apple macbook pro buying advice please. (1 Viewer)

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Hi have a macbook which I bought in april last year. All okay but recently (and foolishly) I amalgamated my iPhoto and Photo programmes which has caused something to go wrong. Always travelling I don't get super fast connections, plus find it difficult to get to Apple Stores, so thinking of getting another so I am never without when on the move. Mine is a 15" (which I bought after my 17" microsoft) but to be honest I would have managed easily with a 13" plus it would be lighter for me when constantly packing and unpacking it on the move.

Now.... the question is..... knowing Apple's inability to be upgraded I want to future-proof this new machine. My current model has i7 4 core, the 13" I am looking at have either i5 or i7 but both appear to be dual core.

From the question it looks as though I know what I am talking about, but my grasp of the subject is pretty tenuous. Any apple aficionados out there who understand and can give advice.

Currently I use it a lot to manipulate photographs, and if I could ever get to grips with iMovie would do the same with shortish video clips. Plus I do relish the ability of the machine to process quickly. .......... Anyone ? :) :) :)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@scotjimland might be along in a minute? he is well up on the 'pro' macs (y)

I am still hanging on in there with my 2011 MacbookAir 13" :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
If you can make an appointment at an Apple Store for the Genius bar and take your machine in they will help you with the photo problem. They're absolutely brilliant. Not sure why you want to buy a new machine but they can help with advice about future proofing too.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Sounds like an expensive fix to a "simple" problem.
If you can't get to an Apple Store, have you tried calling Apple ?
Or uninstall / reinstall the programmes that have gone fubar ?

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
The reason for buying a new machine is that I find it next to impossible to get to an Apple store even when in UK let along in France (especially speaking no French)

My only transport is my motorhome 10m x 2.5 x 3.65 high - meaning no access to most city centre carpark. Plus if I do park and ride I can't get my mobility scooter on so it means a long slow painful walk for me carrying the mac book.

So if it has to be sent back I will have a machine to use whilst it is gone.

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Ps Have phoned Apple Support several times - problem initially arose as they suggested amalgamating the two libraries. Searching on internet now it seems that others have had problems after amalgamation.

Have just come off phone to them again and will try something else. To cap it all my external hard drive just this morning informed me that it will not do further back ups. :(

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
@scotjimland might be along in a minute? he is well up on the 'pro' macs (y)

I have one but wouldn't say I was well up on them..

At present have a Macbook Pro 13" Retina Display, i5 2.6GHz , 16GB memory 256 GB flash storage..

I bought it to replace my old 17" Powerbook G4 .. purchased in 2005 .. it had done sterling service.

I also have a Dell laptop with an i7 processor and it has overheating problems.. never got it resolved, been back to Dell twice.. apparently a common problem with the i7 processor in laptops, that may have been resolved by Apple, but I was mindful of this when I bought the Mac..

I put the money into memory rather than processor..

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
I have a 13" Macbook Pro, i5 processor (2.9GHz), Retina display, 8GB RAM, 500GB Flash Hard Drive.

It's fast - bloomin fast! I don't power off very often but when I do it powers up and is ready to use in under 10 seconds. Wake up from sleep mode is almost instant.

Image quality is excellent. Processing of images, movies, searching, everything, is just quick and smooth.

It's my 3rd MacBook although the first one that I haven't covered with a protective case, it's just too nice to hide ;)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
At present have a Macbook Pro 13" Retina Display, i5 2.6GHz , 16GB memory 256 GB flash storage..

I put the money into memory rather than processor..

That's kinda what I meant ............. 16GB is a massive amount of memory, ideal for intensive photo processing I would have thought (I only have 4GB:()

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I would have thought the i5 processor would be ample for all but serious power users. Having just done a bit of reading up, I see it is no longer possible to add memory after purchase as it's soldered to the mother board. Bit of a b*gg*r but I guess it's Apple's cunning plan to make you pay a premium for memory when purchasing. (I upgraded my almost 9 year-old MBP a few years back with extra Crucial Memory. It's still going strong.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
There its one basic rule - always buy the top spec on Apple kit - you get the value back with the shelf life. My last MacBook Pro was a 2009 15 inch and 6 years later is still a great machine. I have more recently dropped to a 13 inch MacBook Pro with retina screen - lighter and easier to carry and much better value for money than the Air. So get the top processor and upgrade the ram and it will last you many years.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I am still hanging on in there with my 2011 MacbookAir 13" :D

When I said that, I meant it :eek: My MacbookAir is showing signs of dying recently :( The CPU starts to get really hot (and the SSD) then the (always quiet) fan kicks in for a cool down. I have checked the hardware with apples on line checker and there does appear to be a fault :(

I am not running anything that is CPU intensive, just 'Chrome' or 'Safari' ........... :confused:

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
This is my current machine - and what I don't want (if I am forced to buy another) is to find that my new model is no better - or perhaps not as good as - my current one. As I say I am looking to future proof.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 16 GB

So back to my original question - which was - do you think a 2013 i7 four core is faster than a 2015 i5 dual core, bearing in mind I will have the same spec other than that the processor speed will be 2.9 rather than 2.3, and if anyone can answer give yourselves a pat on the back as I have been asking apple the same question for a couple of days and getting only fudged answers.

:)

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Ps Have phoned Apple Support several times - problem initially arose as they suggested amalgamating the two libraries. Searching on internet now it seems that others have had problems after amalgamation.

Have just come off phone to them again and will try something else. To cap it all my external hard drive just this morning informed me that it will not do further back ups. :(
Is this thread any use to you:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6926329?start=0&tstart=0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
When I said that, I meant it :eek: My MacbookAir is showing signs of dying recently :( The CPU starts to get really hot (and the SSD) then the (always quiet) fan kicks in for a cool down. I have checked the hardware with apples on line checker and there does appear to be a fault :(

I am not running anything that is CPU intensive, just 'Chrome' or 'Safari' ........... :confused:

You may very well have checked this (if it is possible on a Mac) but it's not just muck \ fluff \ etc clogging up the cpu \ case fans? Nephew had similar problem with laptop (Windows). I took it apart and cleaned the fan and it's now back working fine. Having said that he was sitting it on his knee and blocking the ventilation slots a bit!
:xdoh:

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Many thanks - yes I have discovered that my macbook has created another library, and though I can access it now there is an ongoing problem when I try to access the second library (containing all the photos) to use them for uploading etc. I could of course delete the original library, but without an external hard-drive available to back up before performing this operation I am, as you might imagine, pretty nervous.

But many thanks to everyone for your help on this. I posted as I know there are some Mac Book users on here and thought they may be able to help (which you did)

But I have had an idea - and instead of phoning Apple yet again I will try emailing them with the question. :) It will give them time to find someone who can answer and I will have time to read the answer at my leisure. :)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
You may very well have checked this (if it is possible on a Mac) but it's not just muck \ fluff \ etc clogging up the cpu \ case fans? Nephew had similar problem with laptop (Windows). I took it apart and cleaned the fan and it's now back working fine. Having said that he was sitting it on his knee and blocking the ventilation slots a bit!
:xdoh:
Thanks Gellyneck, it is not very easy or practical to open up a Mac :( so not for me.....

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
One of the reasons, along with lack of upgrade capability at the price, that puts me off Apple kit

I've never had the need to upgrade any Mac laptop.. buy the right spec for the job, and it lasts for years.. my first iBook, bought in 2001 I passed it on to my son.. .. the present Macbook won't ever need upgrading....

I doubt many Windows laptops get upgraded.. they usually die before they get that old..

I appreciate Macs cost a lot more.. and it's sometimes hard to justify.. it's a bit like buying an expensive car or motorhome, when a cheap one would do the same job.. but with less style..

Last edited:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I've never had the need to upgrade any Mac laptop.. buy the right spec for the job, and it lasts for years.. my first iBook, bought in 2001 I passed it on to my son.. .. the present Macbook won't ever need upgrading....

I doubt many Windows laptops get upgraded.. they usually die before they get that old..

I appreciate Macs cost a lot more.. and it's sometimes hard to justify.. it's a bit like buying an expensive car or motorhome, when a cheap one would do the same job.. but with less style..

Same for a Windows laptop if you buy the appropriate model. Sitting typing this on an Acer TravelMate bought around 2006\7. Memory upgraded from original 2Mb to 4Mb then 8Mb. Cost of the 8Mb sticks when upgraded were around a quarter of the original price. Replaced memory then installed in other kit.
Still got a Compaq laptop that originally had Win 2k on it and upgraded both the memory and replaced the cd drive with a dvd drive. Don't use it now right enough.
Got a few others kicking about with oldest being a working Compaq from around 1992\3ish.
Being honest I prefer functionality over style so looks don't necessarily concern me.
And before the Apple gang jump on my head (and not pointing at you Jim!;)) don't have anything against them, son has one, but just couldn't really get on with one I tried out for a couple of months.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Can't answer your question I'm afraid, I have thought seriously about changing the office machines to Apple as we replace these about every three years, we have a total of twenty computers working in the classrooms all dell and up to eight years old and still going strong, I have one dell back up computer and projector dating back to 1997 still works film for that purpose, last upgrade of office machines included a new server and we were sold Fujitsu never let us down (yet) but they are so flimsy I expect them to break every time I open the lid.

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Well - although no one could actually answer my question you have all been very helpful

I only bought my first mac book about 18 months ago. And having been a microsoft user for years was used to my machines bagging out after 18mths or so and having to be replace or sent for a major overhaul to an expert.

But it looks like Apple (I hope) doesnt suffer in that sort of way. So instead of buying another mac book as a backup and future replacement I have sent off for some new 1TB storage. When that arrived I will do a full back up , and also try to get all the photos in one place. Using apple phone support to help

Many thanks everyone - and hopefully I will get it sorted.

By a convoluted means I got photos from here there and everywhere on my system and made this last night

I know I am not in the Auvergne, but its only just next door, and I have always loved Songs of the Auvergne, so I hope you enjoy the music as much as the photos - looks better in full screen mode

https

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I know I am not in the Auvergne, but its only just next door, and I have always loved Songs of the Auvergne, so I hope you enjoy the music as much as the photos - looks better in full screen mode

nice pictures, and know it well.. as will most who have visited Parc Verger

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Macbooks while expensive initially, do return great value for money eventually. I have 3 MacbookPros in the family; a 2008, 20011 and 2014 model. All of them work every day with rarely a hitch. Though I did have a problem with the 2014 one >click

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Many thanks - yes I have discovered that my macbook has created another library, and though I can access it now there is an ongoing problem when I try to access the second library (containing all the photos) to use them for uploading etc. I could of course delete the original library, but without an external hard-drive available to back up before performing this operation I am, as you might imagine, pretty nervous.

But many thanks to everyone for your help on this. I posted as I know there are some Mac Book users on here and thought they may be able to help (which you did)

But I have had an idea - and instead of phoning Apple yet again I will try emailing them with the question. :) It will give them time to find someone who can answer and I will have time to read the answer at my leisure. :)

How big is the second library?

If it's small enough to be within your allowance have you thought about/tried backing it up to the cloud? If you can do that you can delete the lot from the machine, start again and restore the back up.

My only transport is my motorhome 10m x 2.5 x 3.65 high - meaning no access to most city centre carpark. Plus if I do park and ride I can't get my mobility scooter on so it means a long slow painful walk for me carrying the mac book.

Milton Keynes might be an option for an Apple Store. There aren't height barriers on the car parks and from memory there are a couple of places pretty close to the store where you could park. The traffic wardens there are usually pretty good so if you collar one and explain they will probably give you a bit of leeway. Even if you can't park close I believe the centre has mobility scooters for customer use. You will have to make an appointment with the Apple store though.

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
How big is the second library?

If it's small enough to be within your allowance have you thought about/tried backing it up to the cloud? If you can do that you can delete the lot from the machine, start again and restore the back up.

Milton Keynes might be an option for an Apple Store. There aren't height barriers on the car parks and from memory there are a couple of places pretty close to the store where you could park. The traffic wardens there are usually pretty good so if you collar one and explain they will probably give you a bit of leeway. Even if you can't park close I believe the centre has mobility scooters for customer use. You will have to make an appointment with the Apple store though.

Thanks Kasey. Both my libraries are enormous, mainly because they need sorting out, but I can't be bothered to justify the time. It was in the early days when I was scared to delete anything after the fiasco with my microsoft laptop which destroyed ALL of my photos when a virus got in (even though I was running anti virus at the time)

I will get it sorted, but I think Milton Keynes is not an option for me being halfway down France at present. I did go to that one when I was in England, but had to do park and ride and walk which was bit of a blight, but they were very helpful.

But I do have most of them on iCloud, for some reason the new ones I am putting on have not appeared, probably as the result of having more than one library. It will get sorted, but at present I am waiting for 1TB of storage to turn up so I can back up everything. Photos are the very worst things to loose as they are completely irreplaceable. :( Apparently the microsoft virus I got specifically targeted photos and saved files, knowing those are the things most people hate to loose :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back