UK Aires a Must (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
After years of trying to convince the authorities to allow French Style Aires in the UK I think the time has come to push much harder.
We now have a situation with touring the UK that booking sites has to be done months in advance and we are dictated to by the big two clubs, not to mention being ripped off on a daily basis with fees and internet access.
Is anyone aware of action groups who are trying to create Aires? If so let's ALL join in a give as much support for them as we voice on the websites.
I look forward to replies and ACTION.
Wiljoy:thumb:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Copy of a recent email I sent my local council.

Dear Sir,

I, like thousands of other, own a touring motorhome and love touring in the United Kingdom.

Recently I have just returned from a month's holiday in France. I discovered that almost every
town and village throughout the country have an area specifically set aside for motorhomes to
park up for 24-48 hours. Some provide fresh water and facilities to deposit waste water and chemical
toilet contents. Some charge, others are totally free.

In return the touring visitors shop locally visit local attractions and add to the local economy in other ways.

It would seem a good idea with Havant being placed in the unique positon of being close to many of the
south coast's attractions to maybe imitate what our French cousins have been doing for many years.

The motorhoming visitors would bring in much needed extra business to the Havant business community
for a very small outlay on the behalf of Havant council.

I ask you to consider this proposal and maybe set a ground breaking example to other local councils
throughout the country.

Yours sincerely John Dray.

If we all did the same we might start to get our local councillors to start thinking in the right direction.

I did get a positive reply back to the effect that motorhome parking was being considered as part of the Hayling Island seafront refurbishment. Fingers crossed.:RollEyes:

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
To be fair, both the CCC and CC allow, for the best part, non members to use their sites, and if staying for more than a week or so, your fees, including the cost of a membership bought on site, may well be cheaper than if you had not joined.

I've been touring UK and Europe for many years now, so I feel that I'm able to comment on site availability, both in the UK and abroad, and it seems to me that it is no more difficult to find a space on a UK site than it is on the continent. I have often travelled many, many miles on the continent, only to find a site full, and had to move on - this is particularly annoying in France and Italy, where a lot of site offices close for several hours after mid-day, meaning it's often early evening before you discover a site is full, leaving it rather late to find an alternative.

Sites at popular destinations both in the UK and EU are often full, as are other sites near them, and I can honestly say, that I haven't found this situation any more prevalent in the uk, indeed, UK sites tend to be less busy IMO, than those elsewher, and it's often possible to arrive really late, and still find a warden, or office open.

However, I still applaud your attempt to further the cause of UK 'Aires', and will help and support in any way I can.

Good luck!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi
I think this is a great idea maybe we should get Edwina Currie to fight our corner as im sure she has bought a motorhome also im sure there must be some big business leaders that have motorhomes as im sure the Tesco chairman has one so if we could get people like that on our side it could only be good.

I have been told that a village outside Dumfries called Glencaple they are retarring the parking area around the toilets and will be allowing mh to stay not had it confirmed just one of the locals told me.

Gerry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I think the time has come to push much harder.
Wiljoy:thumb:

How hard can you push ?

There are holes in the road you can lose a MH in. Councils are laying people off because they can't pay the wages. We can't afford the rates. In fact council bosses are going to have to take only 1 million in pension funds.

No chance I would say.

But I applaud your idea.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Spacerunner has the right idea. It is positive approaches, pointing out the economic benefits, which will encourage councils to provide facilities. It doesn't need to cost them all that much and can sometimes be rolled in with other works.

If anyone wants more template letters please feel free to use the ones on my web site Here.

Graham

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The 'cause' needs a champion.. a high profile political or show biz personality who are keen motorhomers.

BBC Radio Two DJ Johnny Walker is a motorhome owner, there must be others who would champion the cause.. we need a 'Joanna Lumley '

We know the CC has an MP on it's payroll .. so why not an MP who would support a network of aires ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
y heart still bleeds for the motorcaravans needlessly destroyed in last years 'motorcaravan stock car race':Angry:

Actually I enjoyed it as a scientific program. Every MNer should see it to ensure that they drive more defensively. I was also pleased to see that they did not roll when I fully expected them to.

I keep asking myself why I keep watching TG, a program devoted to those who think with their penises. I think it's the star.... that pulls me.

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
The 'cause' needs a champion.. a high profile political or show biz personality who are keen motorhomers.

BBC Radio Two DJ Johnny Walker is a motorhome owner, there must be others who would champion the cause.. we need a 'Joanna Lumley '

We know the CC has an MP on it's payroll .. so why not an MP who would support a network of aires ?

Totally agree Jim :thumb:

I believe JayKay (Jamiroquai) and Robert Lindsay (Citizen Smith, Hornblower & My Family) have Knaus's.

Maybe we should be encouraging them and Johnny Walker to join FUN!:thumb: (Can you imagine a meet with Johnny Walker - that'd be a laugh!!!::bigsmile:)

Anyone fancy co-ordinating it?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ps:- maybe if everyone tackled their local Euro MP on the basis of getting us in line with the rest of Europe???? :winky:

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
As for trying to get a form of Aires in England, anywhere, DITTO count me in, where do I sign!! I suppose eventually they (The Councils) may cave in!!

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Totally agree with all the above,especially about TG. A powerful figurehead would pull more weight for our cause.
Lucille

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
If we had aires built in UK----------they would have height barriers to stop gypsies staying on them---------they could not be banned, it would breach their human rights !!!
BTW do you have to be a gypsy to be allowed to use the travellers sites ??? I have seen some nearly empty ones, maybe we could take one over !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (anyone got a tarmac truck):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Top Gear is a comedy show -----------as such I think it's great
Nigel & Pamala

Last edited:
B

bq125rex

Deleted User
motorhome aires

check out my messages in motorhomeliving from chris chair the motorhome association

B

bq125rex

Deleted User
the motorhome association has been campaigning for 7 years plus for aires in northern ireland we have 3 now with a further 1 gone to council for planning and a further three planned for the strangford ards area. We have conducted a seminar for motorhome tourism in both the north and south of ireland and held meetings with MLA`s and both northern ireland tourist board bord failte and the deti ni. We have briefed councillors and politicians and other interested partys and put together a list of comercial pubs clubs and others who allow overnight parking so We have broken the nut and are moving on in a positive vein.The problem with lobbyists is that they moan and do not lobby.My wife although disabled has sunk her teeth into this and refused to be put off by lack of support .Abig thanks and congratulations to her The motorhome association can be contacted at b.quinn996@btinternet.com regards Brian and Chris

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
The question has been put to Johnnie Walker, we await a reply.
How about others making contact with others?

From a press release
"Motorhoming is the coolest of cool leisure pursuits right now, with celebrities like Robbie Williams, Gail Porter and Jamiroquai singer, Jay Kay, pushing motor caravans up the popularity charts"

We must have more celebrities that use them as well, maybe a group contribution from them?

Steve

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
I have regular meetings with Johnny Walker. whispers to me like a genie in the bottle, especially when wearing a black label :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back