Home made BUTTER (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I made butter last night for the first time in my life.......

I can not believe how easy it is to make (y) It is a form of Alchemy :)

Started off with 600 ml of Double Cream, placed in the stand mixer and whisked until done! I slowly ramped up the speed every 30 seconds and within 4 1/2 minutes I had butter!

It was amazing to watch, first the cream went through the 'peaks' of whipped cream, then the lumps of clotted cream, then all of a sudden the liquid separated from the solid and butter was whizzing around in a bowl of buttermilk !

I drained off the buttermilk (to make Soda Bread later (y)) then 'rinsed' the butter in clean cold water a couple of times squeezing out the remaining buttermilk.

I divided up the butter in to 2 x 125g and 1 x 85 g. For an experiment I then added 2g fine sea salt to one, left the other one unsalted and the smaller one I added course sea salt crystals for a 'Normandy style' butter.

The results are fantastic :D:D

I can't really see us buying butter ever again!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I toyed with this idea some while ago.. even bought two Welsh butter pats from ebay ..

but the price of double cream makes it uneconomical.. unless you find it being sold cheap with a short use by date .. Makro sometimes have it on offer

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I bought Jill some 17th century style butter making kit some years ago when we were still going to re-enactment events and she used it a number of times. The kit must be somewhere in the house but I can't remember where.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
:notworthy2:Great post @chocksaway !

I've thought about making my own butter on and off for a long time. Your method seems very straightforward and as I'm off shopping later this morning, I'll get the necessary stuff in and will report back.

The thought of home made soda bread made with home made buttermilk, lashed with home made butter and home made jam is sending me into sensory overload :xgrin::xgrin::xgrin:

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
but the price of double cream makes it uneconomical..

I had thought that too. The butter I made from the 600ml turned out to be equivalent to £1.19 per 250g pack so compared to an average price of £1.60/£1.80 for French style salted butter I am quite happy......

Also I got 200ml of fresh buttermilk thrown in .........

I like the idea that I can make various styles and tastes of butter as required (y)

I will report back with a final taste test after breakfast (that will be todays homemade sourdough bread ;))

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
:notworthy2:Great post @chocksaway !

I've thought about making my own butter on and off for a long time. Your method seems very straightforward and as I'm off shopping later this morning, I'll get the necessary stuff in and will report back.

The thought of home made soda bread made with home made buttermilk, lashed with home made butter and home made jam is sending me into sensory overload :xgrin::xgrin::xgrin:

@milliethehymer I found this link really useful......

http://oakden.co.uk/home-made-butter/

Their web site is not the easiest to navigate but look in the 'recipes' section for loads of tasty looking stuff (y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I had thought that too. The butter I made from the 600ml turned out to be equivalent to £1.19 per 250g pack so compared to an average price of £1.60/£1.80 for French style salted butter I am quite happy......

fair enough.. will re-visit the idea and report back (y)

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
http://oakden.co.uk/home-made-butter/

Their web site is not the easiest to navigate but look in the 'recipes' section for loads of tasty looking stuff (y)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up, had a quick look at the site and seems like a great resource

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I was brought up on a dairy farm and like my mum I had to do my share of work when I was little such as collecting the fowls eggs from wherever they decided to lay them which was fun for a kid of my age ,but butted churning by hand every day for hours on end I hated . So enjoy your trip into the past making butter. Shop bought top quality butter from Wales or Devon is super..IMO..

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Butter is one of my favourite things - especially spread thick on Panatone

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Now you've cracked the butter have a go at cheese ...

Broken Link Removed

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Think I 'might' just be being swayed into getting a 'mixer' instead of a bread machine (for bread kneading) if I can make butter too .... mmmmmmmmm. I love butter and so does my Mum who often has butter with a bit of bread (yes, more butter than bread!).

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@MinxyGirl now you will be starting a 'mixer wars' debate ;)

I would recommend a Kenwood Kmix.......... but @ScotJim would recommend a KitchenAid ..........

As it happens we got ours free from uncle Tesco so the decision was an easy one (y)

(Err, I don't mean I nicked it............ we had a truck load of 'points' to use added to a silly price on their website at the time :D)

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I will report back with a final taste test after breakfast (that will be todays homemade sourdough bread ;))

Well, I have not 'died and gone to Heaven' ...............

Coz I'm still alive and Heaven is in my house in the shape of home made butter and home made bread ! (y)(y)(y)

The butter really does taste awesome! we tried all 'three' and they are lovely.

This is of course a 'butter' thread but I am also very happy with my sourdough now......... finally got the hang of it :D

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I would recommend a Kenwood Kmix.......... but @ScotJim would recommend a KitchenAid ..........

whatever you can afford.. if money no object the KitchenAid .. both do the job..

bit like choosing a motorhome.. a cheap one off ebay is better than none ...

All you need to get now is some Chooks.. can't beat fresh eggs

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Think I 'might' just be being swayed into getting a 'mixer' instead of a bread machine (for bread kneading) if I can make butter too .... mmmmmmmmm. I love butter and so does my Mum who often has butter with a bit of bread (yes, more butter than bread!).

Without hijacking the thread, you can also make cakes using the stand mixer...and the filling, and the icing ....

+1 for Kitchenaid here

As the yoof say... #just sayin' :xThumb:

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User

The point is........... get a top quality one and don't be tempted by a £19.99 special :rolleyes:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
whatever you can afford.. if money no object the KitchenAid .. both do the job..

bit like choosing a motorhome.. a cheap one off ebay is better than none ...

All you need to get now is some Chooks.. can't beat fresh eggs
I'm a Yorkshire lass so whilst I can afford the best I'm not sure if my conscience will let me! :xdoh:

As for chooks ... don't think that would work very well with 3 dogs ... although I suppose chasing them would give the dogs some exercise and feed them for a day ... but expensive though!:xgrin:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I remember making butter as a child when staying with my Grandparents who had a smallholding :) We had access to cream and a small churn and I would be put on a stool so I could reach the handle. The reward after it was done was to be allowed to drink some of the buttermilk.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
As for chooks ... don't think that would work very well with 3 dogs ... although I suppose chasing them would give the dogs some exercise and feed them for a day ... but expensive though!:xgrin:

My chooks (when I had them) would form into an attack pack at any hint of danger and saw more than one dog and several cats out of the garden. The local tom cat was terrified of them and used to detour through the field.

Have you seen this video? There are several with the same dog featured

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Very topical - my boy Whippet stole a 1/2 pound from the butter dish yesterday. It made him sick and flatulent. I like it though :).

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

The Kitchen Aid is old fashioned, it's design hasn't changed since the 1920s... no electronics to go wrong.. if the the motor brushes ever need replacing the caps are on the outside of the machine.. no tools or technician needed.. it's built like the proverbial brick shit house..

as I mentioned before, it harks back to a time when stuff was made to last.. like Singer sewing machines.. which went down the pan when they tried to 'go modern' .. old but true adage.. .. if it works don't fix it.. or as we had in our workshops.. if it works don't feck it up .. a lesson many companies need to learn..

let battle begin .. Amazon product ASIN
http://www.kitchenaid.co.uk/about-kitchenaid/history

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My chooks (when I had them) would form into an attack pack at any hint of danger and saw more than one dog and several cats out of the garden. The local tom cat was terrified of them and used to detour through the field.

Have you seen this video? There are several with the same dog featured

I think the dog was incredibly brave - vicious thing an irritated cock bird :).

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I'm so stressed about whether to go to France or Spain next month that I have taken to eating comfort food now!

The butter and bread are disappearing fast o_O (they are mighty comforting;))

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
after it's annual oil change, the KitchenAid is on alert :xlaugh:

buying cream tonight, butter pats cleaned and ready for action..

ho ho ho :xgrin:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back