caravan club bookings (1 Viewer)

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Yep, worked better than expected. Only had to try for about half an hour before being able to book Longleat Club Site for the weekend that Elton John has his concert in the grounds. Better start saving, going to be an expensive weekend!!:xThumb:

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
Glad you posted this i only wanted 1 booking and just got it :xThumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
Phones are down there and this morning the website was for a while. You would think that if they are going to persist with this annual bun fight they would get the infrastructure in place.

I still think charging a deposit would stop all this nonsense.

Managed our bookings on line about 20 mins ago.

OP
OP
Mr B

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Yes. Got to agree about the infrastructure, but not keen on the deposit thing.
Being from Yorkshire ;)
And anything can happen in the run up to your booking.....
It's our 1st year with the moho, so we have booked the sites nearest home for later next year. We want to be more independent and try more CL's etc...

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
Yes. Got to agree about the infrastructure, but not keen on the deposit thing.
Being from Yorkshire ;)
And anything can happen in the run up to your booking.....
The problem is that some people book numerous trip on the off chance they may want to go, blocking the dates for others.

All 4 bookings we have made we have no intention of cancelling and would have happily paid a deposit. If we then had to cancel and lose £15 or so it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We managed to get all our bookings we wanted as we need school holidays. Only ever had to cancel once when OH tore his Achilles and the van was snowed in on the drive . Quicker this year!

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Just booked for brighton at easter £105 for 3 nights its getting very expensive

I spent the second two weeks of September and all of October in France on aires, many had EHU and superb quite locations alongside canals and rivers like the Loire. In total I spent just over £200. I know its not an exact comparison but I simply wouldn't consider spending £105 for three nights, wherever it was.

There may come a time when don't want to go over the water and then it will be CL's and Caravan Club basic sites without facilities which are mostly £12 per night.

I understand that for one reason or another some prefer proper sites and of course it goes without saying that I wish you a great time, I am just highlighting how expensive CC site are in comparison to doing your own thing.

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
I spent the second two weeks of September and all of October in France on aires, many had EHU and superb quite locations alongside canals and rivers like the Loire. In total I spent just over £200. I know its not an exact comparison but I simply wouldn't consider spending £105 for three nights, wherever it was.

There may come a time when don't want to go over the water and then it will be CL's and Caravan Club basic sites without facilities which are mostly £12 per night.

I understand that for one reason or another some prefer proper sites and of course it goes without saying that I wish you a great time, I am just highlighting how expensive CC site are in comparison to doing your own thing.
I agree if i had the time i would be on an aire or acsi site in france at a fraction of the cost but only having 3 days we decided to stay in the uk being bank holiday it can be very hard to get a pitch on any site at a good rate roll on june when i will be in france

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I agree if i had the time i would be on an aire or acsi site in france at a fraction of the cost but only having 3 days we decided to stay in the uk being bank holiday it can be very hard to get a pitch on any site at a good rate roll on june when i will be in france

Agree with you that 3 days is not really long enough for France, although I know others do it for such short times. However, we opted out of CC after a year as only really use CLs and rallies and don't always know when we can get away.

We prefer the C&CC as we can always get to rallies or THS (Temporary Holiday Sites) at a moments notice, which you can't do with CC. Not sure whether their main sites are cheaper or not as have only used 2 or 3 in our 20 years membership!

Denise

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
We often use Www.pitchup.com. They take a deposit, but to be honest if I can't make the booking, loosing £3.00 or so, isn't the end of the world.

Plus I don't get a snotty letter from the CC about future bookings if I cancel less than 72 hours in advance. I got one earlier this year because I cancelled on line, 2 minutes under the 72 hour criteria.....

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Have to agree it is expensive - £357 for 14 nights in Edinburgh but we want to go to the festival. Will probably be the only CC booking or stay we make this year - we like Britstops, CLs and Aires and Stellplatz

Deleted User
Just booked four breaks in York over the Summer (too hot over the water) and also next Xmas :)
Possibly the Xmas trip maybe cancelled as this time next year would prefer to be over the water, but as like this year medical stuff dictates not able to go abroad, so I feel absolutely no guilt about booking up York over Xmas. If we don't end up going it will be snapped up.

:)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
9am this morning tried to book start Bay...for 2nd June...fully booked for three months ..cant believe that anyway got in to hillhead so pleased with that. Managed to book every cc&c site though with no problems.. Reason ,they take a deposit..good idea as I bet a fair few of those that block booked start bay and other sites will cancel later.

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
9am this morning tried to book start Bay...for 2nd June...fully booked for three months ..cant believe that anyway got in to hillhead so pleased with that. Managed to book every cc&c site though with no problems.. Reason ,they take a deposit..good idea as I bet a fair few of those that block booked start bay and other sites will cancel later.
My point exactly.

Deleted User
At least though with cc there is hope that closer the time availability will come up, I like that it's nice when browsing you spot an opening and snap it up :)
We got Xmas in York this year as our plans to go away overseas had to be shelved, so I started collecting the free days that popped up, eventually getting a run from 20th Dec to 29th Dec, the cc way of working allowed this and for us worked out brilliantly :)

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010

You can stay on 'proper sites' without extortionate prices. I stayed at a site in Cornwall last summer that had split from the CC because he didn't like the way they dictated the charges he had to apply. Everything was 'extra' He charged £15 a night for everything, even dogs!

At the end of the day, you have forked out a large wedge for a motorhome, you just want somewhere to park it!

Sorry if this is slightly off topic, but I came to this post to see if anything was going to change my opinion of CC sites, but actually it's just reinforced it.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
You pa
You can stay on 'proper sites' without extortionate prices. I stayed at a site in Cornwall last summer that had split from the CC because he didn't like the way they dictated the charges he had to apply. Everything was 'extra' He charged £15 a night for everything, even dogs!

At the end of the day, you have forked out a large wedge for a motorhome, you just want somewhere to park it!

Sorry if this is slightly off topic, but I came to this post to see if anything was going to change my opinion of CC sites, but actually it's just reinforced it.
you pays your money and takes your choice ,there's not much difference between a CC site and. CC&C site except as a solo camper CC&C sites are that much cheaper for me..

Deleted User
For us it's location location location, price although wouldn't pay just anything when we are in the UK we want to be in a particular location. Cc York might be expensive in campsite terms, at £100 for 4 nights, but for York where even pub stays and B&Bs are close to £100 a night, were are happy paying cc prices, wouldn't however pay their prices to be in a field miles from anywhere like the majority of their sites are. :D

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
My average cost per night on a CC&C site is £14 ,which I feel is great value .for use of nice clean toilets /showers etc..electric and waste disposal.my cost of course is due to the age concession and solo camper discount...i know club sites are not everyone's cup of tea but I like them as I know what to expect,and almost all of them have public transport very near ..

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I've booked a few trips for next spring, Bolton Abbey then on to York Rowntree Park but all the weekend slots had gone so opted for Monday to Friday, then after a trip home we're off to Baltic Wharf (if it's still there)where we can meet some old friends before heading down to north Devon where I baulked at another £110 for a few nights at Damage Barton before opting for Easewell Farm who've got some good offers on. Mind you we may cancel the lot and head for Sweden as we promised ourselves last year before events took over and Regina Lines lost their boat.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Just booked for brighton at easter £105 for 3 nights its getting very expensive

We were looking at somewhere for Easter and I did a double take when the CC was going to be over £30 a night.

I am not going to pay it though, rip off.

mto

Free Member
Aug 31, 2013
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
a newbie
I got on to the site at 8.50 and wanted to book the first weekend in December at Rowntree Park as it is my Wifes birthday, all weekends in December were fully booked.
As stated on this thread, people unashamedly book slots they know they are unlikely to use, a deposit, which I would be happy to pay, would solve this.
As for the pricing, it would appear people are happy to pay!

mto

Free Member
Aug 31, 2013
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
a newbie
Mind we were there last weekend and were evacuated on Saturday afternoon because of the River level, so maybe its not too bad that we couldn't book, does any one know if we will get a rebate?
I doubt it!

OP
OP
Mr B

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Mind we were there last weekend and were evacuated on Saturday afternoon because of the River level, so maybe its not too bad that we couldn't book, does any one know if we will get a rebate?
I doubt it!

We was also evacuated and had to leave via the back gate at around 6pm. When we handed the keys in the warden said we would get a refund, as soon as they could sort it.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Crikey! reading this thread reinforces the notion that 'we' in Britain are captive and held to ransome by these clubs simply because there is little alternative. The prices charged are tantamount to extortion and trade upon the fact that 'where else can you go?'

It is of course the law of supply and demand and whilst people continue to subscribe then the status quo is unlikely to change. I do not blame the clubs for charging what they do, they do it because they are in business and wish to make a profit. There is nothing wrong with that.

I do however, find it novel that the vast majority appear to willingly accept overpricing and poor service. In many other trades this would not happen, people would vote with their feet and go elsewhere..................... and now we are back to the cause of the problem :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have let my membership of the CC lapse and I won't be in a rush to renew it.

France? hell yeah, probably the most motorhome friendly country in Europe :whistle:

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Crikey! reading this thread reinforces the notion that 'we' in Britain are captive and held to ransome by these clubs simply because there is little alternative. The prices charged are tantamount to extortion and trade upon the fact that 'where else can you go?'

It is of course the law of supply and demand and whilst people continue to subscribe then the status quo is unlikely to change. I do not blame the clubs for charging what they do, they do it because they are in business and wish to make a profit. There is nothing wrong with that.

I do however, find it novel that the vast majority appear to willingly accept overpricing and poor service. In many other trades this would not happen, people would vote with their feet and go elsewhere..................... and now we are back to the cause of the problem :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have let my membership of the CC lapse and I won't be in a rush to renew it.

France? hell yeah, probably the most motorhome friendly country in Europe :whistle:

Expensive?no ! Vfm yes! ....bad service never from either club in 30yrs. ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back