Disaster towing Smart car (2 Viewers)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We towed our smart on A-frame down from the Tunnel to an intermediate stop in south Belgium. (place called Ave-et-Auffe try saying it:roflmto:)

On arrival would not start. Problem is clutch has 'exploded' taking the gearbox and starter motor with it. It is now in our local garage but probably be beyond economic repair.

The only theory that has been advanced is that somehow it put itself into gear while being towed although ignition was off and the key removed.

I suppose may be feasible given that clutch and gearbox are electrically controlled .

Upshot is that we are now without our toad.:cry:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
No toad!!

Blimey, that's a bummer :whatthe:. I'd knew that there were some cars that couldn't be towed, but I hadn't heard the Smart was one of them.

Are you covered by insurance?

Pat'll be be upset for you when I tell her.

Sympathies for the probable loss.:Sad:

John
As an aside...
Do you plan on doing Malvern? We've signed up for it.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Really sorry to hear that. Is it possible to leave the car in gear when you turn off the ignition and take out the keys, or do Smarts automatically shift to neutral when turned off??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
A Smart should never, ever be towed with the key out and ignition off - the manual warns about this too I think, and there are lots of threads on the subject all over the web. Needs to be in Neutral with key in ignition, or else you will blow up the transmission . It isn't a "true" automatic, but nonetheless the transmission overheats badly when towed in gear and blows up eventually:Eeek::Eeek:

You can't remove the key and tow in neutral, but lots of people have a plain key made without a fob so the car can't be easily stolen when towing like this.

So sorry to hear about the demise of your Smart:cry: you live and learn, I guess, do you take it to a dealership or an independent? We use a good independent for ours -it may be viable to fix from an accident-damaged one, so please PM me if interested and I'll give you the details of the indy we use.

itexuk

Free Member
Apr 3, 2008
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat x250
Exp
YES You can tow a Smart Car.
I have towed mine for thousands of miles without any problems. What you MUST do is make sure it is in neutral as you can get a FALSE neutral and it is still in gear.
What I do once the A Frame is connected to Motorhome is:
put gear leaver in neutral
check that the gear selection symbol on the dash is on N
If not, put foot on foot brake and move gear selector to Neutral again
Once you have the N symbol on the dash start engine to make sure it is in neutral ( Wont start if not in neutral.)
Turn off and take the key OUT as this locks the gear selector in Neutral
Make sure hand brake is off and do not lock the doors otherwise the alarm will go off when towing.
It is also worth checking the level of engine oil before you tow on an A Frame.

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
It's particularly important to make sure that the 'N' on the speedo panel is evident. With my Smart, at least, if I forget to move the selector to neutral before stopping the engine, and move it into neutral afterwards so that I can remove the key, the gearbox actually in 1st gear.

There are often major components for sale on this forum:

http://www.smartz.co.uk/

Good luck in getting it sorted out.

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
i'd deffo agree, you prolly had it in gear without realising unfortunately,

i dont a-frame my smart yet, but i have noticed loads of times that when i get back in the car and try to start it, it wont, as it wasnt in neuteral, when i was certian i shifted to neuteral with my foot on the brakes before i turned the engine off.

even if the ignition was on and the box not in neuteral, once the road speed reaches 14kmh the clutch wil engage, this is how you can bump start a smart, the official way is to hold the gear lever forwards, it then goes into 2nd, but without it held forwards, it'll go into 1st, but still let the clutch up once it's rolling faster than 14kmh.

The uk smart manual warns against flat towing, the usual 30mph 30 miles thing that all modern cars get,
but the american smart has an A-frame as an option from the dealers, with the lights wired up to a socket on the front panel etc,

they are the same car, but slightly different software for the gearbox... the american smarts have a programmed 'auto' creap, with an auto box the torque converter will make the car move forwardsvery slowly at tickover, the smart being a manual box electricaly operated dosent, so they program the clutch to engage and slip a bit when the brakes are off at idle!!!

the american box also has a park position, as they dont see the handbrake as a parking brake, to them it's an emergancy brake never to be touched unless the service brake has failed,
when parking they shift the gear lever into park which locks the gearbox, i believe the park feature on the american smarts just puts it into reverse gear and lets the clutch up... same as how we can do it, but we need to pull the stick back into reverse, then you can take the key out and it's locked in gear... which is the equivelent of the steering lock on the smart.

anyway, hope you get your smart fixed for not too much cash, there are plenty of indipendant smart garages about who will be able to get second hand parts much cheaper than smart who will only use new.

Shore-is-Good

Free Member
Aug 26, 2008
Somewhere warm
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
This is what I dislike about forums. You get 'Camcondors' and his like espousing their personal (or received) opinion, totally without merit, probably never touched a Smart car much less towed one...and their word becomes Urban Legend for ever and a day!
Quite evidently, many, many people tow Smart cars, me included, and can therefore speak from ACTUAL experience. YES, indeed, they CAN be happily towed for thousands of miles and then driven under their own steam without any ill effects from the towing. Jeeze!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
This is what I dislike about forums. You get 'Camcondors' and his like espousing their personal (or received) opinion, totally without merit, probably never touched a Smart car much less towed one.

You are quite right as a generalisation but in this instance can you fault the facts stated ?

It seems you indulge in the other great problem with forums, folk who reply to a message without reading it properly.

It all adds to the fun.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
This is what I dislike about forums. You get 'Camcondors' and his like espousing their personal (or received) opinion, totally without merit, probably never touched a Smart car much less towed one...and their word becomes Urban Legend for ever and a day!
Quite evidently, many, many people tow Smart cars, me included, and can therefore speak from ACTUAL experience. YES, indeed, they CAN be happily towed for thousands of miles and then driven under their own steam without any ill effects from the towing. Jeeze!

The verification of information is always a problem anywhere on the Internet and there is no answer to this dilemma.

One person says something and another person says something quite contradictory - who's right?

The fact that one person says he/she has towed many thousands of miles with their Smart car means nothing as we have no idea whether that fact is true or not.

The only solution is to follow information of posters with a known reputation or to follow the advice given by a large number of posters.

Having said that I have found the answer to many of my problems on this and other forums - just be a little cautious before accepting advice especially if it make cost you a packet if it is wrong.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
You get 'Camcondors' and his like espousing their personal (or received) opinion, totally without merit, probably never touched a Smart car much less towed one...and their word becomes Urban Legend for ever and a day!

I think she is most likely to come back and rebut your assumption .. if you read the post correctly she didn't say it can't be towed .. but there seems to be a difference of opinion on how it should be done without damaging the transmission.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
And from what I know of her she has most defiantly got and towed a Smart, and her research will be quoted almost verbatim, from official resources you picked a wrong un there mate:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
And from what I know of her she has most defiantly got and towed a Smart, and her research will be quoted almost verbatim, from official resources you picked a wrong un there mate:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo::bigsmile:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: been there, got the whip marks to prove it .. :roflmto::roflmto:

DJP

Free Member
Nov 4, 2008
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
Exp
A Smart should never, ever be towed with the key out and ignition off - the manual warns about this too I think, and there are lots of threads on the subject all over the web. Needs to be in Neutral with key in ignition, or else you will blow up the transmission . It isn't a "true" automatic, but nonetheless the transmission overheats badly when towed in gear and blows up eventually:Eeek::Eeek:

Prey tell, what difference does the key in the ignition make?
It may add to the trailer weight, but after that I cannot thnk of any reason why it should make the slightest difference.
Just make sure if you do take notice of this confusing advice, make sure the ignition is NOT switched ON or damage WILL be caused, not to the gearbox but to the electronics.

An ex Smart owner with over 10000 miles towing experience all over Europe without any problems. Some towing covered over 300 miles almost none stop in a single day at motorway speeds. No sign of any overheating.:RollEyes:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
cant speak for a smart, but having towed a frames for over 30yrs i would always leave the key in the ignition on any vehicle . if you take the key out most cars the steering lock comes on . always switch on lose the steering lock then switch off leave key in ign. maybe the smart doesnt have a steering lock .

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class

Pity that "Shore-is-Goods" and their like can't read then - maybe you'd like forums better if you did...:ROFLMAO:
I did NOT say a Smart cannot be towed - of course it can - I have towed ours for 1000s of miles without incident. Can't see much merit in your opinion as it seems to be based on a very inane intrerpretation of a perfectly clear response.....:Eeek:

Actually, we have owned a Smart for years, so that knackers the senseless (and untruthful) allegation about me never having owned or towed one one, now, doesn't it? :RollEyes::Eeek:

The Smart has a software operated transmission, not a true auto box as I understand it, and has to be in Neutral for it to be towed without damage to the transmission etc. , so to those who claim that the key should be out the ignition.....by all means do that to your own Smart, but the risk of damage is high. All the Smarts I have ever seen have to have the key in the ignition turned to the first position, in order for the car to be towed in Neutral. It means the car has to be towed unlocked if used in this way, but you can always lock it for security when stopping somewhere. You will NOT DAMAGE the "electronics" as someone else has claimed, if the car is towed in this way, prey be told....:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

When forums get very big and successful, there is inevitably an influx of know-it-alls who don't or can't read posts properly before spouting off ..........:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class

Prey tell, what difference does the key in the ignition make?
It may add to the trailer weight, but after that I cannot thnk of any reason why it should make the slightest difference.
Just make sure if you do take notice of this confusing advice, make sure the ignition is NOT switched ON or damage WILL be caused, not to the gearbox but to the electronics.

An ex Smart owner with over 10000 miles towing experience all over Europe without any problems. Some towing covered over 300 miles almost none stop in a single day at motorway speeds. No sign of any overheating.:RollEyes:

Prey be told then, that I and thousands of other Smart owners CAN think of a very good reason to travel with the key IN THE IGNITION, TURNED TO THE FIRST POSITION, CAR IN NEUTRAL when towing, as this is the safe way to tow a Smart without damage according to the Smart forums, the Smart independent garages I have spoken to, and to Towtal, who fitted our, and many 100s of other, A Frames to Smart Cars. There will be NO "ELECTRONIC" damage to the car if towed in this manner. :RollEyes::RollEyes:

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
ah!

cant speak for a smart, but having towed a frames for over 30yrs i would always leave the key in the ignition on any vehicle . if you take the key out most cars the steering lock comes on . always switch on lose the steering lock then switch off leave key in ign. maybe the smart doesnt have a steering lock .

Ah! Now that does make sense! I will pass that onto my dad as he is just about to buy an A-frame but will be towing a Toyota so will make sure he does lots of research on that particular car too, before he tows it.:thumb:

Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
Pity that "Shore-is-Goods" and their like can't read then - maybe you'd like forums better if you did...:ROFLMAO:
I did NOT say a Smart cannot be towed - of course it can - I have towed ours for 1000s of miles without incident. Can't see much merit in your opinion as it seems to be based on a very inane intrerpretation of a perfectly clear response.....:Eeek:

Actually, we have owned a Smart for years, so that knackers the senseless (and untruthful) allegation about me never having owned or towed one one, now, doesn't it? :RollEyes::Eeek:

The Smart has a software operated transmission, not a true auto box as I understand it, and has to be in Neutral for it to be towed without damage to the transmission etc. , so to those who claim that the key should be out the ignition.....by all means do that to your own Smart, but the risk of damage is high. All the Smarts I have ever seen have to have the key in the ignition turned to the first position, in order for the car to be towed in Neutral. It means the car has to be towed unlocked if used in this way, but you can always lock it for security when stopping somewhere. You will NOT DAMAGE the "electronics" as someone else has claimed, if the car is towed in this way, prey be told....:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

When forums get very big and successful, there is inevitably an influx of know-it-alls who don't or can't read posts properly before spouting off ..........:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hi to you all, There seems to be quite a lot of confusion on what you can and cant do when towing the Smart. I have read ALL the posts regarding this issue before deciding to put in my two pennys worth.

Firstly I would like to say I have been towing Smart Cars since 1996. The first being a DAFFODIL YELLOW PULSE ( which my better half nick-named BUMBLE BEE ) " GREY "import (LHD) before Merc decided that they would advertise the car in the UK.This was followed by a RHD in 2002, which I still have.

As long as you ensure that the Gear Selector is set in Nuetral and the corresponding display in the speedo is also on N then you can safely turn off the ignition and remove the key, for those who haven't relised yet , the key is set in the transmission tunnel in the floor not on the steering. Finnaly ensure the handbrake is off and attach the bungy to the Brake pedal, close door and lock.

As the key is out of the ignition NO electronic parts of the gearbox are in operation, everything is in freewheel motion, which has the added advantage that the speedo is also OFF.

I do remember Smart void any warranty in the early years because certain people forgot to check the electronics were in neutral when turning off the ignition so there gearboxes were in gear, so did blow up. But like anything if you take care when setting up you shouldn't get any problems.

I feel sorry for the gentleman whose Smarty did blow up ,especialy as he wont be covered under warranty,

I hope this helps

Brian

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Hi to you all, There seems to be quite a lot of confusion on what you can and cant do when towing the Smart. I have read ALL the posts regarding this issue before deciding to put in my two pennys worth.

Firstly I would like to say I have been towing Smart Cars since 1996. The first being a DAFFODIL YELLOW PULSE ( which my better half nick-named BUMBLE BEE ) " GREY "import (LHD) before Merc decided that they would advertise the car in the UK.This was followed by a RHD in 2002, which I still have.

As long as you ensure that the Gear Selector is set in Nuetral and the corresponding display in the speedo is also on N then you can safely turn off the ignition and remove the key, for those who haven't relised yet , the key is set in the transmission tunnel in the floor not on the steering. Finnaly ensure the handbrake is off and attach the bungy to the Brake pedal, close door and lock.

As the key is out of the ignition NO electronic parts of the gearbox are in operation, everything is in freewheel motion, which has the added advantage that the speedo is also OFF.

I do remember Smart void any warranty in the early years because certain people forgot to check the electronics were in neutral when turning off the ignition so there gearboxes were in gear, so did blow up. But like anything if you take care when setting up you shouldn't get any problems.

I feel sorry for the gentleman whose Smarty did blow up ,especialy as he wont be covered under warranty,

I hope this helps

Brian

The definitive answer then, is still a matter of personal choice. I follow the advice gleaned from our Smart independent, A frame manufacturer and loads of info on Smart forums etc. and which I find works for me. Mercedes are clear that Smarts should NOT be towed and that doing so will void the warranty, but 1000s of Smart owners tow them uneventfully all the time, including ourselves - We bought our Smart in 2004 and have towed her since then the way I described above. A matter of personal choice then. :Eeek:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I know nothing about Smart cars, and have only just realised that some of them could be over 10 years old, and therefore thought that if yours is and that the repairs are beyond economic repair you may want to look at the Government's scrappage scheme as it may help to offset some of the financial loss

hope that helps.

We towed our smart on A-frame down from the Tunnel to an intermediate stop in south Belgium. (place called Ave-et-Auffe try saying it:roflmto:)

On arrival would not start. Problem is clutch has 'exploded' taking the gearbox and starter motor with it. It is now in our local garage but probably be beyond economic repair.

The only theory that has been advanced is that somehow it put itself into gear while being towed although ignition was off and the key removed.

I suppose may be feasible given that clutch and gearbox are electrically controlled .

Upshot is that we are now without our toad.:cry:

itexuk

Free Member
Apr 3, 2008
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat x250
Exp
The definitive answer then, is still a matter of personal choice. I follow the advice gleaned from our Smart independent, A frame manufacturer and loads of info on Smart forums etc. and which I find works for me. Mercedes are clear that Smarts should NOT be towed and that doing so will void the warranty, but 1000s of Smart owners tow them uneventfully all the time, including ourselves - We bought our Smart in 2004 and have towed her since then the way I described above. A matter of personal choice then. :Eeek:

Key in / out, yes it is a personal choice. I always take mine out as this locks the gear selector in neutral. With the key in it is not locked and you never know what can happen but the choice is yours. What you MUST do before you tow is check that the dash pod is showing N.
I never lock the doors with the fob as this sets the alarm which can go off as you tow. Not sure how you can lock it with out setting the alarm ???? as doors do not have key holes.

cliff

Free Member
May 29, 2009
Funster No
Cars to tow

I looked at cars suitable for towing with my m/home. The car I chose was a Diahatsui Charade , manual g/box I paid £3.3K for my 96 1 owner 30,000 mile 5 door , weight 740kgs (Smart 720) £20 road tax ,4 seats, 56 mpg the + is it has Air Con:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I paid £3.3K for my 96 1 owner 30,000 mile 5 door , weight 740kgs (Smart 720) £20 road tax ,4 seats, 56 mpg the + is it has Air Con:thumb:

Hi

96 ? .. you meant 2006 ?

Jim

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I looked at cars suitable for towing with my m/home. The car I chose was a Diahatsui Charade , manual g/box I paid £3.3K for my 96 1 owner 30,000 mile 5 door , weight 740kgs (Smart 720) £20 road tax ,4 seats, 56 mpg the + is it has Air Con:thumb:

ahha, i chose a smart fortwo cdi, manual gearbox but electronicaly controlled (i can let it chang it's self, of pus or pull the stick to change up and down, or use the paddles on the steering wheel like micheal shooooomacher :)
mine weighs a little more due to being a diesel, but i pay zero road tax, 2 seats plus plenty of room for the dog which is all we need, can park it anywhere, and with 2100 miles on the clock am getting 69mpg,
oh and it has climate controlled air-con, an electric booster heater for freezing mornings before the engine warms up :Tongue1::Smile:

but i waited 4 years for the RHD diesel smarts to be released, so no ones going to diss my little smartie :roflmto:

anyhoo, mine being the new model, i was told by the people at indipendant smart garages and someone who workes for an official smart garage in the workshop.. but told unofficialy, that my smart at least when i a-frame tow it, make tripply sure it's in neuteral.... engine off, foot on brake, key to position 1, put lever to drive, watch display move to A, then put it back to N, you should hear the motor move the gear selector,
make sure the N isnt flashing or owt, indicating the gearbox teeth arent meshed so it cant select a gear properly, if that heppens start engine and turn off just to move the teeth a bit,

once your sure it's in N, turn ignition off, ensure handbrake is off, lock doors and tow away,

with the new smarts they have that hill start brake assist thingy, where the brakes stay held on for a second if using the foot brake, this is to give you time to get your foot off the brake pedal and over to the accelerator, when you accelerate they release, or they will release 1 second after releasing the brake pedal if your slow or dont want to accelerate,

so if the ignition was left on, every time you braked the motorhome, it'd pull on the brake pedal of the smart, when you pull off the brakes on the smart would be on for a second, and you'd end up dragging the smart a bit,

for now i'm using a trailer, when the warrenty runs out i'll be seeing about an A-frame, not made a trip with the trailer yet... pickering show will be the first, but i can see a bit of hassle.. 3 items on a pitch, having to secure the trailer when away and all that,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back