the multi punctures problem last summer.
But as the other one (both on rear axle) was the same date (2004...so 11 years of age!!) I decided to change both. they never told me to!
I'm going to check this ....just in case, it could be different for a trailer, but I doubt it!

Edit : @matamoros @Marvic Obviously I should have shut my gob! RIGHT .... Law says you must have same "everything": type of tyre, trade, drawing on the tyre etc....A seller , is not there to make you buy 2 identical tyres! If you had a puncture you may have for a temporary time 2 different ones, the different one being your spare.

In any case, the seller should not oblige you to buy more than one, you could have a spare one at home of same type that you want to fit yourself!
Hope this helps

Last edited:

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
A few years ago I had a puncture, tyre depot wanted to fit two tyres as per law, I said no, just one at the moment, he did so but insisted on writing on both copies of the invoice that I should have had two tyres fitted but had refused and he and I both signed it!!!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I had to buy two tyres when we had a slash in one when leaving Luxembourg. Our Japanese campervan's tyre sizes were not available in the 6 places that we tried but we were able to get a tyre that was within tolerance for the wheel size but we had to buy two so that we had the same size on the axle.

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
My friend who lives near Aix had a flat on his run flat tyres on his BMW. They would only sell him two. When he asked me I did not know of this rule but thought that if you put a new tyre on an axle with a used/part worn tyre would you not have different circumference tyres i.e. One full size and one smaller - up to 1-2cm depending on wear- therefore would the axle have wear issues and cause problems?

Deleted User
If the tyre depot will only sell 2 then there is not a lot you can do about it in an emergency whether it is the law or not but I would insist on keeping the replaced good tyre if I had the space. If not I would insist the tyre was destroyed in my presence, or put a knife through it myself.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
you can fit and drive legally in the UK with tyres on the same axle that are ; the same load rating, same ply rating; same size, same profile, but different makes .

so you drive over the channel and your vehicle is illegal :Eeek: really???

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
you can fit and drive legally in the UK with tyres on the same axle that are ; the same load rating, same ply rating; same size, same profile, but different makes .

Sounds like it. :xeek:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I had a similar tyre failure situation in France this year. The rule as it was explained to me is:

The tyre fitting garage must ensure you have the same tyre make/model/tread/size/load rating etc on both the offside and nearside of the same axle when fitting replacement tyres. Multiple axles can have different tyre makes as long as they follow the above rule.

A replacement (single tyre) was ordered with no pressure being applied to buy two. Unfortunately after a two day wait it didn't materialise. To expedite matters I had the garage order two tyres of a different make (non-camping car) which arrived two days later at a cost of €330 for the two including fitting.

As if that wasn't bad enough, I then had to explain (in my rudimentary French) how to remove and replace Tyron bands to a non-English speaking fitter.

To be fair the garage were extremely helpful.
Triscos Automobiles Parentis-en-Born.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
be interesting to see where that is written and translate it

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp

It is illegal for the tyre depot to SELL/FIT a tyre on the same axle if it is different in any aspect incl. manufacturer and type to the other tyre, I think there is a 5mm tread allowance....It would not fail an MOT (Control Technique) but it could be considered to be a contributory factor in an accident by the Gendarmes if they couldn't find anything else.....

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
It is illegal for the tyre depot to SELL/FIT a tyre on the same axle if it is different in any aspect incl. manufacturer and type to the other tyre, I think there is a 2mm tread allowance....It would not fail an MOT (Control Technique) but it could be considered to be a contributory factor in an accident by the Gendarmes if they couldn't find anything else.....

thanks for the info, where is that printed i.e. you can look up UK tyre laws.... dont disbelieve you but would like to see it so it takes away the " i know a person who knows " scenario

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010

Bit like towing with an A frame then !
:getmecoat:

:reel:

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
be interesting to see where that is written and translate it

'meme marque' is the key...

Article 9 :
Lorsque le code de la route interdit de monter des pneus de structures différentes sur un même essieu ( article 3, point 3.2 et 3.3) Il entend selon le Journal Officiel de la CE N°1 129/105 du 14/05/1992 que les pneus doivent être à la fois de :

• même marque
  • même dimension
  • même catégorie d’utilisation ( ex. route, neige, tout terrain).
  • même structure : radiale ou diagonale
  • même code de vitesse
  • même indice de capacité de charge
Pour les pneumatiques hiver, la capacité de vitesse peut être, licitement, inférieure à celle des pneumatiques d’origine, mais la vitesse de roulage doit alors être adaptée à cette limite inférieure.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
'meme marque' is the key...

Article 9 :
Lorsque le code de la route interdit de monter des pneus de structures différentes sur un même essieu ( article 3, point 3.2 et 3.3) Il entend selon le Journal Officiel de la CE N°1 129/105 du 14/05/1992 que les pneus doivent être à la fois de :

• même marque
  • même dimension
  • même catégorie d’utilisation ( ex. route, neige, tout terrain).
  • même structure : radiale ou diagonale
  • même code de vitesse
  • même indice de capacité de charge
Pour les pneumatiques hiver, la capacité de vitesse peut être, licitement, inférieure à celle des pneumatiques d’origine, mais la vitesse de roulage doit alors être adaptée à cette limite inférieure.
That seems clear enough!

:cooler:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
just found this

Obligations légales

Depuis 1995, le Code de la Route impose les règles suivantes :

Il est interdit de monter sur les véhicules automobiles et leurs remorques :

* des pneumatiques de structures différentes, à l'exclusion de l'éventuel pneumatique de secours à usage temporaire ;
* des pneumatiques de types différents sur un même essieu, qu'il soit à roues simples ou à roues jumelées ;
* des pneumatiques sur lesquels figurent un indice de capacité de charge ou un symbole de catégorie de vitesse inférieurs aux capacités maximales prévues par le constructeur du véhicule.

Lorsque le Code de la Route interdit de monter des pneus de structures différents sur un même essieu il entend que les pneus doivent être à la fois de :

* même marque
* même dimension
* même catégorie d'utilisation ( ex. route, neige, tout terrain)
* même structure : radiale ou diagonale
* même code de vitesse
* même indice de capacité de charge

Le code de la route précise aussi que :

* « Le témoin d’usure de 1,6 mm indique la hauteur de gomme minimum légale.»
* « La différence entre la profondeur des rainures principales de deux pneumatiques montés sur un même essieu ne doit pas dépasser 5 mm.

which translated means this I believe;;

Traduction (français > anglais)

See this on tires:

Legal Obligations

Since 1995, the Highway Code imposes the following rules:

It is forbidden to ride on motor vehicles and their trailers:

* tires of different structures, excluding the possible spare tire temporary use;
* different types of tires on an axle, whether single wheel or dual wheels;
* tires which are an index of carrying capacity or speed category symbol below the maximum capacity provided by the vehicle manufacturer.

When the Highway Code prohibits tires of different structures on the same axle it means that the tires must be both:

* same brand
* same size
* same class of use (eg road, snow, road)
* same structure: radial or diagonal
* same code rate
* same index of carrying capacity

The Highway Code also states that:

* "The wear indicator of 1.6 mm is the minimum legal height of gum."
* "The difference between the depth of the main grooves with two tires mounted on a single axle shall not exceed 5 mm.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
à l'exclusion de l'éventuel pneumatique de secours à usage temporaire ;

Tyres of different structures , excluding the possible spare tyre temporary use

You are then perfectly allowed to have 2 different tyres for a temporary time. Who is going to find out when your puncture occurred???
I will phone today to a few different garages to see how they understand the law.
I think there is some abuse of the garages wanting to sell 2 tyres of the same type. What if you can't afford it at that precise moment? But I do understand you can't do anything if they don't want to.
As I said previously I had a problem with a rear tyre last summer, and the garage I stopped at, never tried to sell me 2 tyres. "I" had to say I wanted both and that was only because WE checked together the date , and the possibility I could have more trouble. What makes it even less understandable is that the INSURANCE was involved!!!Had it been the law , they would have told me(people of the garage that is) to stick to it because the insurance was involved. Same thing with the HUGE lorry which helped me. Sent by the insurance he just fitted the spare wheel. He never said , you must now urge to put 2 tyres of the same kind instead.
I will make sure of the right of garages , tyres sellers, to sell 2 tyres only and not just one. I am a tad busy at the moment, but please do remind me to find out. I really wonder if this is not happening because of your being foreigner.

I might even call my neighbours "the gendarmes" to have their opinion on the matter.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
One thing that occured to me, is this because the vehicle involved didn't have a spare of the same make/type etc? I know some trailer owners don't carry spares which I think is silly as a spare can easily be fastened to the draw bar, but some MHs don't have them and just have a can of 'gunk' instead ... this is why even when we bought a new MH which didn't have a spare we bought one ourselves so if we had a problem we'd put this on and then just get a replacement for the wheel we'd took off and use that as the spare instead so no issue with what's on the axles. If, however, you don't put your spare on yourself so the garage has to remove the wheel from the axle to replace the tyre and put the wheel back on the axle, and IF this is 'law' in France (which it appears may not be the case), then there's not a lot you can do.

OP
OP
Marvic
Nov 4, 2014
blackpool
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Hello mel. Yes he did take a spare. He has 2 trailers but picked the wrong one up in haste. I myself like you .bought a spare wheel and tyre. For my motorhome. Since posting this thread l appreciate all the reply s:xgrin:

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Quite a few years ago we had a puncture on M25 on way to France. We used the spare and then called at norauto for a new tyre (booked ahead in advance, special moho tyre). Had a bit of hooha at the garage because we only wanted the 1 and when I explained it was for the emergency spare only they were happy to supply. I think as has been said they have to fit same tyres to one axle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back