PERSONAL DIY 'WEIGHBRIDGE'-cum-MH WEIGHING PLATFORM (1 Viewer)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I know that many Funsters don't belong to the C&CC (or have got fed up with it)

BUT.....

In this month's mag', a gizmo caught my eye that, in my naivety, I thought quite useful. In an article entitled, Weighing up the options, there was a 'Weight Pad' that in addition to weighing caravans, also weighed motorhomes. Not sure how this would work, because you can only weigh one wheel at a time! (n)

Made by Reich (of MotorMover fame) the gadget can weigh up to 1,500kg per wheel. It is thin, has a large LCD digital readout and you simply drive on to it. A bit pricey at circa £170 but loose change for an A-Class owner :D The magazine suggested that a few motorhomers could club together to spread the cost if nec'.

I thought them a good idea (if they work) especially if you live in a rural place where a public weighbridge is some distance away, or you just fancy one! Could be quite convenient also if you don't want to load the van up just to go to the weighbridge, or detour there before one's travels.

Be interesting to hear any comments.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Used to own several weighbridges which cost tens of thousands and have to be installed to very high standards.
These things at best are a very rough guide and certanly not accurate.
Also £170.00 pays for a lot of public weighs at a proper certificated weighbridge.
If your vehicle is close to max weight these things aren't accurate enough to keep legal.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I have a Reich scale and it is very good you have to drive over it very slowly and as far as I am able to ascertain accurate.
I know this because I used a weighbridge after using my scales and they were within a few Kilo's so I trust them

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I have four of them, 2x 1000kg units and 2x 1500kg units. I stopped using them on a regular basis when they proved to be outside their quoted 3% accuracy. Only use them to get an idea of weight now as I have a friendly scrap yard nearby who will do quick weighings for me as a "return of favour" scheme.

D.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
They need to be recalibrated every two years mine is going back to have it done costs £40 inc postage.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Local weighbridge to me charges a fiver if I do not want a ticket

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Don't want to upset the apple cart but my local scrapy does not charge me anything :xThumb::xgrin:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I saw that too James. Looks interesting. With weighbridges at £20 per visit (if you get both axles weighed separately) it won't take long to pay back .

Do it here when over. 1€ a time, certified weighbridge, complete with print out. That's the ones on side of road. Or any builders merchant will normally let you weigh for nothing.

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Interesting replies lads. Thanks.

Even as a guide, it's good to know they work!

Stupid question; does one weigh one wheel at a time and then add (say) both front wheel weights then separately, the rears together (if you see what I mean).

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005

Stupid question; does one weigh one wheel at a time and then add (say) both front wheel weights then separately, the rears together (if you see what I mean).
Yes!

EDIT Sorry, I didn't mean it is a stupid question.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011

:xThumb:Yes it's pretty self explanatory it adds up the weights for you but it's nice to know what you have on each wheel and each axle,gives you a chance to move stuff around to even it all out.:xThumb:

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi all
Ordered one of these Reich "Caravan Weight Control" scales on Tuesday, Got it today (Thursday). Good quick service. However, somewhat disappointed. DOA! Here is my email to them...

"Thank you for your prompt despatch of my order.

However, the product failed to power up when the batteries were fitted. The problem lies in a design fault with the battery housing.

The positive connector on the centre battery will not engage with the electrical contact as it is recessed too deeply into the housing.

in order to make contact and allow the unit to power up, I had to remove the plastic sleeve from the positive end of the centre battery to allow it to fit deeper into the housing.

This shortcoming suggests a lack of testing following production.

On the subject of testing, there is no certification supplied with this product. I expected at least an initial calibration certificate. The product is claimed to be accurate to within 3%. Where is the documentation to demonstrate that each individual scale falls within this accuracy? The user manual says the unit should be re-calibrated by the manufacturer every 2 years. There is no initial calibration data. There is no date of manufacture on the product. Is this coded into the serial number on the battery compartment cover? If so, please tell me how to read this.

One last observation, it is not a good idea to mark a piece of measuring equipment with a serial number on a loose part of the equipment like a battery cover. In a production and testing environment, it is possible that these covers can become mixed up and substituted, so losing the individual identity of the equipment and all it’s traceability of calibration history. On measuring equipment especially, serial numbers should be marked on the main body of the equipment and preferably duplicated on electronic circuit boards inside the equipment.

Please tell me how we can address these issues with he manufacturer and provide me with the initial calibration certification. Pleas also re-assure me that you can provide me a solution the the battery holder problem.

Many thanks"

I'll let you know what their response is

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Yes, thanks, got the manual, but no certification. The manual says it shoud be regularly recalibrated every two years.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Nothing to be sorry for.

I bought a set of the Reich scales off fleebay when a cheap set came up and found them very useful for weight distribution when I was re-jigging the interior of our PVC.

Last edited:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I have one which was delivered from the Netherlands a few weeks ago. Only got round to trying it the other day.

Thought it was a useful bit of kit, especially as you can see how the van is loaded side-to-side, as well as back-to-front!

The scales also automatically add the 4 corner weights at each wheel, giving a total weight.

Important to use on level ground to get an accurate result.

Certainly convenient to use at home. (y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have one , works fine, don't understand the battery problem

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Inaccuracy might be caused because the wheel being weighed is higher (by the thickness of the scales) than the rest. The higher the van the more it matters as the CofG shifts. Might be worth checking by using a few pieces of board.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
IMG_0636.JPG
Battery case on mine

Nov 9, 2015
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MC-I B 580
Exp
Since 2005
Do not use my one now as I have twin (not tandem) rear wheels on current mh. I found the unit to be within a few kg of weigh bridge reading so was happy to rely on it figure. What I did find difficult was going up onto the unit slowly and holding it there for the weigh figure to be taken. This was with a comfortmatic gearbox. Got so fed up with the hare symbol coming up on the display I made up a wood surround so the wheel was lifted to the unit height and then just gently rolled onto it.
Wish I could find a reasonable cost weigh bridge in my area ( Hampshire/Surrey) they all want to charge more than £20 per weigh meaning two charges if you want each axle.

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
good shot of battery case. the middle battery on mine has the metal contact that the little "tit" on the +ve end of the battery touches is too deep and the battery will not connect unless you use a knife and take off the plastic that is wrapped around and over the end of the battery to allow it to go in deeper. std Duracell AAA. Even now, it sometimes disconnects, so it is only just touching. I think you can see how the end of the + side of the middle battery on chaser's picture is sitting against the side of the battery case.

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Latest from Obelink (the supplier)

Despite my offer to fix the problem on this unit by bending the offending contact, they insisted on collecting it for inspection. they sent a courier (DPD) to collect it. I asked that the courier bring a replacement as I am trying to prepare for a trip. No replacement arrived. A few days later I got an email saying that the unit works properly (I disputed this) and the accountant has issued a refund.

I replied immediately saying no, I need my unit back, or a replacement. Also, did they intend answering my questions about calibration certificate etc.

They said too late, order a new one if you want another. I reminded them that the unit returned was my property and they had no right to rush to a refund without discussing it with me. Also, what about my other questions? I asked for contact details for their Customer Service Director or equivalent senior manager. The response was...

"We have discussed your case and have decided to directly refund your money, because your questions where product related.

We have not any influence on the way our producer makes the products. So if you have questions about the Reich Caravan Weight. We recommend to contact the producer Reich. We are sorry we not could help you to answer all of your questions."

So, no contact information supplied. No link supplied for Reich who make the unit. Now I have to wait for my refund to appear in my account and re-order and wait for a new one.

Maybe I am being a bid Victor Meldrew-ish but I expected more.

Anyone got one they don't use that they want to sell?

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Aside from them having answers regarding the calibration and labelling of the serial numbers I think they have handled the main issue of faulty goods very well.
They have collected the scale and refunded your money so now you are in a position to both decide (now you have had the product and tested it) if it is worth the money and also if you re buy, your guarantee will start again.
Aside from the faulty battery connection on your unit, would you recommend buying one?

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Yes, I would guardedly recommend the unit and Obelink are the cheapest supplier. How do you know, though if it came off the production line calibrated properly? Reich say it is important to have it calibrated every two years. calibration is either important or it is not, so where is the initial calibration data?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back