MH
A Class
MY MATE HAS GOT A FOUR WINDS 5000 7.5 ton
HE IS WONDERING IF IT IS LEGAL FOR HIM TO TOW HIS FREELANDER
ON AN A-FRAME, AS HE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT SORT OF WEIGHT HE
CAN TOW LEGALLY.
i tow a trailer with a citroen C3 on it on my Swift Kontiki,but I've no
idea on American RV's.

I think a normal C1 +E licence allows you to drive a vehicle up to 7500kg + a trailer over 750kg with a max of 12000 kg total. C+E allows any weight vehicle plus trailer, no weight limit??

As for legalities of A frames, well lets not go there again , shall we???:RollEyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Gross train weight for a C+1E licence is 8250kg so if the RV is up to its max of 7500kg you have 750 kg left.
My bus is 7100kg gvw which leaves me 1150 which is enough for my 107 on trailer - just !
With 750 kg you have enough for an Aixam or similar or a Secma

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
MY MATE HAS GOT A FOUR WINDS 5000 7.5 ton
HE IS WONDERING IF IT IS LEGAL FOR HIM TO TOW HIS FREELANDER
ON AN A-FRAME, AS HE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT SORT OF WEIGHT HE
CAN TOW LEGALLY.
i tow a trailer with a citroen C3 on it on my Swift Kontiki,but I've no
idea on American RV's.
Hi Big Baz,

It all depends when your mate passed his driving test. If pre Jan 1997, see hereLink Removed, and if post 1997, see here. Vehicles you can drive and how old you must be to drive them : Directgov - Motoring

Basically pre 97 gives him the grandfather rights up to a maximum of 8.25 tonnes, and post 97 gives him 12 tonnes, but only after passing an additional test.

As a former towing instructor(as well as a Fireman), with my last Brigade, I found it unbelievable that some members of the public "for example", were unwittingly passing their test after Jan 97, jumping into Daddy's 2.5 tonne Range Rover, and hitching up the horse box with a pony or two in the back, and then shooting off to the Gymkhana, without knowing that they were breaking the law. I blame DVLA and the government myself. :winky:

HTH,

Jock.

Last edited:

damondunc

Funster
Aug 2, 2007
near Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
towing legalities

In the eyes of the law, it is the MAM (maximum authorised mass) of any vehicle and or the trailer that it is towing that the law refers to. In other words if the trailer has a MAM of 1500kg this is the weight that would be taken into account with regard to driving license regs, NOT what the trailer actually weighs. There are probably many people driving large motorhomes/ RV's and towing trailers or cars on a frames that do not have the correct license.
Dunc.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
ci+e is usually restricted to 8250kg train wt on pre 97 licences . di+eallows mimibuses 9-16 seats pulling a traler up to 12000kg. c1+e rest.107.not more than8250kg.di+e rest 101.119 weight limit does not apply.d+e could have been kept if applied for in 1991 and medical take every 5yrs also certificate of grandfathers rights signed by some proffesional.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back