LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Took van for MOT today.. Not due till 12th January 2016 but as many are aware you can have it tested up to 1 calendar month early and in effect have 13 months MOT..
After testing and on way home I noticed the new expiry date was 13 December 2016. 1 year from today and in effect i have lost a month. Visit back to MOT station and they stated that is what the computer produced and they could not alter anything..

Phone call to DVSA who stated there is a fault on the system and they have had "thousands" !!!
Took all my details and said a new certificate will be issued but could take 6 - 8 weeks..

SO if you have an MOT due soon, check your dates....

ps.. Yes it passed :)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Took van for MOT today.. Not due till 12th January 2016 but as many are aware you can have it tested up to 1 calendar month early and in effect have 13 months MOT..
After testing and on way home I noticed the new expiry date was 13 December 2016. 1 year from today and in effect i have lost a month. Visit back to MOT station and they stated that is what the computer produced and they could not alter anything..

Phone call to DVSA who stated there is a fault on the system and they have had "thousands" !!!
Took all my details and said a new certificate will be issued but could take 6 - 8 weeks..

SO if you have an MOT due soon, check your dates....

ps.. Yes it passed :)
That's another fine mess you gotten us into (insert name of MP's computer consultancy)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Multiply one month early for 'thousands' of MOT's, and with a charge of around £50-60, that's a hell of a lot of profit for the DVSA. I took 'Sloopy' for hers, but had to have a hand written bit of paper saying she had 'passed'. because the computer system had gone t**s up.....again. Had to wait a fortnight to get a real notification from the garage.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...tem-fails-as-drivers-forced-off-the-road.html

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I wouldn't expect anything different to happen to be honest....12 months from date of test surely?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
No, you've been able to go up to 13 for years.
............Right from when it first started, (just after the 15 year test was superseded). Certainly was the case in 1974.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Multiply one month early for 'thousands' of MOT's, and with a charge of around £50-60, that's a hell of a lot of profit for the DVSA. I took 'Sloopy' for hers, but had to have a hand written bit of paper saying she had 'passed'. because the computer system had gone t**s up.....again. Had to wait a fortnight to get a real notification from the garage.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...tem-fails-as-drivers-forced-off-the-road.html
DVSA cream off £2.05p from each and every test,and the rest goes the the greedy capitalist Garage Owner such as myself :xlaugh:
Ps we wont make a penny more we'll just get it a month early
Pps It also means when you eventually peg out, your Estate will be approximately £55 poorer than it would have been, so in reality it effects your Beneficiaries and not you:xwink:

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on and off since 1980
Had my mot done on Thursday 10th December expires 1st January, I will check tonight.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Don't you also have to pay them an arm and a leg for a very basic computer system ?

No Brian they said 8 years ago when it was introduced that the MoT station would not be put to any unnecessary expense with regard to the IT equipment
In year 2 we were all forced to have our gas analysers updated to enable communication via smart card readers between the Vosa system and our gas testers this cost circa £300 per garage and it was never ever used,because they couldnt make their end listen (work)
In year 7 we were told all the Vosa IT equipment will be scrapped and we will have to buy the replacement which of course we all have had to do
We ar now Tinterweb based that has not worked fully since it was introduced
So no Brian we dont pay them a penny other thn to £2.05p per mot issued
that we print on our printer with our ink and in our time
along with aprox£ 4 k a year to keep all MY equipment calibrated and serviced
Your (The Customers) contribution just covers Tea and Do-Nuts
G
Ps you did ask:xdoh:

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
I wouldn't expect anything different to happen to be honest....12 months from date of test surely?

You have been able to get an MOT done a month in advance of the expiry and preserve the expiry date for donkey's years.

Deleted User
Actually you can have the MOT test any time you like, every six months if you wish. The one month rule is so you can have the test up to one month before the existing MOT certificate expires and preserve the anniversary date. If you choose to have it done earlier, then the new certificate runs from the new test date.

This is true, but be careful, if your vehicle fails (even if the test is not officially due) then you can't legally drive it on the highway.

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
This is true, but be careful, if your vehicle fails (even if the test is not officially due) then you can't legally drive it on the highway.

Not entirely the whole picture. You can drive it BUT you could still be fined.

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

Failing the MOT
If your vehicle fails the MOT:

You can appeal the result if you think it’s wrong.

Driving a vehicle that’s failed
You can take your vehicle away if your MOT certificate is still valid.

If your MOT has run out you can take your vehicle to:

• have the failed defects fixed
  • a pre-arranged MOT test appointment
In both cases, your vehicle still needs to meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times or you can be fined.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
You have been able to get an MOT done a month in advance of the expiry and preserve the expiry date for donkey's years.

Thanks...I got that from earlier contribution and thanked accordingly:)

to be honest normally have sold on by the time MOT due...dont like driving old stuff:D

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Also, the certificate only implies that the vehicle was 'fit' on the day it was tested. You are expected to keep it 'fit' during the year. Anything could go wrong and if it fails next week on a road-side check the old certificate isn't valid either.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
DVSA cream off £2.05p from each and every test
OK then, hundreds of thousands of £2.05 a month early........:xsmile: The other point of coarse, is that when the system is 'down', (as it has been many times this year), the police have no way of checking if a stopped vehicle has a currant MOT.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Didn't the chancellor say something about mots becoming biannual soon and not needed for 5 years for all new vehicles from a certain date onwards?, or was my ear trumpet playing up.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Had my mot done on Thursday 10th December expires 1st January, I will check tonight.
UP TO 13 months.
If your expiry date was originally 1st jan and you had it tested 10th dec then it is correct....you gained an extra 21 days.

It CANNOT go beyond the original expiry date.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Typical government system probably took endless committee meetings and an expensive outsourced computer system which in the end did not work because they kept changing what was wanted. The cost to the garage doing the work and hassle would be of no consequence

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on and off since 1980
UP TO 13 months.
If your expiry date was originally 1st jan and you had it tested 10th dec then it is correct....you gained an extra 21 days.

It CANNOT go beyond the original expiry date.
I know, been doing it for years. Just have to check the date on the new one.
Used to do it for the bikes, if you had a valid mot could get away with not changing the pipes and number plates.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
May be it could be like trucks and not have a date but a month the mot runs out, and the month is stamped on the number plate. That would give a whole month to pick a day to suit you when it's in for mot.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back