Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
Thats what its looking like at the moment.On 24/february/2015,
we parked in the carpark at the Fonte in Paderne,(as in parked in the marked out parking space ,between the white lines). We had a bicycle ride up towards Alte,and when we came back the police were there,they took our details and a photograph, ( at the time we thought this was in case we stayed on or came back later )and explained that we could not stay there overnight,the conversation was pleasant,and they chatted about the large numbers of vans in the Algarve this year- they was with no indication that we had done anything wrong,and we moved on.(they had good english)
We did not get home until june,and found our first letter from
Albuferia council!!
252 EUROS please for "parking".
Having asked many people for help,today we have been told by a
portuguese solicitor that if we cannot produce "reliable witnesses"
that it may be best to just pay.
I am guessing that at best a witness to say we moved on would
be helpful,but in reality who is going to remember an old hymer
in Paderne 10 months ago???
What happens if i refuse to pay?
and if it is the case that the fine is for parking a motorhome
in a carpark-maybe we should just pay up.
Any assistance appreciated.
thanks.
we have no Portuguese and still have not seen an english
translation of the letters.google and the like do not seem to produce a meaningful translation of Portuguese legal documents.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Oh that's awful, and especially at this time of year. Hopefully someone will be able to help you, maybe another funster in the area could take a photo of any signage in car park that might help you. Fingers crossed you manage to get it sorted.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
If they took photos of your van being legally parked, have they sent you a copy?
Apply for a photo of you being illegally parked and why wasn't you given a ticket or told to move on?

Or, am I not reading it right?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Cannot help at all with whether you should pay or not, sorry.

We parked there for 2 nights in April of this year, along with a car park full of motorhomes and never saw a policeman, let alone a fine. We did tons of washing and had it drapped all over the place, as did all the other vans.

It does seem a large fine for just parking. Is there a phone number you could ring to discuss. I bet someone in the office will speak English.

Last edited:

Deleted User
Cannot help at all with whether you should pay or not, sorry.

We parked there for 2 nights in April of this year, along with a car park full of motorhomes and never saw a policeman, let alone a fine. We did tons of washing and had it drapped all over the place, as did all the other vans.

It does seem a large fine for just parking. Is there a phone number you could ring to discuss. I bet someone in the office will speak English.

No surprise that they are cracking down then is it!!:xangry:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
No surprise that they are cracking down then is it!!:xangry:
It's a wash house, for doing washing!! There are washing lines and everything. Every van there was there to do laundry.

IT is listed as a public laundry.
image.png

Last edited:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I always thought the area to the right as you drove in was an aire!
We walked past many times while at Pedro's and always lots of m/homes in there!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm guessing that your MH fitted between the marked lines but I suspect it overhung at one or both ends. If this was the case and they have a photograph then I fear you will just have to pay up. Especially if you have any plans to return to Portugal. :xsad: On the positive side the exchange rate is 1.38 today although it would have been best to pay it in July when is was 1.43. :xgrin:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I always thought the area to the right as you drove in was an aire!
We walked past many times while at Pedro's and always lots of m/homes in there!
I thought it was an aire too. I know that some vans were parked outside the working barn/farm to the left (as you look at the site from the road) and there are no marked out spaces there.

OP
OP
G

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
I'm guessing that your MH fitted between the marked lines but I suspect it overhung at one or both ends. If this was the case and they have a photograph then I fear you will just have to pay up. Especially if you have any plans to return to Portugal. :xsad: On the positive side the exchange rate is 1.38 today although it would have been best to pay it in July when is was 1.43. :xgrin:

so you wanna see the picture? --
IMG_20151211_0003.jpg

Crusty jack

Free Member
Dec 2, 2015
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 640
Exp
Since1994
This kind of incident does not exactly encourage tourists to visit Portugal !!!! It beats me how some authorities can be so shortsighted; don't they want our money, or what ? Toby Trux.

OP
OP
G

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
I thought it was an aire too. I know that some vans were parked outside the working barn/farm to the left (as you look at the site from the road) and there are no marked out spaces there.
NO -the marked out parking is where we were parked.
see the police photograph!!

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I would agree but there was a Dutch double axle there next to the toilets for ages!
Yes and I wouldn't be surprised if this is why there has possibly been complaints, as I could see the barn owner was struggling to get his farm vehicles through the doors. We did make a point of buying oranges from the front of the farm, not sure if this was the same business or not.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
NO -the marked out parking is where we were parked.
see the police photograph!!
Yep, you parked in the same bit that we did. I am disappointed and surprised that this has happened to you as this is certainly somewhere we would have re-visited next spring. I still think a phone call may be worth it, you never know. From that photo I cannot see why they would think you were illegally parked, unless it's the shoes outside the van, but that is really pushing a point if it is. The time on the photo is not proof that you stayed there just for day or all night. I would like to know their reasoning behind it, there certainly is not any 'No Motorhome' parking signs there.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
€252 is a mighty big fine for parking isn't it? Looking at the photo your MoHo is parked exactly like I park so were not sticking out into the roadway or over another parking space.

OP
OP
G

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
Yep, you parked in the same bit that we did. I am disappointed and surprised that this has happened to you as this is certainly somewhere we would have re-visited next spring. I still think a phone call may be worth it, you never know. From that photo I cannot see why they would think you were illegally parked, unless it's the shoes outside the van, but that is really pushing a point if it is. The time on the photo is not proof that you stayed there just for day or all night. I would like to know their reasoning behind it, there certainly is not any 'No Motorhome' parking signs there.[/QUote

as far as i recall,thats a cycle helmet mam,and i think its parked inside the line.
I at this stage appreciate any help-are you sure there are no "no motorhome " signs?
thanks

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
This kind of incident does not exactly encourage tourists to visit Portugal !!!! It beats me how some authorities can be so shortsighted; don't they want our money, or what ? Toby Trux.
Don't despair too much, the Portugal Tourist organisations are trying to get it together. See here Broken Link Removed

I think there has been such an influx of motorhomes in the last couple of years (since the French stopped going to Morocco so much) that the country is feeling a bit over run, at least this is the impression I got from a hairdresser that I went to in Manta Rota.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Camping?
Shoes outside, Step out, Door open Bikes unloaded.

Putting anything on, outside or under the parked vehicle can be construed as camping. We were told that in Spain.
The Guardia pointed to the raised roof top satellite dish and said "camping". All windows and doors shut, step in and nothing out, on or under the van. He then walked away.

OP
OP
G

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
Camping?
Shoes outside, Step out, Door open Bikes unloaded.

Putting anything on, outside or under the parked vehicle can be construed as camping. We were told that in Spain.
The Guardia pointed to the raised roof top satellite dish and said "camping". All windows and doors shut, step in and nothing out, on or under the van. He then walked away.

are you just being obnoxious,or can you not read?
we had a pleasant conversation with the police-no mention of any problem.
stop talking s--t

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Is this the only page sent, or is there more with possibly an explanation of the offence.
I am fairly sure there are a Portuguese couple on another motorhome site, and if you could post what there is and large enough for them to read I could maybe get them to translate and comment?

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I can't see from your document what you're being fined for fracao andar seems to translate as fraction floor ( could guess at meaning overhang) but doesn't state this as the offence.
Does anyone know what would happen if you just ignored it? Can they come after you in Ireland?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back