Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
I hate our stupid laws, if I am doing DIY on a Sunday and something goes wrong it is usually to late to get to the shop to buy replacements, being I have to work all week like most of you that only leaves Saturdays so I want a full day of Sunday trading.

What are your views, do you want the shops open on Sundays.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

When I opened my fireplace showroom 30 years ago I opened on Sundays, when it was against the law, in fact the first few years we only closed Christmas Day and New Years Day.

Two years ago we stopped opening Sundays and Bank Holidays as the showroom is run by just family and my sons felt we needed a day off.

Trade hasn't dropped as a result, we might have missed a few sales but running your own business 7 days a week is too stressful - you never really get time off - you always 'take it home' with you anyway.

We have found that taking the Sunday off has helped develop the business, arriving at work on a Monday refreshed with new ideas and enthusiasm.

As for shopping on Sunday, personally I don't......... DIY on a Sunday? - no chance - I cook dinner or we all go to the pub:xThumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Actually, I quite miss the days when nearly everything was closed on Sundays............... it gave a sense of order and structure to the week.

It's a bit like 'night shifts' .......... we all want our sleep..... just as long as someone else is awake in an emergency :eek:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If shops don't want to open on a Sunday they don't have to. If staff don't like working on a Sunday they can usually arrange their roster to make sure they don't have to, and if their employer won't let them then they are not worth working for, so go and work with a decent employer instead.

If we are going to have a "short" day for religious reasons (which is what Sunday is supposed to be about remember) why not make it a Friday ............... (light blue touch paper and retire immediately).

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
The trouble is we have got so used to a 24/7 world, we want everything available now not tomorrow. You only have to look at big super markets at Xmas they close for two days most of them, but before that people are stocking up like the world is going to end. Get a life. A small town near where we live most of the shops close Sunday and even Wednesday afternoons. MANANA.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
You only have to look at big super markets at Xmas they close for two days most of them, but before that people are stocking up like the world is going to end.

How did we manage? Shops closed over Christmas before many of us had fridges or freezers and you had to fill up the car (if you had one) because petrol stations closed......

:xdoh:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Steady kids, we're off on a trip down memory lane now ;)

Reactions: DBK

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I hate our stupid laws, if I am doing DIY on a Sunday and something goes wrong it is usually to late to get to the shop to buy replacements, being I have to work all week like most of you that only leaves Saturdays so I want a full day of Sunday trading.

What are your views, do you want the shops open on Sundays.
The part I have highlighted is always the one I find most interesting when I see/hear a plea like this, whether it be shops, GP surgeries, libraries or whatever opening longer hours.

In order for shops to open on during those extra hours, staff have to be employed then as well as "all week". In some cases they may be extra staff but often it will be the same people who work during "all week" and have to take their days off other than at the weekend.

Whenever I see/hear a plea like this, I wonder how the person making it would react to be asked to work regularly at weekends as well :)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Move to rural Wales. Most places still shut Sundays and Wednesday afternoons. A pain sometimes if you forget but you soon get used to it, even appreciate it. I prefer to take Siân shopping when the shops are shut. :)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would like to see the shorter hours kept our local diy shops open to 8 at night most days during the week and there is always the net to order stuff. We work for ourselves and when people say they work all week they often don't (had someone ask for an evening appointment after 3.30 pm......guess the occupation!) and I like a different day each week despite both being atheist.

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
I would like to see the shorter hours kept our local diy shops open to 8 at night most days during the week and there is always the net to order stuff. We work for ourselves and when people say they work all week they often don't (had someone ask for an evening appointment after 3.30 pm......guess the occupation!) and I like a different day each week despite both being atheist.

When I pass the local DIY place in the evening, it's mostly work fans presumably stocking up to get away early on the next days job. If you work at a customers house/site until 5pm and the shops shut at 5pm you are stuffed!

You get used to it though, I always forget supermarkets shut on Sundays in Italy and roll up to a very quiet car park!

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
I quite like the idea of closing all shops for one day a week, Sunday trading was only brought in because big supermarkets pushed for it, has it increased their profits, I doubt it.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Move to rural Wales. Most places still shut Sundays and Wednesday afternoons. A pain sometimes if you forget but you soon get used to it, even appreciate it. I prefer to take Siân shopping when the shops are shut. :)

Tight b***er.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Actually, I quite miss the days when nearly everything was closed on Sundays............... it gave a sense of order and structure to the week.

It's a bit like 'night shifts' .......... we all want our sleep..... just as long as someone else is awake in an emergency :eek:

So do I !
We used to use local supermarket car parks for all sorts of stuff.. Like RC car racing, meeting places for ride outs, skate boarding ( yes... me LOL !!! ) etc etc

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@Jaws haha, true! (I said we on a journey down memory lane ;))

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
When they brought in the Sunday opening laws they said it was to bring us in line with the rest of the EU. How does that work, in France only bakers and the odd small shop in a village open Sunday morning, tourist coastal towns sometimes a few shops open otherwise all closed. Germany apart from food shops (often open until 4:30) all closed at 1:30pm on Saturday until Monday morning. Round here main roads are like rush hour all day on Sunday.
We appear to have lost weekends here they just like any other day, would love to be like the Germans where a weekend is a weekend.

Last edited:

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
It's one the biggest shocks when you are in away France - There are NO shops open on a Sunday!:madder:

That depends on the location. You can sometimes find a branch of the bigger supermarkets open in the more popular areas at least. Something like 9'30 am to about 12 12-30pm . Its far from universal and a bit haphazard though.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We appear to have lost weekends here they just like any other day, would love to be like the Germans where a weekend is a weekend.

Brother who lived in Germany rang up one Sunday when I was cutting the grass.
" What are you doing ?" " You'll be fined !". Yes , had to remind him it wasn't illegal in the Uk unfortunately.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Sunday working was a pain when I was working
We were a 24 hr emergency response company
Just had less staff saturday and Sunday
Used to drive 200 mile on a 11 hrs and 30 min shift
+30 min break and call on people to attend gas escapes
And defective gas meters
Where you finished didn't matter

The workforce agreed to salaried hours
Which meant no over time

----------------
Daughter works for specsavers clacton on sea
Sunday working laws not abided by

She starts 8-45 am finishes 16-30
30 break

Management don't work sat and Sunday
Staff reduced but customers are booked in
As a normal day :Eeek:

Me I'd ban Sunday trading altogether :pray:
Family's may enjoy being together :reel::blush:
:wink::wink:

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
That depends on the location. You can sometimes find a branch of the bigger supermarkets open in the more popular areas at least. Something like 9'30 am to about 12 12-30pm . Its far from universal and a bit haphazard though.

Not seen one yet - although we not often moving before 12pm ----------- any day!:rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back