Dark colored German panel vans (1 Viewer)

Dec 13, 2015
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2014
Hello All

Just joined your site today after reading various posts and not finding any answers to my query.

We have owned a Hymer Exsis SG since May 2014, it's our first van and had some fab times mainly around Europe. I'm now ready to sell the Exsis and purchase a lhd panel van in Germany. I've looked on mobile.de and like the look of the grey and black colored Adria's, Globecars, Hymers etc. however, what are they like in direct sunlight when the temperatures are above 25C? they don't look as practical as the white vans, or do the panel vans have some sort of insulation that stops the vans from getting hot inside?

Are theses dark colored vans best suited to cooler climates?

Many thanks
David

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We have this one on order in France Broken Link Removed

Would have had a silver/grey but there would be a biggish price increase!

Last edited:
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We have a dark grey Globecar and in the summer sun it gets flippin hot :eek:

On the other hand, in winter the van is nice and cozy on a cold sunny day :D

Principally you have already answered your own question. On a different note however, it is much easier to 'wildcamp' without standing out like a belisha beacon (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
My experience with commercial vans as in Transits is that the darker colours act as heat sinks... I had a metallic grey Transit and it used to get uncomfortable in the sun even though it had Air con..
Our PVC is what Peugeot call Golden White. Very light gold in other words. It's fine in direct sunlight and heat.

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
We spent the Summer of 2014 in Greece in a white Westfalia James Cook and this last Summer in much the same area in a "graphite" (dark grey) La Strada PVC.
In both the internal temperature usually equalled the outside temperature most of the time.
We didn't notice any difference between them really as far as temperature was concerned...in both we used strategically positioned fans to keep the air moving around which kept things comfortable most of the time.:)

Deleted User
Both our Pvc have been dark, first black, current dark grey, no idea how they stack up against white with heat, but we cope, it's a small area to cool and you do get a huge sliding door to let the outside in.
Personal preference, but I wouldn't ever go for white they just don't look cool;)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
German PVC 's are quite well insulated, but nowhere as the same standard as coachbuilts. Although a dark van get a little hotter but with the insulation I doubt if it would be enough to cause concern.

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
German PVC 's are quite well insulated, but nowhere as the same standard as coachbuilts. Although a dark van get a little hotter but with the insulation I doubt if if would be enough to cause concern.

Agree..have had light and dark Grey and no difference that I notice

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
An insulated dark vehicle will get hotter than an insulated light coloured vehicle.. Any owner of a dark vehicle whether it's a van a motor home or car should realise dark colours absorb heat.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
German PVC 's are quite well insulated, but nowhere as the same standard as coachbuilts. Although a dark van get a little hotter but with the insulation I doubt if it would be enough to cause concern.
Well my PVC is German and it get flamin hot in the sun! If there is a good breeze then not so bad but on a calm day you could literally fry an egg on the paintwork :eek: Internally the side that is in the sunshine gets so hot that it radiates heat on the inside. All the insulation does is hold the heat longer!

Given the choice I would have silver....

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Well my PVC is German and it get flamin hot in the sun! If there is a good breeze then not so bad but on a calm day you could literally fry an egg on the paintwork :eek: Internally the side that is in the sunshine gets so hot that it radiates heat on the inside. All the insulation does is hold the heat longer!

Given the choice I would have silver....
Ashphalt flat roofs are painted with a silver paint called silver flex . This is to prevent heat sink that gives the expansion and contraction that deteriorates the ashlhalt.
Ever seen a black sunhat ?

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Ashphalt flat roofs are painted with a silver paint called silver flex . This is to prevent heat sink that gives the expansion and contraction that deteriorates the ashlhalt.
Ever seen a black sunhat ?
I don't understand Charlie :unsure: are you suggesting I paint the roof silver?

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I don't understand Charlie :unsure: are you suggesting I paint the roof silver?
No I was agreeing with your comment that silver is a better colour for vehicles used in hot climates...
It would be extreme to paint the roof of a van !
I must admit to liking that dark grey the Germans seem to like ! And it would not deter me from buying a van in that colour.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
No I was agreeing with your comment that silver is a better colour for vehicles used in hot climates...
It would be extreme to paint the roof of a van !
I must admit to liking that dark grey the Germans seem to like ! And it would not deter me from buying a van in that colour.

Yes they are, but as said I notice no diffrence and we go to Italy in 35-40 deg temps every summer. german vans have a reputation for good levels of insulation, this includes panel vans. I would avoid black though.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Yes, I have several. They are much more effective at blocking UV radiation than lighter colours!

I run a small building company. Part of my role is to monitor health and safety. We have to advise the guys to wear Light coloured hats / Hard hats and light coloured clothing which is in particular T shirts under the requisite Hi Vis vests in warm/hot weather. Its a well known fact light colours absorb less heat .
We are talking heat here not UV ...

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just to complicate things you might wonder why Arab women wear black? The answer isn't obvious because you would think it was completely the wrong colour - but it isn't. However, the clothing has to be lose in order for it to work. The mechanism is the outer black layer does get hot and this heats the air inside which then rises. The lady is then effectively standing in a chimney with air being drawn in at ground level and discharging at the top. But the clothing has to be lose, this won't work with lycra.:xsmile:

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Just to complicate things you might wonder why Arab women wear black? The answer isn't obvious because you would think it was completely the wrong colour - but it isn't. However, the clothing has to be lose in order for it to work. The mechanism is the outer black layer does get hot and this heats the air inside which then rises. The lady is then effectively standing in a chimney with air being drawn in at ground level and discharging at the top. But the clothing has to be lose, this won't work with lycra.:xsmile:

I dont wear much lycra ........... I reckon Judge does though ..............:D:D

Reactions: DBK

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I run a small building company. Part of my role is to monitor health and safety. We have to advise the guys to wear Light coloured hats / Hard hats and light coloured clothing which is in particular T shirts under the requisite Hi Vis vests in warm/hot weather. Its a well known fact light colours absorb less heat .
We are talking heat here not UV ...

I realise you're talking about heat and vans - I'm awaiting delivery off a silver one, BTW :xsmile:

But you asked if anyone had ever seen a black sunhat, which I have. They're not difficult to find, it's just that most people think they should have a light coloured sun hat, whereas what is best depends on whether you wear it to cool your head or protect it from a risk of sun damage.

Having had skin cancer and being told that I've had more than enough sun exposure to last the rest of my life, I prefer the latter :cool:

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I realise you're talking about heat and vans - I'm awaiting delivery off a silver one, BTW :xsmile:

But you asked if anyone had ever seen a black sunhat, which I have. They're not difficult to find, it's just that most people think they should have a light coloured sun hat, whereas what is best depends on whether you wear it to cool your head or protect it from a risk of sun damage.

Having had skin cancer and being told that I've had more than enough sun exposure to last the rest of my life, I prefer the latter :cool:

I think you will find the topic is or at least was about heat Or at least it evolved into the talk of heat on darker coloured German vans,, ... I understand what you are saying but we are on different tangents . Your needs are of course completely different and I wish you all the very best with that !

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
At the end of the day I think the colour is really irrelevent!
What matters most is "is the layout right for me?"
That is the most important thing!

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
At the end of the day I think the colour is really irrelevent!
What matters most is "is the layout right for me?"
That is the most important thing!

But I wanted both............ I guess the OP of this post must be also deciding on colour ? I think when I buy an expensive vehicle which I /we hope to keep for a few years getting all aspects right is better than ending up changing again ..
You are of course completely right though the layout is vitally important.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Yep but the extra cost of a different colour put me off!
To be fair though I quite like the white anyway.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back