Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Didn't want to hijack so.......

Seemples, I want to be able to run a 750 watt hoover occationally in the van, reason obvious (cleaning). Now it's not 'cause we wild it it's simply I want to be able to manage without.

Advise please, thus far it looks like I need a pure or true sine wave and assume to go around the 1000 Watt mark, I know it's not that simple with start up loads and all that but a 1000 watt with 2000 watt peak sounds OK to me for what will be 5 mins every few days (oooops moments accepted).

And where? Early looking looks :Eeek::cry:expensive for the little use.

Cheers, Si.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
certainly sounds an expensive option to me too.

it would be cheaper to run the onboard genny for the time you will need it or buy a good quality 12v hoover and use it more often.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Didn't want to hijack so.......

Seemples, I want to be able to run a 750 watt hoover occationally in the van, reason obvious (cleaning). Now it's not 'cause we wild it it's simply I want to be able to manage without.

Advise please, thus far it looks like I need a pure or true sine wave and assume to go around the 1000 Watt mark, I know it's not that simple with start up loads and all that but a 1000 watt with 2000 watt peak sounds OK to me for what will be 5 mins every few days (oooops moments accepted).

And where? Early looking looks :Eeek::cry:expensive for the little use.

Cheers, Si.

We have a 1500 watt inverter that is not a true sine wave type and I run, power tools computer, TV and microwave. Not all at the same time of course and we have not found any problems, but that's not to say that all equipment will work without a problem.

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 22, 2008
Funster No
I have a 2000 watt Inverter in my van ,we run an upright vacumn cleaner ,hair dryer, tele and dvd player,lap top,Remouska electric kettle, microwave etc off of it, super bit of kit, it is served by three leisure batteries and a solar panel, I also have a 1000 watt Honda genny, but I find this is not much use as it won't power what we want, and it gets very little use, I wish I had bought the 2000 watt one now but there you go.:Doh::Doh:

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Vindiboy
Where did you get your 2000w Inverter from? I am in the market for one to drive Mrs Colpots Hair Dryer and Straightners for about 15mins each day (not both at same time) but am seeing prices vary from £150 to £1500!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Vindiboy
Where did you get your 2000w Inverter from? I am in the market for one to drive Mrs Colpots Hair Dryer and Straightners for about 15mins each day (not both at same time) but am seeing prices vary from £150 to £1500!

Hi

you won't find one much cheaper .. but here is one on ebay at £134.99 ( inc postage )

Link Removed

hth

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
you dont need a pure sine wave inverter unless the hoover has a variable speed motor,

yes it'll run a bit noisier than when on shore power, but that's fine,

the only things that must have a pure sine wave are washing machines, as they use thyristors to vary the motor speed, the odd bit of communication equipment that can buzz on a modified square wave inverter, you 'may' get lines on the tv from a msw inverter too, but some do, lots dont.

most MSW inverters of about 1000 watt ratings should do for you, they will have a silly peak rating.. some as much at 8kw, but that's for micromilliseconds, a more realistic surge capacity would be 3kw, which should cover the hoover with ease.

i have a 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter in my van, but only because i have a washing machine, but i run a 1500 watt hoover off it (my home made centeral vacuum system) the inverter has a 3kw surge capacity (pure sine wave inverters always have lower surge capacities) but i've never had the overload warning activate yet.

gogocrosby

Free Member
Apr 2, 2009
Morpeth, Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
12 years
If it's just for cleaning, why not look at the new Dyson DC 30 and 31 you can use around the house and car too. It has got a new super techie digital motor and really works ( apparently) unlike weak namby pamby dustbusters.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back