Is 6.5Kg re-fillable big enough for Europe (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
My PVC has a small gas cupboard and can only take a 6.5Kg cylinder. I am thinking of installing a Gas-it system using a refillable replacement of the same size with the inlet pipe running down underneath the van to a inlet attached to the under skirt of the van.

Does anyone have this exact set up?

Is the inlet position too low?
and
If touring in Europe will I find I have to frequently refill the tank and will I struggle to find LPG and the tour will turn into a constant searching for gas every few days.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Can you fit an underslung gas tank? Depends on how much gas you use, so bit difficult to judge.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i have a Gasit system with refil pipe coming out the bottom / rear of the gas locker and the filler mounted in the vehicle side skirt below the floor. no problem

on the amount of gas that will entirely depend on time of year, type of sites or not. in the cooler months the heating will eat up the gas and in the summer the fridge if you are not on hook up. so thats not an easy calculation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
PS; i used this filler its a smaller hole in the skirt and therefore is more structurally secure.

Broken Link Removed

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Gas consumption will depend on so many things.

What time of year will you be travelling?

Where will you be travelling?

Do you use an electric hook-up? (and could have a small auxiliary heater)

We travel south (France and Spain) any time from late spring to early autumn. Our van can also only accommodate a single cylinder of gas, and whilst if would take an 11kg bottle we only in fact use a 6kg Calorlite bottle. And it comfortably lasts five or six weeks. But we do use hook-ups, and travel when it's warm.

Thinking about getting a refillable set-up for our new PVC however.

Mike

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
How long is a piece of string :xblink:?
I keep reading threads about extra batteries & solar panels being a necessity... and yet I've never run out of juice with just one.

I think the "sensible" & most economic answer is get the biggest one you can afford. Everything MH is compromise.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Plenty of LPG stations in Europe, 6.5 kg a bit small, but you can top up when ever time you pass an LPG pump.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@RidersofRohan Don't forget the refillable cylinders don't have a collar on the top like calor or similar so you may be able to fit a larger cylinder 11kg look on the Gasit website for sizes they seem to be cheaper than most especially if you fit yourself I fitted a twin Gasit 11 kg system to our Exsis without any trouble

OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks.
Many good points.
i suppose I am hoping to be able to travel one day in three and only use a site maybe twice a week for clothes washing / waste disposal etc and therefore only have access to electricity then. Rest of time fridge when not travelling would be on gas and similar for heating and cooking.
Suppose I am asking if we travel on day three, day six, day nine will I need to fill up on day 6 and if so would it become a nerve wracking experience trying to find lpg in France, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Austria and Italy knowing that I might run out by day 9 (if you see what I mean).

OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
@RidersofRohan Don't forget the refillable cylinders don't have a collar on the top like calor or similar so you may be able to fit a larger cylinder 11kg look on the Gasit website for sizes they seem to be cheaper than most especially if you fit yourself I fitted a twin Gasit 11 kg system to our Exsis without any trouble
Thanks I have plenty of headroom, but I have cut out the diameter of a 11kg cylinder in cardboard and it is too tight. I think 11kg would work in capacity terms but would need to go to an underslung tank for anything bigger than 6.5kg. Which would be very expensive I think.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@RidersofRohan Would be worth looking into there are lots of people on here that have done it,don't think it would be as expensive as you think.Gasit do them take a look on their website www.gasit.co.uk

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back