Replacement mirrors- what a result! (1 Viewer)

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
In Morocco earlier this year a French Motorhome crossed the white line and smacked the near side wing mirror on our Burstner Elegance. It was completely ruined, the back cover completely gone and the mirror itself crazed into a hundred pieces and dangling by the cable for the electric adjustment and heating.
On return to the UK I got a quote from the Burstner importer for a replacement: £570 for the mirror assembly, £65 for a back cover in the same colour as the bodywork to match the undamaged one and £40 labour.
Oh I forgot - plus 20% VAT on everything :(
I had identified from a label on the wreckage that it was a mirror produced by Mekra Lang in (Germany so I contacted their UK branch. They wouldn't sell directly to me but directed me to their local distributor whose price was very similar.
Recently I spotted Burstner mirrors on eBay but they were the manual version and in black for £78 each delivered! The ad gave a number to ring which I did as I wanted to be sure these would fit. Yes was the answer and even better, they were 10% cheaper because the company sold them to me direct and didn't have to pay eBay fees.
The seller?
Mekra Lang!
I ordered a pair so I would have a matching black pair on which I would put fluorescent stripes to hopefully make the mirrors more visible to oncoming French motorhomers.
I went today to the storage compound to fit them which didn't take very long, but as I was fitting the first one I noticed that there was what looked like a small electric socket, so I plugged in the dangling cable and hey presto they worked electrically!
RESULT!
I now have two matching mirrors that work electrically for about 20% of the cost of one ordered through the Motorhome dealer and I have a spare in case one of these gets clattered.
Christmas has come early!:xThumb::xThumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well done Mike.. Proper job

And people will still come on here and defend the dealer and say they are not ripping the ar$e out of us ..

Just makes me SO bloody angry !!

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Get a lottery ticket whilst your luck is this good! Well done & just goes to show that you shouldn't just accept the first price that your given.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
This is pretty typical for EVERYTHING involve with running a Vehicle in the UK. Just pay the money the man needs the money give the man the money. Treasure Island strikes again.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Somebody here paid a dealer over £1k to supply and fit a FIAT mirror you can get for £130 on EBay.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
The word Motorhome seems to be a licence to print money for manufacturers and for car manufacturers, I always try to scource spares elsewhere :xThumb:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I had the same problem with a French Rapido in Maroc first time we went. I found new mirrors on eBay Germany for €50 but I dithered about, the consequence being the auction ended and I finished up having to buy one from the sole UK motorhome dealer at just under £400. The make of the mirrors on our van is Wilke, another German make used on many A Class vans and coaches.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
And people will still come on here and defend the dealer and say they are not ripping the ar$e out of us
Just makes me SO bloody angry !!

Aw come on John. They've got to make a living. Think of all their staff costs \ overheads \ etc..... Not to mention all the time, effort and cost to do all their pre-delivery inspections!
:reel::moon2::boxing::clap2::imoutahere:

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
This reminded me we aiso had ours broke in Morocco and when I tried to replace was quoted over £340,so I replaced with a cheaply of eBay but it's rubbish.Had several looks for an original replacement over the months and missed 1at£100 just had another look because of this thread and one on for £69 + p&p.Order and hope it will be o/k coming from Germany.So thanks Mike,see you in Morocco..........Martin

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

Talking of expensive wing mirrors:), I had to replace a broken glass on my 1991 Renault Trafic.

Halfords wanted £18 for the glass but couldn't guarantee that it would fit.......

Nearly bought one of those emergency plastic types (very poor), then noticed a code number on the back of the mirror, looked it up on the internet..... same as a Landrover Defender..... new..... £7 inc VAT for the whole unit from the local LR dealer

:xThumb:

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Our Granddaghter had her door mirror glass broken, (Kia Picanto) main dealer wants £55 + vat, ordered one from mirrorman in Bury £25 Delivered, should be here Friday.

Eric

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back