What to use to pull a fifth wheeler (1 Viewer)

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
We are just about to purchase a Forestriver Wildcat 31THSB Toy Hauler which is:-
33 Feet Long
Dry Weight 8525(lbs) I presume in lbs as from FR USA Website
GVWR 11515
Hitch Weight 1355

Our plan is to carry Quad Bike(s) in Garage. and long term tour

We have spent many hours on the net and also speaking to various 5th wheel dealers and all give you conflicting info about which tow vehicle would be suitable. and I am now at the point of banging my head against a rather large brick wall. Could any one please point us in the right direction regarding a suitable tow vehicle.

I have C & E and D & E licence and should know better.

Many Thanks
:Doh:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Im assuming your in the UK??

At that size and weight and wanting to drag a couple of quads around your looking at a bit of a beast of a truck. A Ford F250 or 350, a Dodge Ram or even a downrated lorry (if you dont want left hand drive).

Are you wanting to tour the UK in it or are you planning on Europe or further afield ?

Bit more info needed really but welcome to the site :thumb:

OP
OP
Ant&Debs

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
5th Wheel Puller

Hi Dazzer

Many thanks for your reply and thank you for the welcome. Yes we are in the UK at the moment. We are planning to tour for 2 to 3 years. I have just spent 9 years Touring with Bands and now want to revisit all the places that i have been and worked, but this time for pleasure. ie, uk/most of europe

We decided on a Toy Hauler as it gave us the Garage that we need for the Quads as they are much more fun and cheaper to run when parked up etc.

I have downloaded tons of facts and figures regarding Towing/weights etc and it all just blows your mind. I understand that I need a beast and as you say a Dodge Ram or Ford or GMC etc. I dont mind a Left Hand Drive as I have driven Left Hand Drive for many years and I have HGV1/PSV1.

I am just bemused at the moment with all the facts and figures Heavy Duty/Super Heavy Duty/Reg Cab/SuperCab/CrewCab/2 Wheel Drive/4 Wheel Drive/ V8/V10/5.7/5.8/5.9/8.0/Manual/Auto/ Sliding 5th Wheel/Short Bed /Long Bed

The main figures regarding the trailer is from the forestriver Website for the Wildcat 31THSB and they give:-
Dry Weight 8525 lbs Appx 3866 kgs
GVWR 11515 lbs Appx 5223 kgs
Hitch Weight 1355 lbs

As i mentioned we intend to do some serious mileage and will encounter lot of hills, so really need to get right tow vehicle as such a large investment to get it wrong!

Be just grateful for a push in the right direction.

Many Many Thanks

Tony:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi tourbloke i would use a small truck like mine.mitsubishi canter double cab train weight 9.8ton.but the unit only weighs 2.95ton as you have c+e no need to down rate anything . the only thing to remember is living vans over 3.500kg need mot.lots of people dont know that n drive ilegal. isuzi also do nice small trucks as well. there is a pic of my truck on my profile give you an idea.cheers alan

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi tourbloke i would use a small truck like mine.mitsubishi canter double cab train weight 9.8ton.but the unit only weighs 2.95ton as you have c+e no need to down rate anything . the only thing to remember is living vans over 3.500kg need mot.lots of people dont know that n drive ilegal. isuzi also do nice small trucks as well. there is a pic of my truck on my profile give you an idea.cheers alan

thought that applied to ALL trailers over 3500kg Alan.
am i wrong?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
there are exemptions .i was just putting it forward so people will be aware of it as most think caravans are mot free.

OP
OP
Ant&Debs

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago

Thanks very much for the info.:thumb:

OP
OP
Ant&Debs

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago

At that size and weight and wanting to drag a couple of quads around your looking at a bit of a beast of a truck. A Ford F250 or 350, a Dodge Ram or even a downrated lorry (if you dont want left hand drive).

Are you wanting to tour the UK in it or are you planning on Europe or further afield ?

Bit more info needed really but welcome to the site :thumb:

HI Dazzer

Once again thanks for coming to my rescue, at the time i was was surrounded by so much printed paper regarding weights etc it was doing my head in.

However after a short break My Partner spotted the problem, she had let me deal with the towing issue, I have now been placed on toilet duties as a punishment for be stupid, and her passing comment was that in the last year of school if i had spent less time behind the bike shed smoking instead of being in maths class I would have been able to spot the mistake. She also commented that McDonalds are looking for staff and she feel that with my skills i would be able to work there and get a diploma in chopping Gherkins and mopping up ****.

I now know that the GVWR for the truck was in kgs and the wildcat was in lbs. so i have to find a vehicle to suit this. I am going tomorrow to kent to look at a Dodge Ram SRT -10 Viper 8.3 V10 lpg Dual Fuel, Heavy Duty.

So Hopefully that will pull it. Once again many thanks for your assistance regards this
Best wishes Tony & Debbie:thumb:

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
HI Dazzer

Once again thanks for coming to my rescue, at the time i was was surrounded by so much printed paper regarding weights etc it was doing my head in.

However after a short break My Partner spotted the problem, she had let me deal with the towing issue, I have now been placed on toilet duties as a punishment for be stupid, and her passing comment was that in the last year of school if i had spent less time behind the bike shed smoking instead of being in maths class I would have been able to spot the mistake. She also commented that McDonalds are looking for staff and she feel that with my skills i would be able to work there and get a diploma in chopping Gherkins and mopping up ****.

I now know that the GVWR for the truck was in kgs and the wildcat was in lbs. so i have to find a vehicle to suit this. I am going tomorrow to kent to look at a Dodge Ram SRT -10 Viper 8.3 V10 lpg Dual Fuel, Heavy Duty.

So Hopefully that will pull it. Once again many thanks for your assistance regards this
Best wishes Tony & Debbie:thumb:

Hi Tourbloke and welcome to the site.
I think you need to look carefully at the truck you intend to use as a Tow Vehicle.
I think you will find that the towing capacities of some of the "hot" or performance orientated US Trucks is not as great as you would expect.
You need to check the pin weight of the trailer against the maximum permissible load to be carried in the pick up bed. usually it is circa 20% of the GVWR (in your case approx 2303Lbs) This may well exceed the maximum allowable for the "hot" truck.
I would also suggest you check carefully that the tyres are rated highly enough to cope with the weight/load you intend to place on the truck. A number of the "hot" trucks have low profile tyres that are performance orientated and not towing orientated.
You also need to check out the bed length, this will assist with actually towing with the 5'er hitch. I would suggest that as a minimum you should be looking at a 6ft 6ins Bed length (also known as a 78 bed). This will assist in preventing the dreaded 5'er cab contact which can happen when tight manoeuvering.
I found from my experience that pretty much all of the "hot" trucks were not going to be suitable for my towing needs and in comparison to your Wildcat my Rockwood (incidentally also made by Forest River) is very much lighter.
If I can help further then please let me know.
Rob

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Tourbloke

I just found my own analysis for when I bought my truck and this was my shortlist.

Ford F250 or F350 CrewCab/Supercab/RegularCab. Petrol or Diesel.

Chevy Silverado 2500HD or 3500HD Petrol or Diesel. Same cabs as above

Dodge Ram 2500 or 3500 Quad Cab Diesel or Petrol

GMC Sierra 2500HD or 3500HD Petrol or Diesel Same cabs as above

I personally discounted the dually option (dual rear wheels) as the ones I looked at were simply massively wide.

HTH

Rob

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
As "robrobc" says, make sure you get a 6`6" bed at least, I got a 1.98. (metric) and found it was not possible to articulate properly.

But saying that the guy I bought my rig & 5er from is doing a free 500 mile trip approx and coming to fit a slider "Today".

Listen to what the members on here tell you and dont rush into buying the prettiest truck you see.

I bought a Ford F150 Triton and had an LPG conversion done, And did a 5,500 mile inaugaral trip around Europe not long ago, and other than not having a slider, the trip was superb,,

Contrary to opinion that the engine would not be man enough, We went up and through the Sierra Nevada mountains and some really steep roads with no problems.

Spend plenty of time looking and ask loads of questions, and you will get the truck you need to do the job.:thumb:

Good luck.

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
As "robrobc" says, make sure you get a 6`6" bed at least, I got a 1.98. (metric) and found it was not possible to articulate properly.

But saying that the guy I bought my rig & 5er from is doing a free 500 mile trip approx and coming to fit a slider "Today".

Listen to what the members on here tell you and dont rush into buying the prettiest truck you see.

I bought a Ford F150 Triton and had an LPG conversion done, And did a 5,500 mile inaugaral trip around Europe not long ago, and other than not having a slider, the trip was superb,,

Contrary to opinion that the engine would not be man enough, We went up and through the Sierra Nevada mountains and some really steep roads with no problems.

Spend plenty of time looking and ask loads of questions, and you will get the truck you need to do the job.:thumb:

Good luck.

Maurice

You kept the slider quiet ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile: Nice one mate :thumb::thumb:

Do you happen to know of any good importers of american pick up parts and accessories. I am fed up with breaking my thumbs and fingers with my OEM Ford Tonneau and want a sliding tonneau.

Thanks Maurice

Rob

OP
OP
Ant&Debs

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Hi Tourbloke and welcome to the site.
I think you need to look carefully at the truck you intend to use as a Tow Vehicle.
I think you will find that the towing capacities of some of the "hot" or performance orientated US Trucks is not as great as you would expect.
You need to check the pin weight of the trailer against the maximum permissible load to be carried in the pick up bed. usually it is circa 20% of the GVWR (in your case approx 2303Lbs) This may well exceed the maximum allowable for the "hot" truck.
I would also suggest you check carefully that the tyres are rated highly enough to cope with the weight/load you intend to place on the truck. A number of the "hot" trucks have low profile tyres that are performance orientated and not towing orientated.
You also need to check out the bed length, this will assist with actually towing with the 5'er hitch. I would suggest that as a minimum you should be looking at a 6ft 6ins Bed length (also known as a 78 bed). This will assist in preventing the dreaded 5'er cab contact which can happen when tight manoeuvering.
I found from my experience that pretty much all of the "hot" trucks were not going to be suitable for my towing needs and in comparison to your Wildcat my Rockwood (incidentally also made by Forest River) is very much lighter.
If I can help further then please let me know.
Rob

Many thanks rob for the info

OP
OP
Ant&Debs

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Tourbloke

I just found my own analysis for when I bought my truck and this was my shortlist.

Ford F250 or F350 CrewCab/Supercab/RegularCab. Petrol or Diesel.

Chevy Silverado 2500HD or 3500HD Petrol or Diesel. Same cabs as above

Dodge Ram 2500 or 3500 Quad Cab Diesel or Petrol

GMC Sierra 2500HD or 3500HD Petrol or Diesel Same cabs as above

I personally discounted the dually option (dual rear wheels) as the ones I looked at were simply massively wide.

HTH

Rob

Many thanks Rob info very helpful:thumb:

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Many thanks Rob info very helpful:thumb:

You are very welcome. I wish you great success in the Truck search, if I can assist any further then please let me know.

Rob

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007

I second what's been said about the length of truck bed. It's important.

Mo - would be interested to hear more about the slider. Is it automatic or manual? Where did you source it? Dare I ask what it cost? :Eeek:

Al

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
[Mo - would be interested to hear more about the slider. Is it automatic or manual? Where did you source it? Dare I ask what it cost? :Eeek:

Al

PULLRITE SUPERGLIDE - about £2500 by the time you've added VAT, import tax and the mounting rails needed for it!!!:cry::Eeek::cry:
Which is why I'm gonna give it 12 months, taking care when manouvreing, and see how we get on.:Cool:
I'd LOVE one but FLIPPIN 'ECK!!!!!!!:Eeek:

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
PULLRITE SUPERGLIDE - about £2500 by the time you've added VAT, import tax and the mounting rails needed for it!!!:cry::Eeek::cry:
Which is why I'm gonna give it 12 months, taking care when manouvreing, and see how we get on.:Cool:
I'd LOVE one but FLIPPIN 'ECK!!!!!!!:Eeek:

Could be a Reese 15K lbs round tube slider..............with rails it works out at approx £1300 delivered to your door.

Still big money I know but not as bad.

I have a 6ft 6 ins bed and have not needed to consider one yet, ::bigsmile: notice I use the term yet :ROFLMAO: there is always time for me to change my mind.

Rob

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
"Could be a Reese 15K lbs round tube slider..............with rails it works out at approx £1300 delivered to your door".

That looks like a manual slide attachment which you add to your existing hitch. Is that so Rob?

Al

It's around £250 to buy - plus shipping etc.

Last edited:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Hiya "Rob",
Got both from our friendly supplier,, cannot fault the guy. Went for a manual slider, bit less to go wrong with my track record on electric`s. only means hopping out the cab to move a lever, so no hardship there.
Not up to speed on toneau covers, but the one "Paul" fitted for me this morning will do me, nice fit easy to release and just rolls up to where ever you want it.

All the best
Maurice.

will try to put a couple of photo`s on with this..

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
"Could be a Reese 15K lbs round tube slider..............with rails it works out at approx £1300 delivered to your door".

That looks like a manual slide attachment which you add to your existing hitch. Is that so Rob?

Al

It's around £250 to buy - plus shipping etc.

Al,
The one I was looking at is the round tube slide, Reese Reference Number 30075, 12" of travel, operates from either side, US Retail of approx $1100, then add on a 30035 Rail Kit costing $168 US retail.
It is a manual so does not need the kingpin altering as some of the early superglide sliders did.
Having now towed my 5'er a fair bit I can see the need for a slider, but I think if I were to buy and that is a big "if" then it would be manual. I cannot see a cost justification for an automatic when used with a 6ft 6 ins bed.

HTH

By the way, bit off thread subject here.........::bigsmile:...........wonder if tourbloke has got his pick up sorted yet?. The suspense is killing me ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Rob

OP
OP
Ant&Debs

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Al,
The one I was looking at is the round tube slide, Reese Reference Number 30075, 12" of travel, operates from either side, US Retail of approx $1100, then add on a 30035 Rail Kit costing $168 US retail.
It is a manual so does not need the kingpin altering as some of the early superglide sliders did.
Having now towed my 5'er a fair bit I can see the need for a slider, but I think if I were to buy and that is a big "if" then it would be manual. I cannot see a cost justification for an automatic when used with a 6ft 6 ins bed.

HTH

By the way, bit off thread subject here.........::bigsmile:...........wonder if tourbloke has got his pick up sorted yet?. The suspense is killing me ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Rob

Hi Rob

Sorry to keep you in suspence! just got back from looking at pick ups in Kent, The Dodge Ram Viper was red and very lovely but no good for towing. They sold a Ford F250 on friday which would have suited. They have a couple more coming in a month so will wait till then as the unit is still at forest river. But I would just like to add and thank all those would have passed on valuable advice. this is a great site. just got to source the right size generator now :ROFLMAO:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that

At that size and weight and wanting to drag a couple of quads around your looking at a bit of a beast of a truck. A Ford F250 or 350, a Dodge Ram or even a down rated lorry (if you dont want left hand drive).

Of subject slightly but, I was parked next to a Dodge Ram a few days back with our swift 630g 7meter MH. and the Dodge clearly had a longer wheel base by about 6"

Doug

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
You also do not need duals on a US truck to take the load , if you don't go lighter than a Dodge 2500 or Ford F250, on the other hand there is no problem with duals on a truck like VWalan has. I like the torque of the Cummins, but they do sound like a Truck.
Nigel & Pamala

OP
OP
Ant&Debs

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
You also do not need duals on a US truck to take the load , if you don't go lighter than a Dodge 2500 or Ford F250, on the other hand there is no problem with duals on a truck like VWalan has. I like the torque of the Cummins, but they do sound like a Truck.
Nigel & Pamala

Hi

Thanks for the info:thumb:

Tony & Debbie

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the cummings is a truck engine. daf 45 etc nice motor. what you really need is a ford transcontinental or a renault magnum .pull any 5er. get a proper truck no need for sliders . seen so many pickup with bent beds n sides, dings in back of cab. and i like yorky bars.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back